edoca

Backlit, Acceptable Or Not?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:28 am

I have a sequence of shots of this Airbus landing. One got rejected because it was backlit/dark. The other one (cropped, unfortunately) is seconds later, when the plane was in better lighting (but still a bit dark).

Would it be OK as it is now? I also noticed the tail is a bit soft (probably depth of field), would that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/N723UW-TKPK-20051210c.jpg

waketurbulence

RE: Backlit, Acceptable Or Not?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:53 am

I would say probably not. Backlit shots can be acceptable and yours looks close, the only thing I worry about is how bright the sky is. I edited the shot you posted (hope you don't mind) and after about a minute it looked somewhat better, at least to my eyes. I made the sky darker, added some contrast, and then inverted the selection and added some fill flash. It seemed to help some. Here is the final. The lighting looks softer but I still don't know if it would be acceptable.
http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n723uwtkpk20051210c9pj.jpg
-Matt

9VSPO

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:00 am

That horizon doesn't look level either.

edoca

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:06 am

Wow, Matt, that's express service! I certainly don't mind...

Now, the difficulty would be that I started from a raw file. I adjusted the exposure before starting editing. I find this works better than trying to use the shadows/highlights tool in Photoshop. Problem is I don't think you can adjust raw exposure selectively (e.g. only to the plane, not to the background). So I end up with a bright sky from the beginning. But maybe I can redo it using the workflow you describe...

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks!

APFPilot1985

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:35 am

Matt's version has some jaggies on the top of the fuselage/
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

waketurbulence

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:52 am

Funny you say that, I didn't even sharpen it. I think this results from the selection tool and changing only part of the edited picture. Same thing happened on the ocean surface, there is a dark line right at the horizon. I was just showing Ward how I would have edited it. Hopefully he can go back to the RAW and adjust it accordingly.
-Matt

edoca

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:07 am

That oversharpened look is indeed caused by the selection tool.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 2):
That horizon doesn't look level either.

That must be an optical illusion (I guess due to the other lines) because it was completely level...

Thanks