ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Motive Question For Cockpit Shots

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:08 am

Hey
I just got this one rejected for motive, and I was just wondering exactly why, as I have since taken a couple more like it, and I want to be able to fix it for future shots.

Here's the rejected shot
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...0overNewSmyracoastlinelargerep.jpg

Here's a similar one I just uploaded last night. Think it would be an noa_motive
candidate also?
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...42Tpanelatsunsetnearthecapeep1.jpg

Any comments or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

paulinbna

RE: Motive Question For Cockpit Shots

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:48 am

I think the first one get rejected for the dark screens.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

KFLLCFII

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:18 am

Eric,

I'm thinking they would have preferred the motive to be one of two other ways:

1) Show more of the instrument panel versus less outside, or
2) Show more outside versus less of the instrument panel.

...As in, would it be a scenery shot, or a cockpit shot? I don't think the current motive makes that distinction clear enough.

Bryan

**Edit: I think the same applies to the second shot as well.

[Edited 2006-02-15 00:21:39]
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

i530j

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 2):

Agreed.
"I love you, I love the kids..." then the phone went dead.

ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 1):
I think the first one get rejected for the dark screens.

This was my initial reaction, and I hope this is the case.  crossfingers  I think it could definitely be improved if I had gotten the flash to not bounce off the screens. (It seemed to get better and better as the sun went down. I started out in broad dailight, same settings, and screens were COMPLETELY black. Then, they got more and more readible. Very interesting...any thoughts?? Unfortunately, I landed before the sun went down more, although, as you can seen in the second one, the sun is lower, but the screens are more readable - - unfortunately, it doesn't have the G1000's glass screens.) Also, I, as a pilot, enjoy the motive of seeing what's on the inside AND the outside - It's most like real flying (unless you are in actual IFR conditions) , where you see what is outside AND inside almost at the same time. I know of a few examples of this in the DB, and they are some of my absolute favorites, so I was almost trying to immitate this with my shots (only after I figured out how though  Wink It's always soooo interesting to figure out new techniques, etc. for photography. There are so many BEAUTIFUL things that I see every time I fly, but I simply don't know how to capture in by camera.)

Once again, thanks for the replies! I hope they keep coming. Like I said, I hope to take many more shots like these, and I (very much) want to improve them. They'll only be Cessna's for now, but I garuntee you that as soon as I start flying the big ones, I'll take pics from them also!

Thanks,
Eric