RWY-16
Topic Author

Spotting Location At Helsinki

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Dear everyone,

I am considering visiting Finland in the summer and was wondering what the conditions up there for photography are. In particular I am keen to know about locations at Helsinki where one can take pictures of the aircraft landing / taxing.

Is there a particular runway system in use, e.g. landing only on this runway, take-offs only on that runway.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Regards, Andi

Jormy

RE: Spotting Location At Helsinki

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:24 am

HEL can be quite tricky to photograph in the coming summer since they will be introducing the new independent parallel-operations quite soon. This means that aircraft's may land at the same time on parallel runways = not very nice for spotting.

However, outside rush-hours spotting is quite easy. You can contact me via the contact button on my profile so I'll e-mail you more detailed instructions.

Janne

codeshare

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 am

Janne what about the nearest 1-2 months? Is this parrallel idea to be introduced from the summer timetable ?

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Jormy

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:37 am

They already have dependent parallel operations (or something like that) in use which means that aircrafts land on both runways but not simultaneously (so one after another). However this is mostly used during rush hours between ~1400-1600lt and again late in the evening (2100->).

Departures can also be on two runways so photographing every aircraft @ HEL is not anymore so easy...