flyfisher1976

Photographers Choice...Technical Fault?

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:06 am

With standards being so high these days, how does a photo with such an obvious technical fault make it past the screeners? I wont post the photo here, but it is currently "photographers choice" on the front page. It's a wonderful photo, and really made me go "wow". But But it's pretty obvious to me that the nose of the aircraft is ever so slightly cut off. No disrespect to the photographer, because it's a wonderful shot. Just wondering how this "slipped by".

D L X

RE: Photographers Choice...Technical Fault?

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:26 am

Probably because it's such an awesome shot. That would be my guess. I can only imagine how hard that shot must have been to place in the frame.

andyhunt
Crew

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:15 pm

The photo was passed to Johan for a final decision and he decided that it was good enough to be added...... Big grin

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

ThierryD
Crew

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:09 pm

I didn't want to throw this one in at once but since we're at it:
what about Steve Morris' shot currently in the Photographers Choice Top15?
I checked the image on 2 different screens and to me this picture, although it's a fantastic motive, looks as if too much of some drawing filter was used; this comes out especially clear on the fuselage reflections.
To me this filter ruined an otherwise perfectly nice shot.
My apologies to Steve should this post result in any trouble to him but since most people (including me) are interested in consistency regarding the screening and acceptance process I felt I had to point that one out as normally an image edited in such a way would get an immediate rejection!

Confused

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

flyfisher1976

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Quoting AndyHunt (Reply 2):
The photo was passed to Johan for a final decision and he decided that it was good enough to be added......

"Good Enough"...but many photos have been rejected in the recent past for being just .5 degrees unlevel, or having just one small area slightly unsharp. So what you are saying is that it was ok that the nose on this plane was cut off because it was such a great shot. I mean, I could understand if it was slightly grainy for a high ISO, or maybe slightly unlevel for the angle, but part of the plane is cut off! This is the first thing that hit me when I opened the large version of the photo.

PUnmuth@VIE

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:34 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 4):
but part of the plane is cut off!

So what. Its in by the boss decision. Time to move on.
-

IL76

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:41 pm

Not really the photographers' choice, rather the "view all top rated-photos" section has something strange going on. Seems that some peoples names pop up there surprisingly often...  Yeah sure

E

aviopic

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:49 pm

I noticed this photo as well and I guess it is fare to say that 90% of the posters here would have done a better job in both photography and post processing but the fact is....... nobody did !
It's a rare picture and although it does not meet the quality standards most of us are looking for I am happy to see it in.

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

Jan Mogren

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:11 pm

I must say I'm very impressed that the fighter flying so fast that it has no high alfa angle at all, still was captured by the sensor on a dull day with such a high shutter speed that there is no blur on the background and it doesn't look like it was at iso 3600.
New sensors are coming obviously.

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

INNflight

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Jan Mogren (Reply 8):
on a dull day with such a high shutter speed that there is no blur on the background

My very first thought exactly!

F.
Jet Visuals

malandan

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 5):
So what. Its in by the boss decision. Time to move on.

Peter,

This is a quite unessasary comment from someone with your experience and is such a blindingly obvious statement.
I would descibe Johan as a democratic autocrat. He listens and reacts accordingly and who is to say he would make the same decision next time.
Much of the rules and guidance for such as ourselves has been formulated as a direct result of reasoned discussions in this forum and long may it continue.
Tis your goodself who perhaps ought to move on if I may say.

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

aviopic

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 6):
Not really the photographers' choice, rather the "view all top rated-photos" section

Exactly my point against at the time it was introduced.
Which is why I proposed that only established photographers should have a voice for the "PHOTOGRAPHERS CHOICE" section.
Now it is just another "most popular" counter.

Quoting Jan Mogren (Reply 8):
I must say I'm very impressed that the fighter flying so fast that it has no high alfa angle at all, still was captured by the sensor on a dull day with such a high shutter speed that there is no blur on the background and it doesn't look like it was at iso 3600.

I don't think so Jan.
It depends largely on the distance between photographer and subject.
If it was taken with a short lens we might have seen some motion blur at 1/500s but not if it was taken with 300mm or something.

