MarkJBeckwith
Topic Author

Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This One

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:40 pm

One day, I might be good at this...

IL76

RE: Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This One

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:42 pm

More prop, or no prop. The way it is now, the little lump on the left is more of a distraction than an addition to this photo.

Ed

JeffM

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting MarkJBeckwith (Thread starter):
Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This One

Motive should be figured out before you raise the camera to your eye.

MarkJBeckwith
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:40 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 1):
More prop, or no prop. The way it is now, the little lump on the left is more of a distraction than an addition to this photo.

Ed

Okay, thanks Ed.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 2):

Sorry, forgot about you Jeff, I should have spelled out the question very clearly for you, you don't read sub-text very well. Try this;

Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This One... for ANet acceptance?

Better?

flyfisher1976

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 2):

Give me a break
 Yeah sure

ChrisH

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 2):

The eleventh commandment finally revealed.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

linco22

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 5):
The eleventh commandment finally revealed.

lol brilliant

spencer

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:37 am

Jeff is on form!!!!!!!!! (At least he's good for a laugh!!).
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

Ander

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting Spencer (Reply 7):

He is. But this time also he is right.
Born to tri.

spencer

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:07 am

Hey Ander, I'm not saying he is or he isn't. All I'm saying is whenever the guy posts, you can bet it's gonna be controversial or funny! Personally, I disagree with him on this one. I've been lucky many a time when shooting. Perhaps something's happened as I press the shutter down that came totally unexpected...It doesn't take planning! On the other hand there's been times when I've composed something that I thought would be interesting, then discovered it wasn't that great at all, or something else played a part in it that changed things. I know what Jeff is trying to say albeit it doesn't hold true all the time, far from it.
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

JeffM

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:07 am

Good! You can laugh all you want at me, or with me, it doesn't make one bit of difference. I had a laugh too when I saw that photo.

Quoting MarkJBeckwith (Reply 3):
I should have spelled out the question very clearly for you, you don't read sub-text very well. Try this;

Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This One... for ANet acceptance?

Mark, I knew exactly what you meant when I first read it. Unfortunately for you, if you work towards Anet standards, you are most likely backing up, as many excellent photographs will never see the light of day here BECAUSE of the standards.

Get the motive right in your mind, then take the photo. Dragging shots like that out in the open looking for ways to get an acceptance won't help your photography at all.

Quoting Spencer (Reply 9):
I know what Jeff is trying to say albeit it doesn't hold true all the time, far from it.

Do you aim at the dart board while playing darts? If so, do you aim to just get on the board and accept what you get? Or do you actually try to hit a certain spot?

Just curious.

MarkJBeckwith
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:14 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 10):
Get the motive right in your mind, then take the photo. Dragging shots like that out in the open looking for ways to get an acceptance won't help your photography at all.

Thanks Jeff, though you seem to be confusing my photography hobby with my ANet hobby - not the same thing at all.

I had a laugh too when I saw that photo.

Thanks for that Jeff; derision becomes you, keep it up, you'll continue to win friends and influence people.

jdk

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:28 am

Found this one to give you a guide line to work on

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/925005/L/

Cheers

Matt72033

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:57 am

Jeff...i love your posts!

Good! You can laugh all you want at me, or with me, it doesn't make one bit of difference. I had a laugh too when I saw that photo.

thats great.....you cant teach THAT!! its a gift!!

keep it coming Jeff

spencer

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:15 am

Basically Jeff, everything according to you is and should be considered gospel?!! Get real mate! And what the hell has darts got to do with the price of bacon? If I'm reading you right, then you've never been surprised with results before? Nothing has ever happened that altered the outcome of a shot for you?! Man, that's gotta be boring! So, there's no real need to take a series of shots then either? Because if you've sussed it out beforehand then one shot is all that's required. I've definitely gotta come out with you and your grey card one day Jeff...at least it will be amusing!! Oh and by the way Jeff, we all adhere to the rules of this site mate, so don't try and give it the high and mighty around here please!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ruben Hofs

A well thought out and thoroughly expected occurrence!!

Spencer.

JeffM

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting Spencer (Reply 14):
so don't try and give it the high and mighty around here please!

LOL... and you can?

Don't be stupid all the time, I never said you might not catch something unexpected, I did say plan your shots. Mark's obviously didn't work out to well if he did plan it.

