9VSPO
Topic Author

Why Screeners Are Great!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:50 am

1. They only accept your best images. This actually goes in your favour because it makes you a better photographer!

2. They do this job for virtually nothing and their time is just as precious as our's!

So I just wanted to say a big  thumbsup  to all these guys that do the work and make this site what it is!

ChrisH

RE: Why Screeners Are Great!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:54 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
1. They only accept your best images. This actually goes in your favour because it makes you a better photographer!

They accept images that conform to the guidelines they have to follow. Completely different.

But yes they do a good job and give a lot of their own time obviously.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

davidu

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:58 am

Thanks 9VSPO!

This makes a change from the death threats and swearing we occasionally get  scared 

david  Smile

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 1):
They accept images that conform to the guidelines they have to follow.

No Chris... they accept good quality images....full stop!  Smile

I am sick of coming on here and hearing people moaning. You ever heard the saying "a poor workman always blames his tools"?  Wink

Try being a screener for a couple of weeks and see how long you want to carry on.....

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:39 am

2. They do this job for virtually nothing and their time is just as precious as our's!

So I just wanted to say a big to all these guys that do the work and make this site what it is!

Finally, someone making some sense.

They accept images that conform to the guidelines they have to follow. Completely different

If you care to read the guidelines you will see that this process produces only the top photos. These guidelines are based on photography and not anet's own depiction on what a good photo is. Much as you would want everyone to think.  footinmouth 

You take a good picture, it gets accepted. It doesn't get much easier.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ChrisH

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
If you care to read the guidelines you will see that this process produces only the top photos. These guidelines are based on photography and not anet's own depiction on what a good photo is. Much as you would want everyone to think.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Have a look at some inflight magazines, aviation mags, whatever. You'll see tons of great photos that wouldnt be accepted here. Those photos are good, the photos on a.net are good. But everything that's good is not accepted here.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
You take a good picture, it gets accepted. It doesn't get much easier.

checkmark 

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 5):
You have no idea what you're talking about.

ChrisH do you sell photos? If you do, do you think you would have sold more without the help of this site?

ChrisH

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:49 am

I've had some sales yes. I would have more sales if there were an artistic category  Wink (and a.net would have more visitors?)

sulman

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:50 am

With friends like this, the screeners don't really need critics.
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

davidu

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:53 am

We welcome 1970's or older scans / shots very much.

If you have such, please scan and send in.

Spend a bit of time on them as much towards our guidelines as poss. We know this may be impossible to meet.

We are not as strict on the older shots honest!!

Give it a go  goodvibes 

david

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 8):

Can you just not accept that these guys do a hell of a lot of work for very little in return???

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting Davidu (Reply 10):
We welcome 1970's or older scans / shots very much

Sorry David I was just a twinkle in my dads eye then!  Wink but I do love older shots as well.

Ander

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 11):
Can you just not accept that these guys do a hell of a lot of work for very little in return???

They get to see thousands and thousands of photos we will never see. Wink
Lucky them!!!
Ander
Born to tri.

ChrisH

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:12 am

Hello 9VSPO, please see below  

But yes they do a good job and give a lot of their own time obviously.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 11):

I just wish guidelines were a little less conservative  

edit: the 1st quote is mine. seems like a little bug =)

[Edited 2005-11-26 22:13:55]

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 5):
You have no idea what you're talking about. Have a look at some inflight magazines, aviation mags, whatever. You'll see tons of great photos that wouldnt be accepted here. Those photos are good, the photos on a.net are good. But everything that's good is not accepted here.

Actually you have no idea what you are talking about, I see plenty of pictures in magazines that are not the greatest quality. Give it a rest.

ChrisH

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 15):

:D didn't say all were great. Have a little look after images you fancy, then since you're an expert on all things a.net, maybe you can figure out if they would be allowed here or not? I think you'll find quite a few  Wink

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:20 am

Yes there are many images in magazines that would not be accepted here but they have a major significance, ie; they are newsworthy or the photographer is already asociated with the magazine and that has nothing to do with quality but "it's not what you know but who you know!"

