Help For Photo Request!

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:02 am

Hey I got today this E-Mail from Cielos Airlines , regarding to use a picture from me , has anybody experiences with this Airline and how much money should I ask for ??!

Here is the mail :

Dear Tom,

I'm working at Cielos Airlines, Graphics Department and we would like to use your photo for a brochure of us. I'd like to ask your authorization to do so.
Please let me know as soon as possible.

Here is the picture in question :
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Mousel - Luxembourg Aviation Photography

Tom Mousel - Lap

RE: Help For Photo Request!

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:48 pm

Surprising that they want this picture, as it hardly shows the airline identity...

Maybe they want this angle for a specific reason, which would increase the photo's value as they can't just pick another. I find it hard to imagine such a reason, though. You could try to ask, but on the other hand, they may not have a lot of patience, and pick another.

When I don't feel a photo is special, my rockbottom price is 30-40 euros for commercial use (which means that ultimately they're trying to make money out of it in some way or another). But it's entirely up to you.

In this case I think I'd ask for - hell - a jumpseat flight! This is on the assumption they fley some short sectors within Europe. The chances of getting this are probably very slim, as they don't like to organize it, but I would give it a try.

Peter  wave 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 1):
In this case I think I'd ask for - hell - a jumpseat flight!

That's a quite reasonable request, acceptable for some airlines indeed! I asked for it once, will fly next week.  Wink

Good luck,
Jet Visuals

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:59 am

I always have problems with companies asking for permission to use my photo. One time I asked for a check as I don't give my bank account to a stranger and sent the requested photo and it appeared the check was worthless!!! So now I just give them permission as they will use the photo anyways (with or without approval). If unauthorized use occurs my chances of starting and winning a case over a small amount is just not worth it. How much money will it costs me to start a lawsuit against a company over in Asia or Europe, only for a photo worth 30-40 dollars?