The lack of alfa angle does in this case not mean it is flying fast.
Guess it is doing something like 200kts at 10 feet or so which causes the air between ground and aircraft to compress more aft then front so the alfa angle disappears, in fact you have to be careful not to nose dive into the ground.

Willem

administrator

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:48 pm

That's a very strange comment Flyfisher1976. The "Photographers choice" is, as you know, voted on by the photographers themselves and I have no say in what photo is selected.

As for it being added to the database, it was cristal clear that I would accept it - It's an amazing photo. There's many reasons for adding a sub-quality photo to the database, rarity, age, artistic qualities etc. This shot is both rare and artistic.

Now, should the photo turn out to be digitally altered in any way, we will have it removed for that reason.

"Good Enough"...but many photos have been rejected in the recent past for being just .5 degrees unlevel,

Yes - for photos of aircraft we have hundreds of already in the database! The types of questions you ask really shows that you have not read through the upload page and FAQ.

Regards,
Johan

[Edited 2006-04-02 12:49:31]
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

aviopic

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting Administrator (Reply 12):
There's many reasons for adding a sub-quality photo to the database, rarity, age, artistic qualities etc. This shot is both rare and artistic.

checkmark 

Yes - for photos of aircraft we have hundreds of already in the database! The types of questions you ask really shows that you have not read through the upload page and FAQ.

checkmark 
Well spoken Johan.
Please apply it more often for rare stuff  Wink

Willem

flyfisher1976

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:19 pm

That's a very strange comment Flyfisher1976. The "Photographers choice" is, as you know, voted on by the photographers themselves and I have no say in what photo is selected.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this...If you go to the home page, right under where it says "Photographers Choice" you will see the thumbnail of this photo. Not sure what exactly is strange about my comment regarding it being "Photographers Choice". Am I missing something here?

As for it being added to the database, it was cristal clear that I would accept it - It's an amazing photo. There's many reasons for adding a sub-quality photo to the database, rarity, age, artistic qualities etc. This shot is both rare and artistic.

Amazing how? I mean it's a rare circumstance, but is it really that amazing. After all, it's a side-on shot of an aircraft. I'm sure I'll have a hundred people tell me why this shot was so hard to get, but I really don't think that it's that amazing from a photographic point of view. And as for artistic...I'm not sure how this shot is artistic in any way shape or form.

"Good Enough"...but many photos have been rejected in the recent past for being just .5 degrees unlevel,

I'm sorry Johan, but this photo is sub-par for the standards of this site. My opinions on this shot have nothing to do with my comprehension of of the photo-upload faq page. It is simply an observation of a flaw that immediately draws the viewers eye and really detracts from the photo IMO. It doesn't deserve to be showcased here IMO.

aviopic

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 14):
After all, it's a side-on shot of an aircraft.

Yes Flyfisher but there is a difference in photographing a stationary or slowly moving (big)object and something that goes 200kts.
Have you ever tried it yourself ?

I'm sorry Johan, but this photo is sub-par for the standards of this site.

Everybody agrees but there are different standards for "common" and "uncommon" and although I am not impressed by this photo it is "uncommon".

timdegroot

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:39 pm

We are discussing this image with the photographer.

Tim
Alderman Exit

Stealthz

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:51 pm

but I really don't think that it's that amazing from a photographic point of view.

This site is not about amazing photography, it is about technically competent photographs of aeroplanes, with some artistic shots being accepted more as an exception than as a rule. Sometimes as seen here exceptionally rare or unusual shots that may not meet normal standards are(and should be) accepted.

Tim, looking forward to the results of those discussions

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

flyfisher1976

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm sure I'll have a hundred people tell me why this shot was so hard to get

Quoting Aviopic (Reply 15):
Yes Flyfisher but there is a difference in photographing a stationary or slowly moving (big)object and something that goes 200kts.

checkmark  There's one...

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 16):

Cool, I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 17):
This site is not about amazing photography

I never said it was. You have either misunderstood what I said or taken my statement out of context. I was merely countering Johan's opinion that this shot was "amazing".

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 17):
artistic shots being accepted more as an exception than as a rule.

Can someone please explain how this shot is "artistic" in any way, shape or form? I just don't see it. Furthermore many great shots have been posted here that have been rejected for this very reason (artistic, i.e. motive).

Stealthz

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 18):
You have either misunderstood what I said or taken my statement out of context. I was merely countering Johan's opinion that this shot was "amazing".

I was describing the site in general, Oh and you can have an "amazing photo" that is certainly NOT "amazing from a photographic point of view" If you get the not so subtle distinction.

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 18):
Can someone please explain how this shot is "artistic" in any way, shape or form?

Now it is your turn to misunderstand me.. I never said this photo was artistic, I did say (or at least implied) it was amongst those "exceptionally rare or unusual shots that may not meet normal standards are(and should be) accepted"

Personally I agree with Johan that this photo may be rare, I do not feel it is artistic.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

flyfisher1976

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 19):
Personally I agree with Johan that this photo may be rare, I do not feel it is artistic.

checkmark 

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 19):
Now it is your turn to misunderstand me..

So does that make us "even"? Big grin

EZEIZA

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:39 am

Why is everyone criticizing an accepted photo so much? If its below a.net standards or not is really irrelevant at this point since it got accepted, so why dig in so much? I feel bad for the photographer. He did a great job and yet people are almost saying that the picture is crap!
just my opinion, nothing personal  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

timz

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Aviopic (Reply 11):
It depends largely on the distance between photographer and subject.
If it was taken with a short lens we might have seen some motion blur at 1/500s but not if it was taken with 300mm or something.

Think about that some more.

timz

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 am

I'm sorry Johan, but this photo is sub-par for the standards of this site.

No need to apologize-- we all make mistakes.

Wouldn't you guess that if it were put to a vote, 90+% would agree with Johan's choice? He'd be crazy to refuse this one, far as I'm concerned.

trvyyz

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:06 am

I had noticed the nose tip cut off but I didn't have to think why it was accepted. It is simple common sense.
Great shot and great screening.

I believe it is time anet should ban threads challenging accepted photos as it is very much insulting to the photographer involved. If there is a real issue, it should be pointed out to the screeners/Head screener.

The whole blaming and pointing fingers thing is making the anet photographers look very cheap and immature.

aviopic

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 22):
Think about that some more.

Oeps..... silly mistake.
A/C travels same distance in a given time no matter where you stand Big grin

Quoting Timz (Reply 23):
Wouldn't you guess that if it were put to a vote, 90+% would agree with Johan's choice?

As indicated I was/am in favor of this photo although not as low as the photographer said in his remark, something I was more accurate about.

On the other hand being photographed at an airshow it was only a matter of time for another(much better) version would appear.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Weimeng

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 24):
I believe it is time anet should ban threads challenging accepted photos as it is very much insulting to the photographer involved.

I have no problem with a little critics, it's a consequence of going public.
From the technical side the concerns were right and well motivated as is Johan's decision to put it in.

Willem

Stealthz

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 24):
I believe it is time anet should ban threads challenging accepted photos as it is very much insulting to the photographer involved. If there is a real issue, it should be pointed out to the screeners/Head screener.

The whole blaming and pointing fingers thing is making the anet photographers look very cheap and immature.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism or healthy discussion of a photo or photographer, as long as it is done in meaningful and non insulting way.
What does cheapen A.net and the photographers is the attitude held by some that any photo that makes it to the DB and any photographer is somehow beyond reproach and should be placed on some kind of pedastal!

flyfisher1976

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 26):
What does cheapen A.net and the photographers is the attitude held by some that any photo that makes it to the DB and any photographer is somehow beyond reproach and should be placed on some kind of pedastal!

checkmark 

After I thought about what Johan said in his reply above, I realized that I misunderstood the point he was trying to make. He was saying that we voted this picture into "Photographers Choice", so how can we complain that it's there.

I know why I opened the large version of this photo...it was because my fiancee who was sitting next to me leaned over, looked at the thumbnail version and said: "is the front of that plane cut off?". I opened the large version to confirm what we both thought we had seen. Now, my fiancee is a smart girl, but a photographer she's not. IMO this is really what draws the eye when you first look at this shot. Your eye may be drawn to first look at it because of it's proximity to the ground, but in the back of you mind if you're not thinking "gee why is the nose cut off?" then something's wrong with your eyes IMO. It's not like part of the plane was creatively cropped in a way that adds something to the shot. With the standards of this site being so much higher in recent times, it seems that a shot with such an obvious flaw shouldn't be added.

