dc10tim

Can't Seem To Get Things Looking Right!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:47 am

Hi everyone,

I seem to be going through a spell where I can't seem to get any of my shots looking to my satisfaction. Maybe I'm being a little pedantic, but I'd like it if someone could pass comment on these two below. The first one generally seems to be a bit soft all over, but there are areas where I have tried to remove jaggies and got a "fuzziness". Also, in trying to centre the plane I've cut off some of the fin. Does this lower the overall appearance?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/gthohshortfinal02.jpg

The second one is this:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/gbdfz2.jpg

Does it seem level? Obviously there is no reference to work with, but it just seems a little leaning to the right.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

GVerbeeck

RE: Can't Seem To Get Things Looking Right!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:56 am

Hi Tim,

both shots look fine to me and shouldn't have any major problems making it.

The Cessna seems level; the cut-off stabilizer on the Thomson is a personal thing among photographers, some include it and some don't...  Wink

Giovanni

GPHOTO

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi Tim,

Second one is definitely ok. Slight angle yes, but that could be sloping ground, a slightly flat tyre, etc etc. It doesn't look unbalanced although I personally might have turned it a little. If rejected, just a slight counter-clockwise turn will remedy the problem.

First one, cut of tail part can be ok, as Giovanni says it is a personal thing. You'll find photos in the database with that part cut off and ones where it has been left in, but from this angle it can create an uncentred look if you leave it in. However, both seem to be acceptable here.

Sharpness seems alright, not the sharpest but ok. I know the logo on the body seems a bit fuzzy round the edges, but this seems quite a common phenomena with this colour scheme. I've seen it on my own and other images. I must admit I really don't like this scheme at all, at least from a photography point of view.

Good luck and best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

QantasA332

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:41 pm

Both shots look fine to me! The cropped-out horizontal stabiliser in the first photo isn't a problem at all; as Giovanni said, it's a matter of personal preference whether you leave the whole stabiliser in or not.

Cheers,
Gabriel

dc10tim

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:33 am

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I'm feeling more inclined to leave them in the queue now and see what happens.

Tim.

dc10tim

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:27 am

Hi again,

After deciding that I would leave the shots above in the queue, I'm now having problems with the colour.

Here is one that I've uploaded, that after comparison with another photographer's efforts from the same day I thought looked very dull;

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/garnj.jpg

After playing around for ages in Photoshop I've managed to bring the colours out more, but I think that I've way overdone it with the saturation now. Look at the barn door in the distance, it seems to have an orange glow to it, which is even more noticable on the thumbnail;

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/garnj2.jpg

What should I do to enhance the colours of the first one, and get them looking more accurate? I must confess I am really out of my depth when it comes to messing about with colour, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.