RWY-16
Topic Author

AMS - Bike Rental For Spotting?

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:51 pm

Dear fellow enthusiast,

I am thinking of visiting AMS in spring/summer 2006 and would like to use a bike instead of a rental car. Do you know where one could rent a bike at or near the airport? I am planning to stay in the IBIS hotel near Schiphol. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Andi

skidmarks

RE: AMS - Bike Rental For Spotting?

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:00 pm

That sounds like a very good idea! Why hadn't I thought of this?

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ptrjong

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:01 pm

Andi,

Several of the more expensive hotels around Schiphol seem to do bike rental, but it might be expensive and impractical or impossible if you don't stay there.

At the railway station in Hoofddorp, I think you'll have to be a member of the Public Transport Bike scheme. I don't know if you can arrange this on the spot.

There are several bike shops in Badhoevedorp or Hoofddorp. They may not do rental, but I guess it should be possible to buy a secondhand bike and sell it back to them again for a reasonable price, perhaps one of these:

http://www.fietsgigant.nl/show_pic.php?pic=01.jpg&dir=001

Hope that helps,

Peter  Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

IngemarE

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm

I'd go for this one!!
http://www.fietsgigant.nl/001/images/178.jpg

Seriously though,...not a bad idea at all.
Problem is, when you're about to leave Amsterdam and you want to get rid of it,....your position to negotiate is somewhat weakened. Wouldn't you say?  Wink
The "Must sell"-statement, then takes on a whole new meaning!

[Edited 2006-01-30 13:06:10]
In thrust I trust.

ptrjong

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:36 pm

biggrin 

Oh, I was thinking of trying to pre-arrange this: 'What price will you buy it back for in a week, if I don't damage it of course?' Should be possible I think.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

IL76

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Hehe... Then I'll be waiting at terminal on the day you leave. I'll take it off your hands for a 'nice price'. Big grin

sean377

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Can't you take your own bike (assuming you have one).
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

JRadier

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 pm

why not do it like every student in AMS, go to a local bikesalesmen (often called a 'junkie') and buy the bike (wich is cheap), and when you go just leave it for the next one. That is how bikes in Amsterdam work  Wink.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

ptrjong

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:39 am

Jurgen,
That is called fencing, and that bike may be my property.  frown 
Of course, you can obtain or rent a bike easily in the city, but obviously Andi isn't planning to see Amsterdam's paintings, canals, and other attractions.  Yeah sure

IngemarE

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
Hehe... Then I'll be waiting at terminal on the day you leave. I'll take it off your hands for a 'nice price'.

That was sort of the thing I was afraid of!  Big grin

idea 
There should be a "spotters bike-pool" in Amsterdam. A bike (or two) gets locked down at the same place everytime a spotter leaves it. That spotter sends the keys for it to the next one having plans to visit EHAM according to a booking-schedule,...and so on.....
You get my drift boys?

Stoopid idea, I know.  frown 
That bike would've gotten nicked in nooo-time!!  irked 
In thrust I trust.