spartan13

Help W/ Photo During Inflight Emergency

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:25 am

I need opinions on a photo that was taken during an actual in-flight emergency that occured yesterday while I was riding in the aircraft. To make a long story short our right engine was having trouble so the crew shut down the engine in-flight. In the picture you can actually see the prop feathered. Its the best result I can get as I was strapped in pretty tight. Is this picture worthy of being uploaded? check the link below.

http://www.xplanefreeware.net/~fiveholer/Images/RVS8-16-05.jpg

Ralph
Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images (Charles Barkley said it best "Oklahoma is a vast wasteland")

atomother

RE: Help W/ Photo During Inflight Emergency

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:51 am

Nice, I like it!

What was the problem with the engine? How was the landing? Any more pictures of the rest of the instruments?

Newark777

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:25 am

I'd say crop as much of the guy out as you can. You can still get the prop in without the distracting pilot.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

spartan13

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:31 am

Well the problem started enroute to COS. It had something to due with fuel being distributed to the right engine. ATC was notified of the situation but a emergency was not declared yet. We ended diverting to APA because weather was alot better. ATC informed us that they would roll out the equipment at APA just as a precaution. We landed at APA safely and I'll tell you what those last 45mins of the flight were veeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy long. A mechanic was flown in from Tulsa to repair the part. Fellow photographer Danny Fritsche also came along so we enjoyed a couple of hours of great spotting at APA. Hours later we were ready to go so we left APA for RVS and about an 1hr out the right engine was beginning to show the fuel/power problems again except this time it was getting worse. It finally got bad enought that my instructor declared the emergency and informed ATC that the right engine would be shut down in-flight. When the engine was shut down it was very smooth. Barely any yaw was fealt, the actual landing was beautiful and smmmmooooth. After rolling off the runway I told my instructor that his one engine landing was better than his 2 engine landings. Danny sorry you had to go through all that yesterday.

I have one photo in the queue of us on final to APA. In the distance you can see the crash/rescue

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/N123SK_APA8-16-05.jpg
Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images (Charles Barkley said it best "Oklahoma is a vast wasteland")

Fiveholer

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:39 am

Haha...there were a few tense moments especially at 17,000 feet near Enid!  Wink Besides that, it was a GREAT experience, one that I won't soon forget! I would go again without hesitation! It was a great day at APA standing next to our plane by the taxiway. Nice spotting there!  Wink Anyway...unfortunately I wasn't able to get any decent inflight shots. I got plenty while waiting for our mechanic to be flown in while at APA. Brian and Chris did a hell of a job bringing our wounded bird down! Well done.

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

photopilot

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:42 am

IMHO neither of these should be accepted.

The first image with the prop simply doesn't tell the story, and is badly composed etc.

Second photo is the same. Runway is only half visible, the crash vehicles simply are not visible and again, poor composition.

Sorry, while I can appreciate you tried to get something in a difficult situation, they aren't worth uploading.

spartan13

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:55 am

Well I was strapped into my seat during taking the photos so I had very minimal room to work with.

photopilot

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 am

Quoting Spartan13 (Thread starter):
Is this picture worthy of being uploaded?

Please don't get defensive or feel hurt Ralph. You asked for an opinion and all I have done is express one. As I said, I can appreciate the difficulties you faced, but unfortunately even if a photo is difficult to take, it doesn't lower A.net standards.

And remember, you know the details of what is going on. Put yourself in the position where you have no idea what the photos portray. Would you still make sense of them.
Imagine if you will, posting the photos without ANY info what-so-ever and asking this forum, "Can you tell me what's happening in these photos?" And honestly, nobody would probably get it right. For sure NOBODY would spot the emergency vehicles or know this is an emergency landing. The photos simply don't provide the info in a visual way. And the quality is less than A.net standards.

Hang in there, as that's life.

Steve

spartan13

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:34 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 7):
Please don't get defensive or feel hurt Ralph.

Oh don't worry I didn't take it badly. I did ask for opinions and I got one. Its as simple as that. I was stating that I was seated at the time so it was hard to get a good shot.

Ralph

waketurbulence

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:25 pm

Very interesting story Ralph, I am glad all involved are ok, except maybe the aircraft  Big grin. As for the photos, I agree that even though it is a rare shot and situation with a camera involved it is marginal at best, I have seen all of your shots and enjoy your work, but these two are not your best. Talk to you later.
-Matt

cboyes

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:26 pm

But on a positive note, at least the horizon is level.

vzlet

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 7):
Put yourself in the position where you have no idea what the photos portray. Would you still make sense of them.
Imagine if you will, posting the photos without ANY info what-so-ever and asking this forum, "Can you tell me what's happening in these photos?" And honestly, nobody would probably get it right.

Steve, I think the view that the photo itself must always convey everything may be unnecessarily restrictive. The database contains numerous photos that may be of sub-par quality but depict an unusual aircraft, event, or incident, even if the unusual aspect isn't obvious in the shot itself. Properly used, the "remarks" field can be a great enhancement.

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid