cschleic

Las Vegas Photo Opps?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:34 am

Previous archived threads discuss runway construction that means there aren't many opportunities from the parking garage right now. But would the garage still be worth it for ramp shots...or is it better to just head out to sunset park for landings? I'm hoping to get there mid November.

Thanks for any suggestions.

AdamWright

RE: Las Vegas Photo Opps?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:43 am

When I was up there, I didnt see any possiblilty of getting a 'good' ramp shot.

But, exploring is what most of picture taking is about to me. So, be creative and try new things. You can be lik 90% of everyone else and shoot from the viewing park (Which I am guilty of) but going out and finding a new spot can be twice as fun. (I'd stil drop by the viewing park though between 3-5 pm ! to get some of the killer light).  Wink

-Good luck!

United_fan

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 am

I'll be there for Nellis in 3 weeks  Smile I tried Sunset Park (down by Taco Bell) for approach shots when I was there in April. Too bad I can't get Phillipine (they come in around 6PM and you know in Nov,it'll be dark @ 5pm  Sad
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

fightingdingo

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:56 am

Is the viewing park located on sunset road?
What road is Sunset park on?
What runways are usually in use during the winter?

Thanks,
Zach

United_fan

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:08 am

Sunset park is like a mile past the viewing area. Down by the plaza w/Taco Bell in it. On the right . You'll see the Tennis Courts.

DavidYYC

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:52 am

I will also be in LAS over the week-end of 12-13th for the Aviation Nation Airshow. Anyone else ever been to that airshow in the past? Any good opportunities for photos?

United_fan

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:09 am

David,this will be my first time @ Nellis,too . Not sure what to expect.

NIKV69

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:18 am

Yes I have shot in various spots on Sunset. Don't forget that spot right in front of Jacks on LVB. I believe the runway construction has closed 19L, if they are using 19R for departures you can get some great rotation shots from that spot. One of my favorites!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

cschleic

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:20 am

Sounds like going up and down Sunset makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

United_fan

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 am

There is also a spot I found by accident. There is a small turn-off across from Mandalay.I got a nice shot of a Thomas Cook 763 from there between the gate posts. Also,I found a nice spot down by FX.

UALDUDE

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:24 am

For approach shots for 25L, which is most common arrival runway for airline traffic, there is shopping plaza on the southwest corner of Sunset/Eastern. I use this all of the time. The aircraft are at a perfect height, but you do have to shoot between light poles. This seems to be the perfect spot because at Sunset Park I find them to be too high and further down Sunset you start getting the fence in your approach shots. The parking lot on Sunset is great if you have a ladder, the fence is tall. If you are good at shooting between the fence it will work also. I find this very difficult. Good luck! If I am around those days, I will come out and meet you guys.

fightingdingo

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting UALDUDE (Reply 10):
there is shopping plaza on the southwest corner of Sunset/Eastern. I use this all of the time. The aircraft are at a perfect height,

Is this the place you were talking about?

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4816/453453hhgbn7kc.jpg

What do the cops think of this spot? Last time at LAS I was spotting on Patrick Ln. and was told to leave by the FAA.

Zach

NIKV69

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:09 am

Yep, that looks like it's it. I have never been hassled anywhere in LAS when I shoot. That spot is good for arrivals on 25L.

United_fan

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:17 am

Oh yeah,I found this nice spot when the 1's are used late in the day  Smile

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Scott Kerhaert

Especially neat to see the 'Janets' return home.

NIKV69

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting United_fan (Reply 13):
Oh yeah,I found this nice spot when the 1's are used late in the day

Nice shot! Did you shoot that from Terrible's? They don't use the 1s a lot but when they do it is awesome!  biggrin 

United_fan

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:37 am

NIK,Close . It's @ the intersection by the old car carriers. I also read that the Embassy Suites is good for the 19's. Is it ?

NIKV69

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 15):
NIK,Close . It's @ the intersection by the old car carriers.

Oh Ok, I was getting gas one evening and had this WN 737 come right over me! Real close!

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 15):
I also read that the Embassy Suites is good for the 19's. Is it ?

That's on Paradise. Most spot's there are good. I shoot in the UNLV parking lot. If the sun is right they come right past you on short final to 19R. There is also an opening in the fence where you can walk right up and shoot through the openings and get good shots. Though with 19L closed you won't have them right in front of you.

