dendrobatid

Suggestion - Common Rejections

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:36 pm

I find the harshest rejection to be the common one, where a photo is rejected only for the subject being over represented on the database. The level seems to be fairly arbitrary with the photographer having no way of knowing whether his image will be rejected as the 101st or 201st on the db.
As we all use the auto fill (don't we?) what I suggest is that a warning can be instigated on the auto-fill so that when a photographer tries to upload another on a common, a warning comes up with wording such as....

There are already a considerable number of photographs of this aircraft on the database. Please reconsider before submission as the risks of rejection are higher than normal. The quality and aesthetics will need to be exceptional or the photograph depicting a substantial change or incident.

I would not suggest an automatic bar, but a level set by Headscreeners as some aircraft (currently A380s perhaps) would warrant far higher levels than others. It would make all screeners aware when that level had been reached and thus assist a consistent approach to common. It might go some small way to reducing rejections and if the photographer proceeds after the warning, they can have little complaint at a subsequent rejection.

Mick Bajcar

LIPH

RE: Suggestion - Common Rejections

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:24 pm

It seems to be fair. Good idea. Maybe post it also in the "site related" forum.

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

dc10tim

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:42 pm

It sounds like a good idea Mick, but the one possible problem I can think is regards motive. What would be the 150th shot of a particular BA A320 landing at LHR would likely get the 'common' rejection immediately, yet if you were sat on the jumpseat of that aircraft shooting through the cockpit window, as you came in to land on 27L, regardless of the number of the reg. already in the database, 'common' isn't likely to be applied as a rejection reason, due to the unusual motive.

Just a thought, but I imagine there is a big variation in the likelihood of getting a common rejection on the basis of motive.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Q330

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting DC10Tim (Reply 2):
Just a thought, but I imagine there is a big variation in the likelihood of getting a common rejection on the basis of motive.

The motive and type of shot definitely does matter, but if this proposed feature is only a warning to give photographers the heads up then there should be no problem with getting unusual motives accepted.

-Q
Long live the A330!

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:00 pm

This warning exists already under another form. When you use the auto-fill function with the registration you get a link to see all other photos of this registration (aircraft) on A.net.
Now if your shot pictures an aircraft you see to already be on A.net x times I think you should be capable of judging yourself if it's worth uploading your shot with the given quality or not (self-screening!  Wink ).

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

dendrobatid

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
This warning exists already under another form. When you use the auto-fill function with the registration you get a link to see all other photos of this registration (aircraft) on A.net.

Thierry,
I totally agree. However, it is the variable limit aspect that makes this difficult.
What I suggested serves as a warning, an indication that there have already been common rejections.
Motive is obviously relevant and the warning would not prevent the upload continuing. It would however cause a re-think by the photographer.

Mick Bajcar

paparadzi

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:53 pm

I wonder if a very common registration, for example a BA 744, at an uncommon airport like KUL, which BA does not operate to at this time, but the picture is against the sky with nothing to differentiate the airport. Will it be considered common as well?
Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.