DC3
Topic Author

Turweston And Old Sarum Airfields

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 pm

Does anything ever happen at Turweston? I visit occasionally on my journeys south and it seems an easy-going place with plenty of access for good photography but there's never anything flying. Does anyone know if there are rallies or fly-ins during the summer months?

Same with Old Sarum - does anyone have dates for rallies there?

My main interest is vintage aircraft.

Many thanks,

Chris

redfox

RE: Turweston And Old Sarum Airfields

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Turweston is a busy GA airfield. However Turweston is not licenced on Sundays and depending on staff some Saturdays. If you are planning a visit give the tower a telephone call before hand and ask whether they are licenced.

Almost at the threshold for 27 is an entry road which will provide excellent photo opportunities.

Have fun

Stephen Fox

DC3
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks for the information, Stephen. Having popped in once or twice the location looks as though it has great potential - the only thing missing has been any activity!

I'll keep an eye out for events there, though, my main interest being old timers.

I liked your website, by the way - great design, nice photos.

Chris

PS Old Sarum anyone?

redfox

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Chris,

Aircraft Illustrated has the dates for Turweston fly-ins and events, I don't have a copy but look at the beginning of the year as I remember something like a daffodil and valentine fly-ins. Of course subject to VFR (Visual Flight Rules) bring and GA into an airfield.

Breighton, North Weald and Old Warden are good for warbirds. Sorry I know nothing about Old Sarum.

Thanks for the compliment on the website.

Stephen Fox

bjcc

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:57 am

I've been to Old Serum a few times.

Lots of GA activity at the weekends, and good places to take photos from too. There are also a lot of microlights.

BernieC