edoca

Vertical Centering - What's The Rule?

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:29 am

No big deal here, but I just had this one rejected for incorrect centering.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/N602AU-20051015.jpg

Now of course I can see that there is much more space between the bottom and the nose gear, than between the top and the tail. But visually, I would still think the main focus of the image is centered.

Even more, I don't think it will look better when centered. So is this "ah well, not in line with the rules so forget about it", or is there an argument here in contesting the "not centered" ruling...?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not in for a "but what about other pics in the db" fight. Every picture is unique in that respect, IMHO.

A3204eva

RE: Vertical Centering - What's The Rule?

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:03 am

Vertical is out, as you said yourself. Also you'd be better focusing on the fuse, not the wing. They're not as important (I'm talking about photos Big grin)

Smile
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

Knighty

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:16 am

I like the way the aircraft sits along the width of the frame but I'd definitely have it sitting lower in the frame so that the top of the tail and the nose are roughly the same distance from the edge of the frame.

Knighty
Ian Knight - Proud Canon shooter!

PUnmuth@VIE

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:05 pm

Quoting Knighty (Reply 2):
so that the top of the tail and the nose are roughly the same distance from the edge of the frame.

yes 
-

Psych

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:16 pm

Hello Ward,

In answer to the question in your thread title, I do wonder whether there is actually a clear rule. I personally operate on the assumption that correct centering for the site is as above - i.e. same space above the top of the subject as below. However, you may have seen a long thread recently where different examples were given which 'break' this rule.

It seems there will be many, many examples that anyone could point to which don't conform to this 'rule' on the database. My assumption is that this rule holds true unless the motive somehow overrides this core guideline.

Now that gets us into very subjective territory........I think I'll leave it there  biggrin .

I think I would go along with the screener here who, I presume, thought there was nothing to be gained for the motive by that amount of apron in the bottom half of the photo, below the main subject.

All the best.

edoca

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Cool, thanks everyone. I don't think I'll have an acceptable pic after recentering (unless I deviate from the 3:2 format), but I'll give it a try...

Danny

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 3):
Quoting Knighty (Reply 2):
so that the top of the tail and the nose are roughly the same distance from the edge of the frame.

I completely disagree. The photo will give unbalanced feeling as the whole fuselage will be in the lower half.

Stealthz

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Danny,

I tend to agree, but you forget photographic (or artistic) integrity is not the question here, the only thing in question is what meets A.net criteria.

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!