Cadet57
Topic Author

First Spotting Trip, Tips?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:11 am

Hi folks, This weekend, im going out to CEF to spot some Military birds in action. I've never formally "spotted" before. All the shots ive done before have been of static planes.

My question is, how do i grab a moving plane? Do I pan with it and shoot or just click as soon as he gets into the frame? Also tripod? Again, never really done moving so IDK...

Any other tips are greatly appreciated

Justin
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

TWAMD-80

RE: First Spotting Trip, Tips?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
My question is, how do i grab a moving plane? Do I pan with it and shoot or just click as soon as he gets into the frame? Also tripod? Again, never really done moving so IDK...

To grab a moving plane I normally set my camera to Aperture priority, about f/8 (depending on the light). But as a general rule, you want your shutter speed to be equal or higher than your focal length. When shooting a plane, pan with it and then when you get the shot that you want press the shutter release. As far as a tripod, it depends on your camera set-up and your personal preference. I shoot at 400mm frequently with an image stabilized lens and I normally don't use a tripod. If you are shooting with a long lens, you'll probably want to use a tripod. Good luck and have fun!

Tim
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!