UALDUDE

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:20 am

Yes, that is the spot in the picture. I have never been hassled there ever in 10 years of shooting from there. I was shooting there a couple of weeks ago and some cops were transferring a prisoner from the police car to the paddy wagon in that parking lot and they didn't even hardly look at me. Like I said, the only down side is that you have to shoot between light poles, but they are a good distance apart and it really is pretty easy.

United_fan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 am

I was only talked to by the LVMPD once , but I saw the cop looking at me,so I walked up to his car. He was very cool,telling me that people come from England to watch planes. You see,in LAS,they understand that people watch planes as a hobby. While here in ROC,you're viewed as a weirdo-o terrorist.

Lastly,Sundays are great days to spot. VS,JL,BD and My Travel come in then. I'd love to get a Omni DC-10 and HA 76 shot this time . Just can't drink too much Sat Nite  eyebrow 

dacman

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Hello All,

There will be a group of us (A.Net photographers) at LAS Nov 9th - 13th for LAS shooting and the Nellis AFB Show on Saturday.

We will mainly be at the spots mentioned (Sunset Plaza / Eastern and Sunset) and the (observation lot / on Sunset). If in the observation lot look for a group with one very tall 10ft ladder (I use it in the lot this way I don't violate the 4 foot rule next to the fence / never a problem with Ops or P.D.)

This is our annual get together in Vegas and everyone is invited to join us. I drive a Ford Windstar van with (LGBGUY) as my license plate you can't miss it.

Hope to see some of you in LAS next week.

Mike
dacman
LAX/LGB Local
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

Skymonster

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:34 pm

See you in LAS hopefully then Mike - I might even bring that slide!  Wink

Andy

PS: Not arriving until Friday evening though, leaving again the following Monday evening
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

United_fan

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:55 pm

I'll definitely look for LGBGUY's license plate . Looking forward to some nice weather and the European heavies on Sunday!

NIKV69

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting Dacman (Reply 19):
We will mainly be at the spots mentioned (Sunset Plaza / Eastern and Sunset) and the (observation lot / on Sunset). If in the observation lot look for a group with one very tall 10ft ladder (I use it in the lot this way I don't violate the 4 foot rule next to the fence / never a problem with Ops or P.D.)

Your right, it was so funny I was spotting at the viewing area one day last March and some guy had come to shot the Primaris 757. He kept taking his ladder out of his car and putting back in his car for every plane he shot because he was paranoid. Too funny.

Won't be getting out there till the Dec 30th.  mad 

Enjoy guys. Don't forget to indulge in some night life too!  sly 

f4wso

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:17 pm

Glad to see a good group will be going to the airshow. It will be nice to put faces with names. I hope to do some photography at McCarran as well as Nellis. My wife and I will be there on Friday departing Sunday evening. She tolerated the Moscow show really well and should do likewise here.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

dacman

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:13 am

Andy,

Great, I look forward to seeing you.

Shoot me an e-mail and I will give you my cell number so that you can contact me when you arrive in LAS. We are staying at the Palace Station which is located on W. Sahara Ave.

I'm just back from two weeks in the U.K. so I'm still getting back in the swing of things here in SoCal. Had two beautiful shooting days, one day in Glasgow (a week ago Thursday) and this past Tuesday at Gatwick. Only rained on me three days during the trip.

I look forward to seeing the slide too......hehehehehe.

See you next week.

Mike
dacman
LAX/LGB Local

United_fan

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:31 am

The weather is supposed to be mostly cloudy next Sunday,but hopefully the forecast will change. I'd at least like to have Sunday be nice  Smile

CO777

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:46 am

Mike,see i told you i bring good weather to all.
Jason Whitebird  Big grin

dacman

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:27 am

Jason,

I'm still not convinced, due to the fact that both you and Bill Hough
will be in LAS this week, I feel the "Perfect Storm" brewing ........hehehehehehehehehehe.

See you later this week.

