aileron11

What Is A Good Camera To Buy

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:45 am

Can someone tell me what is a good camera to buy for beginners. I would like to start a new hobby in photographing airplanes. Aviation always been interest of mine. On this A.net a lot of good pictures kind sparked my interest in photographing airplanes.
Jersey Lou

AdamWright

RE: What Is A Good Camera To Buy

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 am

my old digital rebel  Wink

aileron11

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:05 am

Are you trying to funny!
Jersey Lou

martinairyyz

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:08 am

I reckon this would be a great place to begin!

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

Being more serious....a Digital Rebel if you have $700us for the kit, or a digital compact if you don't have the money.
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

aileron11

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:10 am

Hey, that looks like a good one were can I buy it and how much is it,
Jersey Lou

martinairyyz

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:19 am

Quoting Aileron11 (Reply 4):
Hey, that looks like a good one were can I buy it and how much is it,

You can find it at http://www.toyscamp.com/viewproduct.asp?productId=SG7401049 Ôîð îíëú $14.99... à great price, it has audio capabilities too!
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

ArmitageShanks

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:28 am

www.dpreview.com is a good place to start.

Take a look at all the camera reviews and side-by-side comparisons and then once you've narrowed down your price range, etc come back and we can help you better decide.

n314as

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:33 am

If you want digital.....Canon is the one. They have various great products.
I would recommend something above a Rebel but less than the top model
(too expensive) for serious photogs. I have a 10D and it has served well. I will upgrade in the future. Nikon guys tell you that Canon is plastic junk....but just look at ANY sporting and news event......I only see Canon.

Of course......BASIC PHOTGRAPHY RULES STILL APPLY IN DIGITAL... Full frame, lighting, slower speeds for prop aircraft, etc. Those that buy a digital and then crop the shot to make it look full frame, lose on the resolution on the photo......so if you buy good resolution, use it for what it is worth regardless of model.

Joe F
No signature

aileron11

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:27 am

Hey everyone thanks for all that info it looks like I am going for the canon powershot S1IS. I forgot to tell you guys that I work at EWR should get a lot of practice taking pictures there.
Jersey Lou

Kukkudrill

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Martinairyyz (Reply 3):
a Digital Rebel if you have $700us for the kit

Throw in that much again for a lens with enough reach. Funny how often people forget the lenses when recommending DSLRs.
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

Drew757

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:31 am

I am just about to buy the canon rebel XT, but I am having a hard time choosing the color. Which color would you guys recommended, black or silver?

cmd777300er

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:19 pm

Quote:
am just about to buy the canon rebel XT, but I am having a hard time choosing the color. Which color would you guys recommended, black or silver?

I like the black. It looks professional.

GPHOTO

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:37 pm

Quoting CMD777300ER (Reply 11):

But does the silver look better with a white 'L' glass lens, than a black body?  Smile

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

flyingzacko

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:29 pm

Better to have professional looking photos than just the camera.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

mygind66

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
Can someone tell me what is a good camera to buy for beginners

I've replied this in another topics but let's say again.. Consider two options:
1. DSLR because are the best types of cameras for digital av. photography but mind about the price.. The problem is not the body, IS the lens.. Canon builds the best pro lenses ( L series... with/grey color..) but the amount of money you have to spend is quite considerable.. One of the best all around lenses is the 100-400 IS L but price goes about 1000$ I think....
2. Compact cameras with some good, very good cameras. Here you can't change lenses but some of the have a nice telephoto. A good example is this: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...2&cachePartner=7000000000000005702
The optics are brillant and the zoom is quite good, enough for av. photography and half price considering a DSLR...

Hope that helps

Enrique

ANITIX87

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Mygind66 (Reply 14):
A good example is this: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...2&cachePartner=7000000000000005702
The optics are brillant and the zoom is quite good, enough for av. photography and half price considering a DSLR...

The website doesn't say it's a DSLR. Is it actually one or not? It seems like a good deal, considering it has a 420mm equivalent!

I was so close to buying a camera last week and my mom went nuts about how there is NO way she's going to let me spend 600 dollars on a camera when I've never had my own camera before!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

mygind66

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:41 am

TIS..

