Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

I'm Simply All About Being Fair...

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:19 pm

If I sound like a baby here, I apologize but I would like things around here to be consistently fair. I have had a few rejections lately for the horizon not being straight and level in my pics. Personally, I don't find it to be that noticeable. There is a newly added picture of a Southwest 737 where the horizon is significantly not level. I wont include it here unless I need to. I'd rather not single out this photo and photographer. But I don't understand how that made it through when it is so obviously tilted. All I ask for is a level playing field here.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Mr Spaceman

RE: I'm Simply All About Being Fair...

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Hello Silver1SWA.

Last week I had a photo of a Piper Navajo rejected. The personal message in my email said that ......

"The aircraft didn't appear to be level".

Well, the Navajo was infact level .... perfectly level. Unless the brand new hangar beside the Piper that I used as a guide (before I cropped it out of the shot) didn't have level walls!

Also, a Piper Navajo normally sits on a ramp with a nose down angle to it's stance. Maybe the screener didn't know that.

I wonder what the screeners use to check for a level horizon if there isn't one in view in the photo?

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Fly747

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Hello,

why not show us your photo. That would be a good start.

Ivan

DLKAPA

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting Mr Spaceman (Reply 1):
Well, the Navajo was infact level .... perfectly level. Unless the brand new hangar beside the Piper that I used as a guide

If you were using a wide-angle lens then the barrel distortion would cause anything on the side of the photo useless for levelling purposes.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

waketurbulence

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:20 pm

If you feel it was wrongfully rejected, appeal it. I have had 3 or 4 shots appealed and accepted on a level rejection. Also, posting the photo would help.
Chris, sometimes when you crop out a post or building edge the photo appears to be unlevel. Maybe next time, level the cropped portion as the eye sees it, or include a note to the screeners saying you cropped out your leveling device.
-Matt

Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Ok, I guess I'll just make this as easy as possible.  

My Photo:
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/SilverOneNewPaint2.jpg

[Edited 2005-10-26 07:46:50]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:42 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Thread starter):
If I sound like a baby here, I apologize but I would like things around here to be consistently fair. I have had a few rejections lately for the horizon not being straight and level in my pics. Personally, I don't find it to be that noticeable. There is a newly added picture of a Southwest 737 where the horizon is significantly not level. I wont include it here unless I need to. I'd rather not single out this photo and photographer. But I don't understand how that made it through when it is so obviously tilted. All I ask for is a level playing field here.

Ryan,

Though I understand your frusration I don't think including a pic already in the DB is wise. I don't think the photog would appreciate it and neither will the screeners. Post the pic here and let's have a look. Maybe editing in PS can help it.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 pm

Thanks Nick. I didn't think it was a good idea in the first place but thought it might help make things easier for those wanting to help. I removed it.

BTW, I did edit my photo and rotated the image and cropped it. It's in the queue right now.

[Edited 2005-10-26 07:49:45]

NIKV69

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):
Thanks Nick. I didn't think it was a good idea in the first place but thought it might help make things easier for those wanting to help. I removed it.

BTW, I did edit my photo and rotated the image and cropped it. It's in the queue right now.

Kewl Ryan, link us! Let us see it!  biggrin 

Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:01 pm

Ah yes, of course. Here's my new edit.
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/Silver1NewPaint2.jpg

Smile

NIKV69

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:12 pm

Nice Ryan..

Best of luck with it!  wave  Hope it gets in.

bmibaby737

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey

Great photo there Ryan! Good luck on getting it accepted  Smile

BmiBaby737

jumbojim747

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Not meaning to open a can of worms here but i would have a look at it again for being a little backlit.
Nice shot by the way good luck with it.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer