DLX737200
Topic Author

Spotting At Nottingham East Midlands

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Hey guys. On my trip to the UK next week, if the weather is decent, I may head out to Nottingham East Midlands to get some shots of the great domestic traffic there and I wanted to know how the spotting situation was there and where to go. Thanks!

-Justin

Cosmic

RE: Spotting At Nottingham East Midlands

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:28 am

Hi there,

East Midlands is where I do most of my Photography so, I'll have a go at helping you out.

Firstly, have a look at these threads/links which are useful:

Photography At Nottingham East Midlands Airport (by SignalOne May 14 2005 in Aviation Photography)

www.egnx.co.uk

There may be a few more, so do a search in this forum  

Spotting at East Midlands is sometimes monotone, but can be very interesting aswell. As for what you'll see, a fair amount of bmibaby, easyJet, Ryanair and some Charter Airlines like First Choice Airways, Thomsonfly, MyTravel and Thomas Cook. Then there is Cargo, with DHL and various others and the rare visitors which we sometimes get.

Photography locations I've think are good, (I'm not much of a spotter really!). In my opinion though, if your after a day of just watching what Aircraft the day brings, the Airport trail is your best bet, directions of which are given in those links.

Any questions just ask! (or email) 

Cosmic

[Edited 2006-03-05 19:37:39]

dendrobatid

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:06 am

Justin
Don't count on much traffic. East Mids can be tedious, particularly at this time of year. There are however some real gems, particularly with cargo. AN124 are pretty regular and you might not have seen them before.
Like Cosmic, if you want more specifics about where to go, just ask
Mick Bajcar

dc10tim

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Dendrobatid (Reply 2):
Don't count on much traffic. East Mids can be tedious, particularly at this time of year.

It certainly can, I've spent 3 hours there this afternoon in the biting cold wind and only seen the likes of Easyjet A319s and BMIbaby 737s. It's almost enough to make you tired of living, nevermind photographing aircraft  Smile

To be fair, when it's not so quiet there are some interesting movements. There were plenty of DHL 757s and A300s parked up today and a Lockheed Electra too. Someone correct me if it's altered, but Friday afternoons last summer used to see a Polet Cargo An124 come in about 3 o'clock.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

DLX737200
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:44 am

I want all the Easyjet and BMIbaby aircraft I can get. What other airlines serve this airport regularly?

dc10tim

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:53 am

Well Justin, alongside EZY A319s, you get their 737s, quite a few Ryanair 738s (look out for the Dreamliner, Cable and Wireless and City of Nykoping ones), BMI ERJs and the usual British charter stuff, Thomsonfly 757s, My Travel A320/321s, First Choice A321s etc.

The thing that makes EMA special though (when there's something to see and it's not freezing) is it's obscure stuff. On an evening it gets a lot of cargo traffic, especially DHL 757s and A300s. Also there are two UPS 767s that land within 5 minutes of each other, a Star Air 762F, Gemini DC10, Lufthansa MD11, TNT A300s and 146s and all sorts of weird and wonderfull props. That will all be after dark at this time of year though, as most cargo movements start about 8pm.

There are still some cargo movements in daylight, but not as frequent. You might see some of the DHL 757s moving about and I've seen AN124s come in and out during daylight and on some days there is a Kalitta 747 that comes in. There are also a fair amount of bizjet movements on most days, including a brand new Gulfstream, owned by JCB.

Although I was disappointed on Sunday because of how quiet it was, it's one of those airports that's always worth a visit, as you never know what will turn up!

I did see this today, which is very unusual, in that it is in not hybrid MyTravel/Airtours colours, but hybrid MyTravel/Skyservice colours:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TFSPhoto

Have fun.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

gocaps16

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 am

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 4):
I want all the Easyjet and BMIbaby aircraft I can get.

Justin, that's like saying you want all the Southwest 737s at Tampa.  Smile

Have a great time in the UK.

Kevin