DLX737200

East Winds @ LAX: Where To Shoot From?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:35 am

Hello everybody. I will be at LAX on the 13th and 14th shooting all day both days and I need to know where are the best places to shoot if the winds are easterly. I know this is a rare event at LAX but I want to be prepared if the event rises. I know Imperial Hill is still good, if not nicer but where else? Also, anyone want to come out and shoot with me? I know there is a big meet there on the 8th/9th but I had already booked my trip at the time the annoucement was made regarding the meet.

-Justin

waketurbulence

RE: East Winds @ LAX: Where To Shoot From?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:04 am

I have been there during reverse ops at LAX, and it seems Imperial Hill is still the best viewing place for landings on the 7's.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jerry Search
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jerry Search

Here are some good pics from Jerry Search. The lighting this time of year favors Imperial Hill, and it is a good viewing site. It would be fairly rare for you to see Santa Ana winds, but it is always good to be prepared I guess. Have fun!
-Matt

gocaps16

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:15 am

Reserve pattern is really nice to see at LAX, Justin. Both pictures shown above is when the planes are landing on runway 7R, the closest runway from the Hill and this is the time of the year where SoCal gets the Santa Ana easterly winds. I'll be in LAX 2 weeks after for one day, then flying back to VA the next day. Have fun in LAX. I'll be seeing my Blue Angels fly that weekend at Miramar.

Kevin

mikey

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:18 pm

Yea Imperial Hill is the best spot for photographing 7R & L arrivals. Personally I like photographing rwy 7 landings than rwy 25 takeoffs. Usually they have reverse traffic before,during, and after it rains. I look at this website below that shows what runways they are using at LAX.

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html
Ex LAX, LGB, SNA aviation photographer