VSA340600
Topic Author

Flagstaff For 5 Days Where To Go?

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:33 am

Hi All,

I'm heading to Flagstaff, Arizona for 5 days in October and am wondering on where to go to photograph aircraft in various state (Flying, Stored, Museum)
Has anyone got experience on photography in that area of the U.S. and what I can be expected to photo, I'm hoping to get to Kingman if possible.

Also, off topic, am looking for possible photo opportunity of trains (U.P. BNSF, Norfolk Southern and many others).

Please let me know either via the websie or direct to mathewbantick@aol.com

I'm traveling from United Kingdom.

Cheers

Mathew
Virgin Atlantic all the way!!!

clickhappy

RE: Flagstaff For 5 Days Where To Go?

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:06 am

check out www.cactuswings.com for all things desert southwest.

Lots of Santa Fe heavy action to photograph

skyliner

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:03 am

Agree w/ Royal about the rail action. Plenty of good spots both east (Winona, called Darling on the railroad, has a nice overpass with a good view of the mountains to the west) and west (area west of Williams Jct. is known as the Crookston Cutoff) with a huge volume of trains (all freight except for an Amtrak in each direction daily). Might also want to look at the Grand Canyon Railway in Williams.
George

johndm1957

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting VSA340600 (Thread starter):
Hi All,

I'm heading to Flagstaff, Arizona for 5 days in October and am wondering on where to go to photograph aircraft in various state (Flying, Stored, Museum)
Has anyone got experience on photography in that area of the U.S. and what I can be expected to photo, I'm hoping to get to Kingman if possible.

Also, off topic, am looking for possible photo opportunity of trains

Well your not far from the Grand Canyon and its airport...lots of stuff there, and heaven if you like helicopters. Recommend you fly the Canyon....It should be compulsory!

On the way there, you'll pass Planes of Fame museum at Valle..well worth a look.

Where are you staying in Flagstaff? I can recommend the Best Western Pony Soldier, 3030 East Route 66, Flagstaff, Arizona 86004. Stayed there a few times, and the railroad is just accoss the street...I just love the sound of those horns!

Don't forget to visit Meteor Crater nearby too...
Canon 550D, 18-55, 50 1.8, 100-400L

DLKAPA

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:30 am

Quoting Johndm1957 (Reply 3):
I just love the sound of those horns!

Should be a pretty cheap room then Big grin
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same