And what the hell has darts got to do with the price of bacon?

I figured that analogy would go screaming over your head....

If I'm reading you right,

Your not, as usual. It seems you have a hard time doing so.

So, there's no real need to take a series of shots then either?

Don't do it often, do you? Why? Hoping to get one right?

Basically Jeff, everything according to you is and should be considered gospel?!!

Don't know where you read that, but it works for me!  Smile

Oh, i'm not your "mate" either.  Wink

flyfisher1976

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:01 am

Get the motive right in your mind, then take the photo.

Pretentious to say the least. Here's a suggestion for you...

Get a rational thought in your mind, then post a reply.

Completely unnecessary
 Sad

JeffM

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 16):
Pretentious to say the least.

LOL... hardly. What do you do? Shoot first, figure out what you shot later? I suppose you might get something worthwhile if you shoot enough pictures. Kind of like a shotgun? Not very accurate, but you will probably hit something...

Here's a suggestion for you...

Sorry, don't need one. I'm not the one asking for help with that picture..  Wink

O.k. you start first.... Obviously you have to start after that remark.  Smile

dc10tim

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:21 am

Quoting IL76 (Reply 1):

I think Eduard summed it up perfectly in the first post, without the need for all this. I get the feeling it's turning into something of a witch-hunt. On more than one occasion I've disagreed with Jeff, on various topics, but his help is welcomed when provided and nobody stands to achieve anything by resorting to this.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

JeffM

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting DC10Tim (Reply 18):
I think Eduard summed it up perfectly in the first post

I do too. Honestly, the photo really lacks anything of interest, and what little is there (prop) is just not taking control of the viewer's attention as it should. My comment in reply 2 was nothing more then honest advice, as it appears that very little thought went into it's composition based on what we are used to seeing accepted. I could have wrote half a page on how I feel their pain, loved the idea, wished them "all the best"...blah, blah, blah, but in the end, the image speaks for itself. Just look at....... Cropping isn't going to help it. Why spend time writing elaborate posts blowing smoke up someone's butt? What good does that do? Wouldn't you rather get to the point, learn something, and move on to better things?

DLKAPA

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting MarkJBeckwith (Reply 11):
Thanks Jeff, though you seem to be confusing my photography hobby with my ANet hobby - not the same thing at all.

Really? So like, you shoot absolutely brilliant photos then upload your absolute crap? Cause that's what it sounds like you're saying...

I've definitely gotta come out with you and your grey card one day Jeff...at least it will be amusing!!

The only amusing thing will be how many shots you lose to exposure problems  Wink

How is your response a constructive one? If everybody got down off their pedestals here you'd see that Jeff's first reply is pretty much just him stating the first and most basic rule of photography. There's no trying to crop a photo differently to get a different motive, sometimes you can fudge it a little bit but on a shot like this there's just no way.

< Advice (since some of you need tags) >Next time, do these 2 things. First, make the wing the main focus of the photo. Second, wait until the runway centerline crosses into the frame. If you're in the right spot inside the aircraft, they will line up very well. < /Advice >

And yes, I do pick my seats for a flight based on what kind of photos I want to take from the aircraft.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

MarkJBeckwith
Topic Author

RE: Any Way To Work The Motive Differently On This

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 20):
Cause that's what it sounds like you're saying...

You don't read so well do you?

First, make the wing the main focus of the photo. Second, wait until the runway centerline crosses into the frame. If you're in the right spot inside the aircraft, they will line up very well.

Thanks for the advice.

Ed answered my question in in reply 1, the rest of this thread is bullshit, including reply 2. I ask a question, which is what I thought this forum was for, and this is what happens? What the f**k else is the forum for? Forgive me for being inexperienced, I'll try harder next time.

Later..

DLKAPA

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting MarkJBeckwith (Reply 21):
You don't read so well do you?

If you really want to go there I was reading at college level before I got into high school.

Quoting MarkJBeckwith (Reply 21):
I ask a question, which is what I thought this forum was for, and this is what happens?

You asked a question, someone else gave an answer. That's generally how questions work. Sometimes the answer isn't what you expect but you just have to deal with that and if you're smart, you'll use every answer you're given to improve.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

flyfisher1976

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:48 pm

If everybody got down off their pedestals here you'd see that Jeff's first reply is pretty much just him stating the first and most basic rule of photography.