The shot gets a lot of points in the "wow" category. However, in the technical category it gets a big thumbs down IMO. So, I would like to know however, how this photo got voted (by photographers) into photographers choice with such an obvious flaw. Maybe the photographers choice section itself is flawed.

QANTAS077

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:18 pm

why? the hits it's had speak volumes about the shot, ok it's not perfect but stuff me it's the only shot i've seen in here for a while that sent my jaw to the floor, even showed it to some mates who have no interest in aviation and they nearly creamed themselves!

leave it be.

flyfisher1976

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 pm

And what was the result of this "discussion"? Just curious.

by123a

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 3)

"My apologies to Steve should this post result in any trouble"

Now I know why my last accepted submission has gone missing!

Seriously though, The photo referred to was also left for Johan to screen and he considered it OK for A.net. I know it's not out of the top drawer when it comes to quality, then not many of my shots are, but there's more to photography than quality alone.

Incidentally, I don't know what a drawing filter is!

[Edited 2006-04-11 16:16:16]

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting BY123A (Reply 30):
Now I know why my last accepted submission has gone missing!

Seriously though, The photo referred to was also left for Johan to screen and he considered it OK for A.net. I know it's not out of the top drawer when it comes to quality, then not many of my shots are, but there's more to photography than quality alone.

I'm not sure I understand what my thread here has to do with your last submission but should you be referring to the Virgin B747 shot it indeed came to my attention that it was a bad_double upload and I dropped a note to a headsceener about it.  expressionless 
As for the mentionned 777 shot it's without doubt a splendid shot but as I said I noticed some weird appearance on the airplane itself; I called it drawing filter since that's what it looks like to me; as an illustration for what I mean:
one normal shot:
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/lxpcvELLX040406.jpg
and one with a drawing filter applied (largely overdone but it quite well illustrates what I mean):
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/lxpcvELLX040406bb.jpg

now I'm not sure Steve how you edited your shot but I suppose that some step in the editing process led to this appearance and normally a shot edited that way would be rejected by the screeners. So my intention was not to have your shot removed but since acceptance standards are very high on the site and therefore the screeners are quite picky but not always very communicative when it comes to rejections it's not always easy to see through the whole process and to know what is accepted now and what isn't. That's why I wanted to know why a shot like yours with such an obvious "infringement to the rules" was accepted.
In addition I believe that your shot would look better without that editing step that gave it this strange appearance.
So although it looks as if I was after your shots in particular that's not the case but your shots draw ones attention and you know how it is: the more people view your shots the more like them but also the more people find something to say about them; so I guess this time I was the "bad guy". embarrassed 
So nothing personal here and I hope to see many more of your wonderful shots here on A.net.

Cheers,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

by123a

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:24 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 31):
I'm not sure I understand what my thread here has to do with your last submission but should you be referring to the Virgin B747 shot it indeed came to my attention that it was a bad_double upload and I dropped a note to a headsceener about it.

Regarding the 747 shot, I had an accepted e-mail but the shot never appeared in my photos, nor my rejection box by mistake. I have since been trying to ascertain what happened to it, with no joy. If by bad_double you mean the shot that I've had on line for months, which was taken a few seconds later, you are wrong. The shot is about the vortex generated and not the aircraft and they are totally different. During moments such as this, a split second is enough to get a different shot. My top two photos on this site the are proof of this.......why not get one of those removed, you seen to have taken it upon yourself to police the site?

However, I'm sorry that you felt obliged to spoil my enjoyment of A.net and that the head screener you e-mailed would have appeared not to have checked out your accusation, or even given me a chance to place an appeal......Whatever is this site coming to?

xpfg

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting BY123A (Reply 32):
had an accepted e-mail but the shot never appeared in my photos, nor my rejection box by mistake. I have since been trying to ascertain what happened to it, with no joy

The system now queues accepted photos, sometimes up to an hour or more that I have seen. If you go to My Photos, does it say something like "you have 1 photo that has been accepted waiting in the acceptance queue?" This would be in bold lettering at the bottom of the My Upload Queue Photos.