Mike
dacman
LAX/LGB Local

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:07 am

i'm headed to Vegas in 8 weeks...can someone point out the better spots on this airport map for me?

thanks

http://tinypic.com/fene37.jpg

NIKV69

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:02 pm

Once you are there Monty it's easy to find the good spots. Sunset Rd will probably be your best bet since they are working on 19L. If they are using 19R for departures you will see a Terrible's with a Jack in the Box on LV Blvd just south of Mandalay. There is a dirt mound right next to the entrance of Jack's that is great for catching them rotate right in front on you. The top of the parking garage may not be so good with that runway closure but you can always go up there. Great views. If you have a car drive over to UNLV (Make a right on Tropicana off the strip) and park in the arena parking lot. If the sun is right you can catch arrivals if they are using 19. The arrivals on 25L are great at the Sunset viewing area which you can't miss. Just take the strip to Sunset rd and turn left and go down and you will see it on your left. You can go west a little more and get better shots as they come in to 25L. I don't use a map it's basically one big square and easy to navigate.

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:19 pm

thanks for that Nick, looking forward to LAS and the nightlife especially! tried to make it out in dec 2004 but my back injury was in full swing back then so i couldn't drive that far.

NIKV69

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:50 pm

No problem Monty,

Ahh yes, the Vegas nightlife. Quite good. I pull into IFP December 30th. Let me know when you are in town. I plan on many trips up to LAS since it's short drive. I had the best night in Vegas with John Thompson from here. We had an interesting night!  crazy 

Not to mention the spotting was good too!  biggrin 

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:54 pm

i am in town from 28 jan to 1 feb...

iten is as follows

Per-Mel 16 jan
Mel-Lax 18 jan
Lax-Ewr 20 jan
Ewr-Ord-Mia 24 jan
Mia-Ord-Las 28 jan
Las-Lax-Jfk 1 feb
Jfk-Sfo 2 feb
Sfo-Syd 5 feb
Syd-Per 7 feb

DLKAPA

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Myself and nosedive will be in town on the 3rd of January for the day, if anybody could show us around the place a little bit that'd be nice.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

f4wso

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 31):
Ahh yes, the Vegas nightlife. Quite good.

I thought the Vegas Nightlife would be spent in a hotel room editing the day's photography? What else is there to do? Whatever it is, it surely can't surpass the excitement of living in the upper midwest.  Smile
Looking forward to this weekend,
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA

NIKV69

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:18 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 32):
i am in town from 28 jan to 1 feb...

Great time to be in Vegas, wx should be nice! I will drive up one of those days.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 33):
Myself and nosedive will be in town on the 3rd of January for the day, if anybody could show us around the place a little bit that'd be nice.

I should also be able to drive up that day. Like I told Monty it's very easy to find your way around. It's one big square that you basically drive around the airport.

Quoting F4wso (Reply 34):
thought the Vegas Nightlife would be spent in a hotel room editing the day's photography? What else is there to do? Whatever it is, it surely can't surpass the excitement of living in the upper midwest.

Go to the Hard Rock and you will quickly see how nightlife in Vegas differs from the midwest!  crazy 

f4wso

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
Go to the Hard Rock and you will quickly see how nightlife in Vegas differs from the midwest!

I am sure my wife would prefer this option

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:25 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
Great time to be in Vegas, wx should be nice! I will drive up one of those days.

don't make it the 31st whatever you do, i plan on driving to the Grand Canyon that day and returning on the 1st for my redeye back to JFK.

let me know what you got planned.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 37):
don't make it the 31st whatever you do, i plan on driving to the Grand Canyon that day and returning on the 1st for my redeye back to JFK.

let me know what you got planned.

I could do whatever, I always take two to three trips up to LAS where I stay 3 days. Or I can just drive up in the morning and drive back. We will figure it out. Whatever day you can spot we will do that day. I am flexible.

Quoting F4wso (Reply 36):
I am sure my wife would prefer this option

Your wife wouldn't approve of the Hard Rock?  sarcastic 

The women in there are of high morals!  silly 

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 am

29th or the 30th are the best Nick, 28th i arrive late in the arvo from Chicago and i like to allow 2 days in case the weather goes to shit n back! night is for spotting of a different kind!  Wink

Fly2HMO

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:02 am

Me and pretty much the whole ERAU PRC campus will be at nellis for this weekend. I guess it'll be easy to identify a bunch of geeks with tripods and huge zoom lenses Big grin  duck 

I'll be taking my wimpy olympus c-740  shy