Sorry for that error, the comparison is between DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses and what I said 'compacts' being this Panasonic a digital one but a SLR (single lens reflex) too...

Enrique

fergulmcc

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:30 pm

For those that may be interested, Canon are offering a cash back of £100 or €150 on the 20D. I bought mine earlier this month and sent away the forms for the cash back, and just under two weeks after sending the forms away I have my cash back paid directly into my account. It was very easy to do and the online filling in form ensures that you fill it incorrectly, print it off and then post it. In other words with the cash back you can get a 20D body for £799.

Take care

Fergul  sun 
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Kukkudrill

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 17):
For those that may be interested, Canon are offering a cash back of £100 or €150 on the 20D.

Bought from where? Any UK shop?
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

fergulmcc

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 18):
Bought from where? Any UK shop?

Yes but EU as well, just check their site and you will see all the countries that qualify for it. I bought mine in the UK but sent the forms to an address in Ireland and still got my cash back, However I think in spain they will only send a cheque, wire transfer is not possible, not sure why.

Take care

Fergul  sun 

ZSOFN

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:33 pm

I've got a Fuji Finepix S5500 (S5200 in the US) and it's great for the price. I got it for £175 including rechargeable battery set. Have a look here.

Here are some photos I've taken with it:

http://tomcollins.deviantart.com/gallery

Great for beginners who aren't willing or able to shell out on a DSLR, but want something packed with features.

DLKAPA

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:10 am

Why in gods name is there 3 + of the first replies telling a beginner to get a DSLR?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

eadster

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 21):
Why in gods name is there 3 + of the first replies telling a beginner to get a DSLR?

Thats right, Beginner is the main word there. A beginner is not for the life of them going to get the hang of a DSLR.

Decent point and shoot for starts. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

DLKAPA

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:27 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 22):

Decent point and shoot for starts. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

You have to learn to swim before you jump off the deep end.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ANITIX87

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:09 pm

Ah, but here's another dilemma. They now have Point-and-Shoot DSLR's like the Kodak Easyshare Z740 (which I am going to buy) and Fuji one listed above. They have 370mm equivalent zoom, which is just awesome, and have pretty fast continuous shooting. Looks like a deal. The Kodak is only 264 dollars, which is not bad.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

LuckyEddie

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:29 pm

Thats right, Beginner is the main word there. A beginner is not for the life of them going to get the hang of a DSLR.

Why on earth? My first camera was an SLR and I did not feel as though it was way ahead of me at all. The settings and principals are exactly the same but you get better lenses,better handling, more flexibility and, in the case of digital, much better overall quality IMHO. If a beginner is sufficiently interested and able to spend the money then I would recommend a DSLR to start with.

JeffM

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Why handicap someone learning to crawl by giving them a point and shoot? Shooting pictures of airplanes isn't brain surgery, either is using an SLR, digital, or not. It's a camera, you learn how to use it, ....

....your walking, and you have not scraped up your knees....

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 24):
They now have Point-and-Shoot DSLR's like the Kodak Easyshare Z740

the Kodak Z740 is a point and shoot, not an SLR.

GPHOTO

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:32 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 26):
Why handicap someone learning to crawl by giving them a point and shoot? Shooting pictures of airplanes isn't brain surgery, either is using an SLR, digital, or not. It's a camera, you learn how to use it, ....

Agreed, in some respects. I think the biggest obstacle for a beginner is not whether they will grasp the basics of using a DSLR, but whether they can justify the cost compared to the usage they will get. Getting the right kit for aviation photography can be relatively expensive for many, and a Canon 100-400mm L lens is not going to get much use for family shots around the house if you give up on the aircraft shooting.

