A388
Topic Author

How To Correct Curves

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:48 am

I have a question,

I've had this 'problem' several times. I have photos where the livery gets a 'ladder' effect. Examples where I have this problem is the tail logo of NCA (the part where the logo over the rare fuselage) and Martinair's new tail logo. I use photoshop when cropping my photos but haven't been succesful in improving the photo. The 'ladder' just won't go away. Instead of a nice line my photos show the 'ladder' type of line (or stairway effect). How can I correct this?

Regards,

A388

waketurbulence

RE: How To Correct Curves

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Are you talking about 'jaggies'? From what you are describing that's what it sounds like. It can come from oversharpening, and sometimes happens on pics that haven't even been edited. You can try to select the jagged pixels and slowly blur them out, or sharpen the area less. I hope this helps.
-Matt

GPHOTO

RE: How To Correct Curves

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:31 pm

A388,

To remove jaggies on curved liveries (or any curving part) you can use layers if your editing software allows. I use Photoshop Elements 3.0. After adjusting the lighting, contrast, angle, noise and crop of the photo, I shrink it to the desired size, then apply a 'Duplicate layer' on top. Then I sharpen. I then use the eraser tool set at about 30%, with a brush size in the range 5 to 10 pixels and rub over (one pass at a time) any jaggies. As you pass over the jaggie, some of the sharpening is removed and more of the 'soft' image underneath is revealed. This allows you to return jagged areas to their pre-sharpened state without affecting the sharpness of the rest of the photo. It doesn't take long.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?