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 16):
D didn't say all were great. Have a little look after images you fancy, then since you're an expert on all things a.net, maybe you can figure out if they would be allowed here or not? I think you'll find quite a few

confused 

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 17):
Yes there are many images in magazines that would not be accepted here but they have a major significance, ie; they are newsworthy or the photographer is already asociated with the magazine and that has nothing to do with quality but "it's not what you know but who you know!"

You are basically right, Publications are not going to publish the greatest quality picture, usually the picture has some sort of newsworthy quality. Doesn't mean it is of the highest quality.

ChrisH

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 18):
You are basically right, Publications are not going to publish the greatest quality picture, usually the picture has some sort of newsworthy quality. Doesn't mean it is of the highest quality.

Unfortunately you seem unable to differentiate between technical quality and motivational quality. Forget megapixels and ISO for a second and look at the image.

I'm all for technical quality and noiseless images, but I'm more about motive. There was a stunning shot, a closeup of the new MAS 777 special livery, that was rejected for motive and subsequently added. It became a very popular picture. Why was it rejected in the first place? It's these types of pics I would like to see a.net open itself to, as it would boost sales and visits, make photogs upload more, and make the d/b more interesting to browse.

All IMO.

Skymonster

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:05 am

They accept images that conform to the guidelines they have to follow. Completely different.

ChrisH has it spot on. I am not denigrating the screeners, but lets lay this one to rest - the screeners accept photographs that conform to a certain set of guidelines that are laid down (or evolve) by Johan and the rest of the screening team. Whilst by some measures this policy may result in TECHNICALLY good photographs being displayed on the site (assuming the screening team have their act together and screen consistantly and accurately), it by no means results in ALL good photographs making it. You just need to open your eyes to the world of aviation photography outside of airliners.net, and which well known photographers DON'T upload here, to realise what's going on.

Quoting Ander (Reply 13):
They get to see thousands and thousands of photos we will never see

Yes, indeed - we won't see, and many others won't. And that, in some cases, is the REALLY sad thing (think about it!).

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 3):
Try being a screener for a couple of weeks and see how long you want to carry on.....

I did... In fact, I tried it for the best part of three years!  Wink And one of the main reasons why I lost motivation to do the job was because I lost belief in airliners.net's policies and standards as being in the best interests of aviation photography generally.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

TZ

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 20):
You just need to open your eyes to the world of aviation photography outside of airliners.net, and which well known photographers DON'T upload here, to realise what's going on.

Horses for courses. No one single solution is best for everybody - just look at the number of breakfast cereals available at the supermarket.

While some of the aviation photography superstars are doing what they enjoy on some different website(s), other photographers like 9VSPO are here enjoying themselves. Whatever floats your boat, but this topic was intended as a positive one. Could we get back on-topic?

TZ

[Edited 2005-11-26 23:34:46]
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

JeffM

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 3):
No Chris... they accept good quality images....full stop!

No, Chris is absolutely right. There is a huge difference.

The screeners do the best they can with the blinders they are given.

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 21):
Could we get back on-topic?

O.K. as soon as we get done talking about cereal...

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 21):
just look at the number of breakfast cereals available at the supermarket.

TZ

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:43 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 22):
O.K. as soon as we get done talking about cereal...

Ah well. Whatever.

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 19):
Unfortunately you seem unable to differentiate between technical quality and motivational quality. Forget megapixels and ISO for a second and look at the image.

I'm all for technical quality and noiseless images, but I'm more about motive. There was a stunning shot, a closeup of the new MAS 777 special livery, that was rejected for motive and subsequently added. It became a very popular picture. Why was it rejected in the first place? It's these types of pics I would like to see a.net open itself to, as it would boost sales and visits, make photogs upload more, and make the d/b more interesting to browse.

I believe a great photo has to be that of technical quality (exposure,grain, noise etc} and motivational quality. I feel this DB is awesome to browse! Due to the fact the screeners keep the bar high.