Buying a well specified point-and-shoot will get you going. You'll have to learn, it will teach you much of what you need to know (plus generally good auto mode for when you are really stuck about what to do), cost is not too high, quality is usually adequate enough for many situations (choose your camera carefully!). Biggest problem is the quality difference to DSLR, especially noise issues. I don't think the problems are insurmountable in the long run - you will have to learn how to make the best of it by tweaking your camera settings, your shooting locations and editing skills, all things that will be invaluable training for the future anyway. Yes, quality problems are a pain with point-and-shoots, but that is the price of having an affordable camera. Try to think of it as a glass half full rather than half empty and it will make you a better photographer in the long run. I use a Panasonic FZ-20 and have learned how to get the best from it. In many situations it performs just fine, but I do loose shots that I feel a DSLR would have got successfully. If you get the bug, you can upgrade to DSLR and sell the point-and-shoot or keep it as a handy backup. By this time you should have learned enough from the point-and-shoot to know what to look for in a DSLR and lens.

By all means, go DSLR if you can afford it (you'll never look back), but I think many beginners would be better advised starting with a decent point-and-shoot if budget is a major factor.

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

fergulmcc

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 21):

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 23):
You have to learn to swim before you jump off the deep end.

Oh for goodness sake Eric, He's a beginner so therefore he's not allowed to have a DSLR??? You make it sound like he has no brain. You can still learn the basics with a DSLR, it's not rocket science!
I will admit that my first digital was a point and shoot but not by choice, it was a Samsung 2mb that I got for Christmas. but then I got my 10D, and I learnt more with my 10D than with my Samsung. I couldn't change the ISO or the aperture or shutter speed with the Samsung. My first 35mm film camera was a SLR. If a beginner was to as me what camera to buy I would tell them to get a good second hand D/SLR so that they can learn all the basics. Obviously budget is a factor. Once you have a grip of the basics it's just practice practice practice and read as many books as you can get you hands on.

Quoting GPHOTO (Reply 27):
By all means, go DSLR if you can afford it (you'll never look back), but I think many beginners would be better advised starting with a decent point-and-shoot if budget is a major factor.

You can get point and shoots that are almost SLR types, the biggest problem with a point and shoot is the lag time! I was looking for a camera for a friends father and I found the Fuji S9000. Almost SLR type and and has all the functions of a DSLR even TTL metering and a lag time of just 0.1 sec. At $699 you can't go wrong. B&H class it as an advanced digital camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
But if budget is not an option then get a DSLR and some good glass and have fun Big grin

Take care

Fergul  sun 

DLKAPA

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:44 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 28):
Oh for goodness sake Eric, He's a beginner so therefore he's not allowed to have a DSLR??? You make it sound like he has no brain. You can still learn the basics with a DSLR, it's not rocket science!

That's not at all what I'm saying. Of course you can learn basic camera functions with a DSLR as with any camera that has manual control over Aperture and Shutterspeed, and any idiot can figure out the relationship sooner or later, most likely sooner. What I'm saying is there are digicams out there with a good zoom, fully manual control and they're floating around on e-bay for around 100 bucks used. On top of that, the quality is a.networthy, I've seen it. I'm probably going to get one as a backup.

The reason I advocate basic point and shoot (with manual control and 10x zoom) over DSLR to a beginner is not ease of learning, it's initial investment. What happens 3 months from now when a brand new 20D and 100-400L is collecting dust in the closet because the owner decided they weren't into aviation photography? There goes a huge chunk of cash. Now what happens when a P&S owner decides they arent into aviation, but still have a handy digicam for family portraits and the snapshots of family outings?

My advice would be to step up, don't jump up, because if you step up the financial "fall" is softer. Get a point and shoot, use it for a few months, if you decide you're not into airliner photography you've not lost too much, you might still find it a handy digicam to have around. If you decide you're into it, by all means DSLR is the way to go, and will be very rewarding.

fergulmcc

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:06 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 29):
The reason I advocate basic point and shoot (with manual control and 10x zoom) over DSLR to a beginner is not ease of learning, it's initial investment. What happens 3 months from now when a brand new 20D and 100-400L is collecting dust in the closet because the owner decided they weren't into aviation photography? There goes a huge chunk of cash. Now what happens when a P&S owner decides they arent into aviation, but still have a handy digicam for family portraits and the snapshots of family outings?