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting BY123A (Reply 32):
If by bad_double you mean the shot that I've had on line for months, which was taken a few seconds later, you are wrong

Ok, well in this case Tim and I are wrong and honestly I'm not too concerned about being wrong in such good company  Wink
This stringent rule about baddouble exists for several months already here on A.net and though you may blame me for dropping a note to a screener about it you may not blame me for the rule to exist.
To illustrate your case in some exaggerated way: you could have taken a dozen shots of the B747 on the approach and I'm sure all those shots would have been great and had shown different vortex shapes however it would still have been the same plane on the same approach in the same light producing some vortices. --> a clear baddouble according A.net rules.

I'm sorry should I really have spoiled your enjoyment of A.net, however if this really is the case I think you're a little oversensitive.
Hundreds of photographers get their shots rejected day by day due to the stringent rules of the site but that's not a reason to blame others for it (although I did so myself at some occasion  embarrassed  ).
The site exists with the given rules that are accessible to anyone and though they are not always transparent you still have the choice to either live with them and keep uploading or not agreeing to them and stop uploading. The choice is all yours!

Just see it as a game you play; when you play poker you neither can't blame the other players for applying the rules and taking you out of the game should you be cheating. And this has nothing to do with policing anything, it's just a matter of creating a fair environment for anyone to live in.

So I'm looking forward to seeing you at the gambling table again in the near future!

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

LIPH

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 3):
although it's a fantastic motive, looks as if too much of some drawing filter was used

Thierry, what filter are you talking about ?

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 35):

see Reply 31
"Go ahead...make my day"

LIPH

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 31):
the more people view your shots the more like them

Thierry I agree....Maybe (me included) have been rejected some shots for really less...and maybe if one of our rejected shots would be in the db it could have been "a success" in terms if views.
The politic of A.net has really become very strict. Nothing against it. But I'd be more happy if much more shots like the one of Xu would be accepted. It's silly to loose a great shots like those for 0,5mm cut nose, or even less.

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

willo

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Theiry

I personally think Steve has every right to be annoyed with your approach. If you had an issue with Steve's (drawing filter) picture why didn't you ask him or the screening team outside of the forum. As it is you have jumped to your own conclusions about how the picture was edited, disregarded a valid explanation and in the process pi**ed of one of the more creative photographers here.

We do all play by the same rules and the occasional "rogue" picture does get through. My view is "good luck" to the photographer who managed beat the system, not "that's unfair, I've been cheated". Some people seem far more concerned with highlighting other photographers perceived "infringements" rather than getting their own house in order - to the detriment of the forum and a.net.

Life's unfair, rules get broken - just live with that fact and you'll enjoy your time here far more.

Andrew

[Edited 2006-04-12 16:43:26]

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:24 am

Andrew,

when you address someone, please be sure to get his name right to start with. Then though I'm not a fan of explaining an issue to someone who just jumps on a discussion which he's apparently not followed completely and thus draws the wrong conclusions, I'll make an exception this time.  Yeah sure
First of all we are talking 2 different cases here:
1. a picture from Steve which was edited in a way that gave it a strange look; though leaving this outside the forum might have been the better choice (mea culpa  ashamed  ) I thought that the thread would be a good occasion to handle the issue which I believed would be done in a matter of 3-5 posts (again: mea culpa); as mentionned in my first post however I did not do it light-heartedly. I did not jump to any conclusion, I just expressed in words what I saw with my eyes.
The reason I did not contact Steve in the first place is that my issue did not in the first place have anything to do with Steve but rather with the acceptance of a picture edited in a certain way. And that's an issue that the A.net screeners are about the only ones to be able to give a conclusive answer to.
So this all had nothing to do with pi**ing someone off, as you so eloquently  no  put it, or trying to be cleverer as anybody else but just a matter of expressing a personal opinion. And according to my understanding that's what forums are there for.
so for the 2. case:
that's a shot of a B747 I noticed in the Top24h shots and which triggered a kind of déja-vu; so I checked under the same reg and found that there was a second pic about 100% the same already in the database. Normally I don't care too much about that but, call it curiosity about what's gonna happen if I drop a note about it to a screener or call it something else, I did it that time and only then noticed that the author of that shot was the same one then of the "drawing-filter picture", namely Steve.
So I can understand that Steve is not gonna become my best friend on such a basis but hey "nobody's perfect"; had Steve read the A.net rules more thouroughly and had I treated the subject a little different,...
but what's done is done and nothing serious has happened; Steve's B777 shot is still there and enjoying many enthusiastic views and if he really believes that his B747 shot belongs in the db he can drop a mail about it to Johan and if he believes the same it will be in in no time and I'd be the last one to argue about that.

