Airplanepics
Topic Author

Would This Be Badmotv?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:03 am

Hi all,

Was playing around with some shots from last year, when I came a wide(ish) angle of a CFM56 from an easyJet airbus:

Seeing as it was a dull day, it's not the brightest of pictures - but would this angle warrant a badmotiv rejection?

Cheers,
Simon Nicholls
Simon - London-Aviation.com

SA006

RE: Would This Be Badmotv?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:25 am

Hi Simon  wave 

Tricky one. I think this comes down to the screeners personal thoughts on the photo. Its a 50/50 photo. Depends on the screener IMO.

Nice photo though and I wish you luck with your upload. Perhaps someone with a little more experience canhelp you further.

-SA006
Proudly South African

TZ

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:26 am

Looks like badmotiv to me. Rather an unbalanced view, with nothing eye-popping about it. Perhaps if there was a cool late-evening warm sun glinting on the fan blades, and the gear was positioned more sympathetically, then it could be a great shot. As it is it looks rather like a snapshot rather than a carefully considered composition.

TZ
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

Granite

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:27 am

Simon

Nice clean and sharp photo but would possibly be rejected I think........unless you can Photohop a tart in the engine nacelle with her assets showing...........ooops, forgot they are badmotive now too  Smile

Regards

Gary

Airplanepics
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:30 am

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 2):
As it is it looks rather like a snapshot rather than a carefully considered composition.

That's exactly what it was, just thought it was interesting...that's all....
Quoting Granite (Reply 3):
Nice clean and sharp photo but would possibly be rejected I think........unless you can Photohop a tart in the engine nacelle with her assets showing...........ooops, forgot they are badmotive now too

I'll have a word with easyJet to tell them that they need some form of special livery on their engines then!

[Edited 2005-09-12 22:32:44]

bigphilnyc

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 2):
with nothing eye-popping about it. Perhaps if there was a cool late-evening warm sun glinting on the fan blades, and the gear was positioned more sympathetically, then it could be a great shot.

Not to nitpick, but is Anet only accepting "eye-popping" shots now?

I was surprised to see this photo because I thought it was honestly one of the most well-compositioned engine shots I've ever seen. Good angle and an evne crop with nothing distracitng.

You're not seriously suggesting that if a shot isn't drop dead gorgeous that it can't get into the d/b, are you?

Kind regards,

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

LGW

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:50 am

Phil,

I don't mean to second guess Tamsin but I assume she meant that an engine shot such as this would need to be "eye-popping" in order to be accepted into the database, not all shots in general

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

TZ

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting LGW (Reply 6):
don't mean to second guess Tamsin but I assume she meant that an engine shot such as this would need to be "eye-popping" in order to be accepted into the database, not all shots in general

Ben, as always the voice of reason. Second-guess away - you're bang on the money as usual.

TZ

Knighty

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:43 am

I would say Bad Motiv - to me it isn't a shot of the engine but just a shot of the cowling. If you had have moved round to your left a bit and were able to include some of the fan in the shot IMO it would be a much more interesting shot.

Knighty
Ian Knight - Proud Canon shooter!

bigphilnyc

Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Didn't mean to jump that gun. Although engine shots might not be the most exciting, I think shots like that are as good as an engine shot can be expected to be.

Regards,

-Phil Derner Jr.
Phil Derner Jr.

LIPH

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:49 pm

Quoting SA006 (Reply 1):
I think this comes down to the screeners personal thoughts on the photo

I think this is happening far too much. An enjoyable website is now more similar to the limbo and the screeners are more similar to Gods...

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

IL76

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 10):
An enjoyable website is now more similar to the limbo and the screeners are more similar to Gods...

Yes, and don't forget to bow when you see us...

Very easy to blame others, isn't it? Of course you think your own shots are the bomb, everybody does, but there are almost 30 screeners who disagree.
When you feel that a judge passes wrong judgement in court, does that make him incapable? His years of studying his all wasted time? Think about it...

If you want you shots on the internet, you can always upload to myaviation.net.

Eduard

TZ

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 10):
I think this is happening far too much. An enjoyable website is now more similar to the limbo and the screeners are more similar to Gods...