Point taken! Then a middle of the road camera should be a good starting point as sometime a point and shoot camera can be more frustrating than anyhting when all you want to do is take a photo and you have to wait for the dam thing to focus, and you will loose interest in the whole thing. Try and get a camera with a low lag time.

Take care

Fergul  sun 

PS You're up early Eric!, can't sleep?

DLKAPA

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:09 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 30):
PS You're up early Eric!, can't sleep?

Yeah I don't get it, lately this week I've had some pretty lanky insomnia. It's like 2am right now and I have a 2 hour lecture class at 8am.

fergulmcc

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:23 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 31):
It's like 2am right now and I have a 2 hour lecture class at 8am.

Knowing your luck you'll be fast asleep in the class, I've nearly done that!

Take care

Fergul   

Have you tried the Dr.?? Dr. Jack Daniels Big grin

[Edited 2005-10-27 10:26:40]

willo

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Get a point and shoot, use it for a few months, if you decide you're not into airliner photography you've not lost too much, you might still find it a handy digicam to have around. If you decide you're into it, by all means DSLR is the way to go,

This is exactly the route I took. I bought an Olympus C750 in 2004, partly because I had a trip to India later in the year and partly because I wanted to have a go shooting planes again after a 30 year gap. A year later (and 400 shots on anet) I decided I was enjoying the planes and decided I could justify the expense of upgrading to a DSLR. I still use the Olympus for family days out or when I'm out on my bike and don't want to lug the "big" camera and lenses about. I certainly don't think I could have justified going for a DSLR and the necessary extras straight off.

JeffM

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:49 am

What happens 3 months from now when a brand new 20D and 100-400L is collecting dust in the closet because the owner decided they weren't into aviation photography?

? It can still take photos of mundane things like your family, friends, scenery.... Junk like that. Big grin And the 100-400L makes a great portrait lens. It's paid for itself faster shooting portraits then planes.  Wink

What happens when when 3 months down the road when the used piece of sh*t (point and shoot) breaks down, or he figures out he can't do half the stuff he wants to with it? He has thrown that cash away that could have gone to a proper learning tool. The cost of digital slrs is rediculously low these days... Start off on the right foot, and forget about the p+s's.

fergulmcc

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:54 am

What happens 3 months from now when a brand new 20D and 100-400L is collecting dust in the closet because the owner decided they weren't into aviation photography

He can always sell it, that type of camera will hold it's value a lot more than a point and shoot. Big grin

Take care

Fergul  sun 

DLKAPA

Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:13 am

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 32):
Knowing your luck you'll be fast asleep in the class, I've nearly done that!

I was barely able to hold my own, dozed off a few times but came back in the end  Smile

flyfisher1976

Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:50 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 35):
What happens 3 months from now when a brand new 20D and 100-400L is collecting dust in the closet because the owner decided they weren't into aviation photography

He can always sell it, that type of camera will hold it's value a lot more than a point and shoot.

checkmark 

Quoting JeffM (Reply 26):
Why handicap someone learning to crawl by giving them a point and shoot?

checkmark 

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
Can someone tell me what is a good camera to buy for beginners.

A r e a l l y good camera for anyone to purchase would be a Rebel XT and 100-400L (My Rig)  Big grin

TACAA320

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:33 pm

Mine is silver, because when I bought it in Panama, the black one was not available at the store. I must admit that I like the black more, but remember, the color of the camera doesn't make you professional or not, so make your choice based on what about you like more.

Enjoy it!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:34 pm

Also consider the D50, D70 and D70s from Nikon.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

INNflight

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 pm

Decent point and shoot for starts.

Who on earth says this is necessary? Not true that you have to learn with a P & S. As Jeff said, why limiting yourself?

to a beginner is not ease of learning, it's initial investment

So it doesn't make sense to buy a consumer DSLR and a tele-lens for 1000 bucks, but it's recommended by you to first invest into a P & S, and then upgrade again to a better camera?

I see no point in that, it's just wasting money on a P&S with no obvious reason. Also a P&S can be different in terms of handling and settings compared to a DSLR, so the learning process is not the same one anyway.
Jet Visuals