JohnnyB747400
Topic Author

Viewing At Schipol

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi Guys!

I'm off to Amsterdam in a few months and was wondering if Schipol has a designated viewing area, and if so how do you get there from arrivals. I had a quick look through the current topics and couldnt see this listed anywhere, but apologies if this has been asked before, i'm quite new here.

Cheers,

John

pilot kaz

RE: Viewing At Schipol

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 pm

If you mean the one at the terminal....

If Memory Serves me right their are signs around the airport directing you to the viewing Deck. Or just look for a Burgerking  Silly its near that's. Now for the Polderbarn, Kargbarn (sorry for spelling), The AMS spotters themselves would be able to help you more direction wise  Smile

Kaz
-

Tommy Mogren

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:22 pm

You can find alot of good info on AMS spotting here:
http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=Amsterdam_Schiphol_Airport_%28AMS/EHAM%29

Including links to local spottersites. Have a look.

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

martin21

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:07 pm

AMS has a big viewing terrace at the top of the terminals. You can see a lot of action there. If you want to get close to the runways I can advise you to rent a car. Schiphol is properly one of the biggest airport for spotters and you have to travel many KM (or Miles) to get from one point to the other. I haven been to Heathrow twice and did a lot of walking (and by bus) there. But I think this is more difficult at Schiphol.

Martin21
At 30.000 feet, the sun always shines !

JohnnyB747400
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:26 am

Thanks for all your imput guys...Looks like I better get a bus timetable and good pair of shoes seeing as how I don't drive lol  Smile

jwenting

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:08 pm

take a folding bike in your carry on luggage instead.
Busses don't serve most spots (certainly not with any regularity) and hiking gets tiring  Wink
I wish I were flying

ptrjong

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 5):

Or you can rent a bicycle at Hoofddorp railway station, one stop from Schiphol. From the station it's about 5 km to the Kaagbaan, sligtly farther to the Polderbaan. Maybe that's a good solution for you.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

petertenthije

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 5):
Busses don't serve most spots (certainly not with any regularity) and hiking gets tiring

Nonsense. The only spots not easily accesible by bus (meaning more then 20 minutes walk from the bus stop) are at the Polderbaan. Even the Zwanenburgbaan can be done if you take a lot of time. But the Kaagbaan can easily be done in under half an hour. 15 Minutes in the bus and another 15 minutes walk.

Just check my site at www.schipholspotter.com for busdetails.
Attamottamotta!

Kukkudrill

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:43 am

I recall reading somewhere that the viewing terrace might close. Any truth in this?
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

petertenthije

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:30 am

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 8):
I recall reading somewhere that the viewing terrace might close. Any truth in this?

No truth whatsoever. However, Schiphol does intend to charge people for acces to the terrace in the future. The turnstiles where installed half ayear ago but so far have not been used.
Attamottamotta!

martin21

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 8):

Don't know, it wouldn't be the first time..

More spotting info on this site, it's in english
http://www.schipholview.nl/index_spotinfo.html
At 30.000 feet, the sun always shines !