flyfisher1976

UPS DC8 At PHL...Will This One Make It?

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:00 am

Hey guys,

I just submitted this one:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/s...uidice@comcast.net&date=2006-02-09

I was flying to Tampa yesterday through PHL and had to take a delay on the way in while the "cleared a disabled aircraft from the runway" (that's what the captain told us). When we landed I looked out the window to my left and saw this. An hour later, on the way out i was able to get a shot of it on takeoff under less-than-ideal conditions. Does the rule of "rare shot=easy to get in" apply here? Any opinions welcomed. I did the best i could with it using suggested workflows. I also have pics of the leanu crew and fire trucks on the runway. Unfortunately, I didn't have my long lens with me, so I couldn't get in very tight. If anyone wants to take a crack at the originals, I have them in raw. Thanks, JD

p.s.: Should I request priority screening? How do I do that?

[Edited 2006-02-10 00:01:32]

tom3

RE: UPS DC8 At PHL...Will This One Make It?

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:04 am

Hello

Post only the link with your picture , not the link with the date , because no pictures appears.. !

Cheers

Tom
Tom Mousel - Lap

flyfisher1976

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:10 am

tom3

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:22 am

What was happened to this plane ??

Hm , yes it's a rare shot , but don't know if this one will make it , but you can try it with Priority Screening !

To do this , send a mail to the (Head) Screeners .

Steps : > About > Contact us > Photo Screening or Photo Priority Message

Cheers

Tom
Tom Mousel - Lap

administrator

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:01 am

Well, it's a rare shot and that certainly gives it a chance. But it's dark, far away and grass and a light pole in the foreground. I would guess it won't be accepted but it can go either way. It depends on how rare and special this shot is (I cannot say without any accompanying info).

Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

flyfisher1976

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Thanks for the input:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/n748up_jad.jpg

Rejected for "motive"

This photo was taken just moments after the incident happened. Quality is not great, but it is rare.

"Rare photos - easy to get accepted"

Really?

wagz

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 5):
This photo was taken just moments after the incident happened. Quality is not great, but it is rare.

Moments after it happened? The aircraft landed with the fire burning about 11:58 PM. Your shot was taken sometime after 8:30 AM the next morning, after they had moved it off of Runway 27R and put it on the UPS ramp.

The link is broken now (since it was rejected), but from what I remember viewing it before the overall quality was good, but unfortunately heavily backlit. It was difficult to actually see details in the aircraft and the damage from the fire because of this. Had the lighting been better I think it would have had a better chance. Just bad luck considering its winter and the sun is much lower in the sky now.
I think Big Foot is blurry, Its not the photographers fault. Theres a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside

flyfisher1976

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting Wagz (Reply 6):
Moments after it happened? The aircraft landed with the fire burning about 11:58 PM. Your shot was taken sometime after 8:30 AM the next morning, after they had moved it off of Runway 27R and put it on the UPS ramp.

Not sure of the exact timeline...All I know is that they were still "moving the disable aircraft" while we were holding to land (according to the captain).

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I guess my only point here was that if it was rejected for anything, I was expecting something more along the lines of quality. The motive of this shot was clear, and considering the rarity, the poles or other distractions should have been overlooked IMO. It's already been accepted "elsewhere" and has recieved thousands of views. While not a very good quality shot, it does depict a "rare" event and should have been "easy" to get accepted.