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 20):
Whilst by some measures this policy may result in TECHNICALLY good photographs being displayed

Andy,

I feel the policy includes motive as well. I understand that Johan's guidelines for what motives are acceptable and which aren't are a bone for contention but it is his site and he has that power.

beechcraft

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:37 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 22):
The screeners do the best they can with the blinders they are given.

You´re so right Jeff...

all those blinders, including:

NOA_angle, -dark,
-distance, -motiv,
-quality and -centered

just a few examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mike -Rotor- Nowak
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Unmuth - VAP

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hannes Meyer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ted Quackenbush

View Large View Medium

Photo © M.Oertle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

EGOV

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 8):
I would have more sales if there were an artistic category (and a.net would have more visitors?)

Chris
I would really like to see some of your Artistic shots on here , why don't you post some of them on here for us to see .

Cheers

Dimitris
Dimitris-AirTeamImages , Its All Greek To Me !!

A340600

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting Davidu (Reply 10):
We welcome 1970's or older scans / shots very much.

Yep, nice to see these, LGW seems to get a lot, makes a change and interesting for spotters like me who weren't around in those times,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

TWAMD-80

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:48 pm

Hey Screeners, nice job with the queue. I happened to check my photostats this afternoon and I was overly pleased to see the Q sitting at 6971 photos.

Tim
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

jumbojim747

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:57 pm

Good work screeners i have also noticed the Q dropping .
Must have been due to my computer crashing and me not being able to upload  Smile just joking .
Anyway im back and look out.
Keep up the great work
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:58 pm

Remember also that a lot of photographers in magazines write their own 2/3 page articles too.

N178UA

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:11 pm

Great work, great thread, we should now have a screener of the year 2005 award goes to .......???  Wink

(i think a few knows the winner!)
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Quoting N178UA (Reply 31):
Great work, great thread, we should now have a screener of the year 2005 award goes to .......???

I will give it to the screener that accepts my photos!  crazy 

Granite

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:20 pm

Hi all

Some nice words and not so nice words for the screeners.

Anyway this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December. Really nothing positive comes out of of most of the threads. Yes, a few interesting ones but not much. Maybe the 6 years I have been contributing have taken their toll.

I'll carry on screening and uploading and accepting Johan's pay cheque but that it.

Regards

Gary

Psych

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:41 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 33):
this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December

Gary - I'm very sorry to read this. As you know, I think your contributions to the Forum are very much valued. I think it will be a great shame if we have even less input from screeners such as yourself here.

I can understand how depressing it must be to feel under constant attack. But I fear for the site if there are less and less opportunities for photographers who upload to the site to debate issues and themes with Crew members. It is very apparent that not many screeners input often to this Forum - with less where will we be able to seek that clarity which is so often sought?  worried .

Take care.

Paul

jumbojim747

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:52 pm

Anyway this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December.

Quoting Psych (Reply 34):
Gary - I'm very sorry to read this

I agree with Paul on this .
Its sad to read your comment Gary as i know from countless times that you offered me your help .
Your Value to this forum and its new comers can not be expressed in words.
I hope you will change your mind and we see you around .
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

TZ

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 34):
It is very apparent that not many screeners input often to this Forum - with less where will we be able to seek that clarity which is so often sought?

The relentless abuse and bickering eventually takes its toll unfortunately. I have semi-retired from this forum and considering full retirement.

TZ

NIKV69

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:55 pm

Anyway this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December. Really nothing positive comes out of of most of the threads. Yes, a few interesting ones but not much. Maybe the 6 years I have been contributing have taken their toll.

Quoting Tamsin (Reply 36):
The relentless abuse and bickering eventually takes its toll unfortunately. I have semi-retired from this forum and considering full retirement.

I know how you feel but hope you reconsider. For every person here that feels the need to post negative content and bitch that their work gets shot down there is more that feel the screening process is more than fair and value you guys for your opinions and advice. It means a lot to me as a greenbean who finds your input very helpful. Hope to see you guys stay.  crossfingers 

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:05 am

this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! You can't! You guys ARE the forum!

jumbojim747

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:04 am

Its sad to hear that Tamsin you also are one of the helpful screeners that is appreciated in this forum .
Its very unfortunate for us all that so many screeners are going down this road .
I sure hope you guys change your mind and stick around.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

andy777

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 38):
this screener will be dropping out of the forums for good at the start of December.