Sorry, I didn't know that photography had "rules". I just like to go out and take pictures of airplanes.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 22):
Sometimes the answer isn't what you expect

Exactly, for future reference, you can expect that if Jeff is involved the answer will often be unnessecarily harsh and impolite...

Dragging shots like that out in the open looking for ways to get an acceptance won't help your photography at all.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 15):

Quoting JeffM (Reply 19):
I do too. Honestly, the photo really lacks anything of interest,

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 13):
Jeff...i love your posts!

thats great.....you cant teach THAT!! its a gift!!

keep it coming Jeff

Jeff's commentary is hardly amusing, especially when you are the one he is attacking.

pepef

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:55 pm

I've read Jeff's posts for years and they are mostly accurate and (funny, when read the right way).
If you don't like his replies and challenge him, you'll most likely wish you hadn't.

Reply 2 doesn't differ much from reply 1. Both offer (brutal) sound advice.

When we write on this forum we need to understand people are writing answers to our written words, not to us. They (often) don't know the person who they are writing to, so it's easy to critisize.

There is a great fellowship amongst Anetters in the real world, but (often) the fellowship ends here (on the forums).

-Pepef-

[Edited 2005-12-16 09:01:29]

ChrisH

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:29 pm

There's no trying to crop a photo differently to get a different motive

There's something called "cropping for impact". A slight crop can dramatically change the way you experience an image. We don't know how much MarkJ cropped the shot above, if at all. And saying to someone his photo "is good for a laugh" on a photography forum is bang out of order and should not be tolerated really.

ryangooner

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:57 pm

Is this constructive criticism?, Im not being funny here but i think that the comment is quite out of order...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeff Miller

I am presuming that you missed the dart board on this one Jeff..

We can all play that game

Everytime the camera is raised to the eye there is always a motive, even in the pic posted.

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

JeffM

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 23):
Jeff's commentary is hardly amusing, especially when you are the one he is attacking.

Wow. I'd say you take things here a little too seriously. I've yet to "attack" anyone. Doubt I ever will. Tell them what I think? Always. Why bother with petty stuff like this?

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 25):
And saying to someone his photo "is good for a laugh" on a photography forum is bang out of order and should not be tolerated really.

There are lots of photos in here good for a laugh, yours and mine included. If you get upset over any comment I may make over a silly airplane photo, I feel sorry for you. Really sorry. Take a deep breath, you'll feel better.

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 26):
Is this constructive criticism?, Im not being funny here but i think that the comment is quite out of order...

Young Mr. Ryan, I personally don't care what you think about that comment, or anything else for that matter. That should be no surprise, and hopefully you won't get upset over the comment, but somehow, I doubt it. I don't know you, you don't know me, and most likely you never will.

I am presuming that you missed the dart board on this one Jeff..

I get a good laugh when I look at many of the photos I've taken and had accepted over the years, and rightly so. I just looked at a couple of yours, I won't post them, suffice it to say, you have a few to giggle over as well. It's the way it should be, so don't get your panties in a wad over it. Learn and move on.

Feel free to post and critique any one of my photos here, it obviously helps you cope with something missing in your world.  Wink

Gary2880

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting Pepef (Reply 24):
I've read Jeff's posts for years and they are mostly accurate

True. You can speak the truth and be right until you go blue in the face.

But if your a twat about it, or stuck up, the chances are people wont take any notice even if you were right in the first place.

Little bit of civility never hurt anyone..
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

ChrisH

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 27):
There are lots of photos in here good for a laugh, yours and mine included. If you get upset over any comment I may make over a silly airplane photo, I feel sorry for you. Really sorry. Take a deep breath, you'll feel better.

There's no need to be a complete bell end at every opportunity. Yet you try your best. The threadstarter was asking for a bit of advice, not to have his pic ridiculed, why did you feel the need to do that?

Keep your advice about "deep breaths" and the likes to yourself, patronisation doesn't become you as well as you like to think.

[Edited 2005-12-16 16:53:56]

willo

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:24 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 28):
Little bit of civility never hurt anyone..

Actually, Jeff has been nothing but civil - blunt, yes - but always civil. It is others who have resorted to name calling.