LIPH - No, this is not a West Indian dancing website. Perhaps you typed in the wrong URL?

Contrary to what has been said above, and LIPH infers, screeners are not making decisions based on personal whims. We are here to implement the rules which Johan has set, and the Head Screeners and screeners have mutually agreed are universally applicable. I accept and reject based on those criteria, not my own. The others screeners all do the same.

Airplanepics asked for some opinions, and he received those. If he wishes to know whether it will be accepted or not, then the only way to know for sure is to upload it. If three separate screeners believe it is in accordance with the airliners.net standards, it will be accepted. If a mistake is made (yes, we are human and admit to making mistakes) then the opporunity exists for the Head Screeners to review a appeal.

Anyhow, whatever is said or whatever procedures are put into place, some people will continue with the conspiracy theories.

Tamsin

LIPH

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:27 pm

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 12):
We are here to implement the rules which Johan has set, and the Head Screeners and screeners have mutually agreed are universally applicable

Screeners are human being and as human being make mistakes. I see many pics of fellow photographers which are not implemented in the db with no apparent reason, and some other pics are in db with no apparent reason as well. As long as there will be human being to judge there will always be the chance of error. Have you ever thought, instead, of implement a new computer based screening process ? Could be worth a try...

Regards

Granite

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi all

Quoting LIPH (Reply 13):
Have you ever thought, instead, of implement a new computer based screening process ? Could be worth a try...

LIPH, you have started early with the silly posting's today haven't you?

Regards

Gary

LIPH

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 14):

LIPH, you have started early with the silly posting's today haven't you?

Granite, surely after you did...

Regards

Gary2880

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:25 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 11):
Yes, and don't forget to bow when you see us...

oh I do, then slowly crawl away backwards in reverence

Quoting LIPH (Reply 13):
Have you ever thought, instead, of implement a new computer based screening process ?

ahhhh well little do you know.... I know I'm not realllly supposed to do this, but I have highly classified pictures of one of the screeners (mentioning no names) at a photography spot around ABZ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Gary2880/MrW.jpg

hope he can forgive me in letting his secret out...
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

LGW

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Gary,

"I have highly classified pictures of one of the screeners (mentioning no names) at a photography spot around ABZ"

Was it rush hour at ABZ when that photo was taken?  duck 

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

Key

Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:34 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 11):
Of course you think your own shots are the bomb, everybody does

Eduard, rest assured, certainly not everybody does. To see this as an ultimate goal is another thing  Wink

At times it may be hard to understand a rejection but looking harder usually helps. In other words: the screeners are good at what they do, they pick out more anomalies than many uploaders do themselves. And yes, the rules are complicated.

Erik

jumbojim747

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 13):
Have you ever thought, instead, of implement a new computer based screening process ? Could be worth a try..

You cant be serious ?
That's like saying who needs a human being to fly a plane let the computers do it .
Nah humans are needed for the job and this crop of screeners are doing a fine job.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

IL76

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:48 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 19):
You cant be serious ?

The scary thing is: He is serious...  dopey 

SA006

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting LIPH (Reply 13):
see many pics of fellow photographers which are not implemented in the db with no apparent reason,

Reasons for the rejection of a photo come in an e-mail from the screeners  Smile

-SA006
Proudly South African

EZYAirbus

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting Granite (Reply 3):
unless you can Photohop a tart in the engine nacelle with her assets showing

Ahhh i remember that day, day trip to Dismal Dortmund, as for the tart in the nacelle, our captain that day was stunning, Sapho De Mulder she is called, see her many times at LTN, always gives you a lovely smile, she would look lovely in the engine!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Airplanepics
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 22):
Ahhh i remember that day, day trip to Dismal Dortmund, as for the tart in the nacelle, our captain that day was stunning, Sapho De Mulder she is called, see her many times at LTN, always gives you a lovely smile, she would look lovely in the engine!

Apart from she was aged around the 40 mark!  Wink

EZYAirbus

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:19 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 23):
Apart from she was aged around the 40 mark!

After seeing her close up mate many times and having a laugh with her she certainly younger than that, younger than 35 easily, stunningly beautiful!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com