This is a disappointing development, but I probably don't blame you as I am sure that you can all do without the hassle you all get at times. I along with many others appreciate the work the screeners and everyone else involved in the running of this site do. Any input from the screeners in these forums will be greatly missed and I hope that you will all reconsider.

As usual the few have spoilt things for the many.

Andy

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:32 am

Screeners! You should be showing your worth! Instead of saying "oh I want to leave" you should be standing your ground and taking control of this forum!

JeffM

Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 41):
Screeners! You should be showing your worth! Instead of saying "oh I want to leave" you should be standing your ground and taking control of this forum!

That is what moderators do. Screeners look at pictures.

I'm sure you wouldn't want the mods to screen your photos, why have the screeners run the forum?

Kukkudrill

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:16 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 37):

I know how you feel but hope you reconsider. For every person here that feels the need to post negative content and bitch that their work gets shot down there is more that feel the screening process is more than fair and value you guys for your opinions and advice. It means a lot to me as a greenbean who finds your input very helpful. Hope to see you guys stay.

Hear hear. My feelings exactly.
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

Stealthz

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:22 am

It is disapointing that a thread created to pat the screeners on the back has been turned to the point that 2 senior and in most ways 2 of the most helpful on this forum have used it to announce their virtual retirement from forum participation.

I will admit it took me a little while to understand the motivation and requirements of A.net and the resulting criteria that screeners work to. I now for the most part understand that and while like most others I don't handle rejection well, I can feel for the amount of hard work that the screeners put in.

Personally I feel it vital that screeners(and administration) participate in this forum or the gulf between A.net and the photography community will widen further.

As has been said by others it is the few that spoil it for many.

Regards

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

dc10tim

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:56 am

Isn't this just a fantastic shot? Tonight was the first time I've seen it and I am just captivated.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ted Quackenbush

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Dehowie

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:30 am

Like Chris said.
As the screeners spend less and less time here the gulf becomes bigger.
Rejections get less explanation and people who upload become more frustrated at there lack of ability to get shots accepted.
People leave.
The fundamental problem is people are tired of seeing a large number of good photo's bounced and the end result is the venting you see on the boards everywhere.
As i sell a fairly large number of photo's now i no longer direct clients to look here for my photo's as its a pointless excercise using ANET as a launching pad.
Worthwhile mages get rejected and the very same images are bought by aviation organisations/airlines for use in annual reports,safety booklets,brochures and training courses.
The few sceeners who do raise there heads in the forum are quickly the target of much pent up frustration from many photographers who feel they have had excellent photo's rejected for in many cases subjective reasons as opposed to technical faults.
I can see why they dont want to participate but with then no contact at all from the management side of the site what future is there?
Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

Kereru

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 42):
why have the screeners run the forum?

Hey now that would be a novel idea wouldn't it? Why not let the Head Screeners have more input to the running of the photography forum? Any objections from anyone else?

Cheers,
Colin
Good things take Time.

Dehowie

Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Nice idea but isnt that already happening?
With many threads closed down by Tamsin a head screener i would have figured it was already happening.
Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

paulc

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Dehowie,

agree 100% with your comments - if screeners like Gary & Tamsin feel they are no longer able to take an active part in this forum then the forum (and site) will be worse off. Photographers will still 'vent' at some rejections and perceived inconsistancy but will soon tire of not being heard and will go elsewhere. The site has already lost some top quality photographers because of its 'rigid' attitude on certain things.

The biggest inconsistancy (imho) is that the photo guidelines that screeners and photographers try to meet are set by the 'boss' who admits to not being a photographer. Without going through the process of having work screened and rejected how can he fully understand how frustrating the process can be.

Having sceeners take a less active part in this forum will only increase the gap between 'them' and 'us'
English First, British Second, european Never!