Back on topic, my initial reaction on opening the picture in question was "why?". I really don't see what the picture is trying to achieve, however, that's just my opinion.  Smile

F9Widebody

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting Pepef (Reply 24):
I've read Jeff's posts for years and they are mostly accurate and (funny, when read the right way).
If you don't like his replies and challenge him, you'll most likely wish you hadn't.

Quoting Willo (Reply 30):

Actually, Jeff has been nothing but civil - blunt, yes - but always civil. It is others who have resorted to name calling.

checkmark   yes 

Jeff's a straight shooter. You might not like what you hear, but it's correct. Be a little more thick skinned, people.
YES URLS in signature!!!

sulman

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 31):
Jeff's a straight shooter. You might not like what you hear, but it's correct. Be a little more thick skinned, people.

Well then he won't mind a little of it in return, will he?
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

flyfisher1976

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Sulman (Reply 32):

Actually, he might. I have found that this hypocritical "straight shooter" is great at dishing it out, but has trouble "taking it".

JeffM

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:51 am

I don't. Already offered to have him do so...

Feel free to post and critique any one of my photos here, it obviously helps you cope with something missing in your world.

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 33):
I have found that this hypocritical "straight shooter" is great at dishing it out, but has trouble "taking it".

Really? News to me. Care to show us some examples? Or are you just shooting your mouth off for effect as seems to be popular lately? This should be be fun.  Smile

ChrisH

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:23 am

Actually, he might. I have found that this hypocritical "straight shooter" is great at dishing it out, but has trouble "taking it".

By "it" you mean an interesting/challenging picture?  Wink

DLKAPA

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:18 am

Sorry, I didn't know that photography had "rules". I just like to go out and take pictures of airplanes.

There are very set and specific rules of photography. First, you learn them. Second, you learn to break them. That's when you start taking really good pictures. Personally I'm still on the learning how to break them part.

Exactly, for future reference, you can expect that if Jeff is involved the answer will often be unnessecarily harsh and impolite...

And right.

I've been on that end several times. It made me a better photographer.

You want to talk about bad form? At least the photo you linked shows the correct rule of photography in that you always center your subject if it's a moving object with room for the object to move into. I think this photo illustrates that perfectly. Nice try though  Wink

Who wants to find out?

spencer

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:54 pm

Oh, i'm not your "mate" either.

Oh Jeff, and there was I thinking we had something really good going on!

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 36):
At least the photo you linked shows the correct rule of photography in that you always center your subject if it's a moving object with room for the object to move into. I think this photo illustrates that perfectly.

No, no it does NOT! That image shows nothing of the sort!!! No way do I want to make this personal, I wont drag someone's photographs down that alley suffice it to say that that particular image shows nothing of what you just stated!
Spencer.

ryangooner

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 36):
You want to talk about bad form? At least the photo you linked shows the correct rule of photography in that you always center your subject if it's a moving object with room for the object to move into. I think this photo illustrates that perfectly. Nice try though

As Spencer pointed out - far from it, nice try though

Young Mr. Ryan, I personally don't care what you think about that comment, or anything else for that matter. That should be no surprise

Its quite obvious that you dont care about anything else, the threadstarter wanted some help but all you could do was "laugh" at his attempt.

He dared to try something different, quite clearly there was motive behind this.

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

Gary2880

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:46 pm

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 35):

By "it" you mean an interesting/challenging picture?

oooooh  Wink

I would be interested if Jeff has a pbase or something similar for him to show us his photographs, with no rules attached to them...

Anything for us to ogle at Jeff?
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

linco22

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:52 pm

At this point in the thread i must say, i've forgotten what it was about in the first place......

flyfisher1976

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:09 pm

hypocritical "straight shooter"

Quoting JeffM (Reply 34):
Care to show us some examples?

Example one...

then you have the balls to say...

Quoting JeffM (Reply 34):
just shooting your mouth off for effect as seems to be popular lately?

Apparently you have made a hobby out of this...

DLKAPA

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:05 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 38):

He dared to try something different, quite clearly there was motive behind this.

And the motive was "Hey look, we're crossing the runway... CLICK!"

TZ

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:26 am

The original poster's question was answered very promptly early-on in this thread. Since then it's descended into a rather daft contest of egos. Please try to remain on topic.

TZ
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images