And as a more general matter Andrew: if you already blame someone for jumping to unfounded conclusions then don't do so yourself by doing the same by coming to conclusions about myself which are unfounded.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

willo

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:06 am

Thierry,

Apologies for the incorrect spelling of your name in my previous post.

Funnily enough, I have followed this thread from day one, so I'm aware of what's been said. I do not believe I have jumped to any conclusions.

I see Steve has now posted in site related. I sincerely hope that he will not give up submitting to this site.

flyfisher1976

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 23):
No need to apologize-- we all make mistakes.

Wouldn't you guess that if it were put to a vote, 90+% would agree with Johan's choice? He'd be crazy to refuse this one, far as I'm concerned.

No, I wouldn't guess. My point remains the same, but let me define it a little more clearly:

From a photographic standpoint, what really makes this photo so special?
Is it because the photographer captured a fast-moving object on film?
Is that really that big of an accomplishment?
Really, the biggest "accomplishment" portrayed here is that of the phenomenal piloting skills. I'm not sorry for saying this. What makes this photo special is the subject matter. IMO a hundred newbie DSLR photographers (like myself) could have been standing along the flight line and gotten this shot. I bet at least *half* of them could have gotten a good capture without any part of the plane cut off. So why is everyone crowing about how great this shot is, and how hard it was to get. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. This was an airshow, not a freak event. I'm not saying that this is not a good shot, just not worthy of being showcased here. With the acceptance standards so high on this site, how can we give so many accolades to a photo with such an obvious technical flaw?

P.S. My thread has been hijacked!   

Edited for typo in **

[Edited 2006-04-12 21:33:53]

[Edited 2006-04-12 21:34:32]

trvyyz

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 41):
From a photographic standpoint, what really makes this photo so special?

Check the number of hits, who cares what standpoint.

IMO a hundred newbie DSLR photographers (like myself) could have been standing along the flight line and gotten this shot. I bet at least *half* of them could have gotten a good capture without any part of the plane cut off. So why is everyone crowing about how great this shot is, and how hard it was to get.

There are only two shots of that event on anet DB.

So why is everyone crowing about how great this shot is, and how hard it was to get.

Because you and I were not there. As simple as that.
For great shot you need to be at the right place at the right time.
Give the guy some credit and I think he got much lesser photos on A.net than you.

vasanthd

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 42):
Check the number of hits, who cares what standpoint.

Hits does not imply a viewers favorite. People would definitely want to see how weird the photo is after looking at the thumbnail.

This is just a general comment and does not necessarily target the photo of this post.

--Vas
One Lucky shot deserves another!

flyfisher1976

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 42):
Check the number of hits,

Quoting VasanthD (Reply 43):
Hits does not imply a viewers favorite. People would definitely want to see how weird the photo is after looking at the thumbnail.

My thoughts exactly...

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 27):
I know why I opened the large version of this photo...it was because my fiancee who was sitting next to me leaned over, looked at the thumbnail version and said: "is the front of that plane cut off?". I opened the large version to confirm what we both thought we had seen.

flyfisher1976

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:53 am

Some additional thoughts on a previous post...

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Thread starter):
I wont post the photo here, but it is currently "photographers choice" on the front page.

Initially, I wasn't challenging the mechanics of "photographers choice", rather using it as a reference for the specific location of the photo in question. Obviously, Johan, you misinterpreted my comment.

////////

Some clarification on a previous comment...

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Thread starter):
the nose of the aircraft is ever so slightly cut off.

When I first viewed the photo my initial reaction was theat the photo was cropped just a little too close, resulting in the very tip of the nose being cut off (the result of a bad edit). It wasn't until I saw other examples of this aircraft and saw the probe, that I realized exactly how much had been cut off (the result of a bad shot).

trvyyz

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting VasanthD (Reply 43):

very true in absolute terms. But the picture in question was also a photographer's choice.
There was something special in the shot that made myself and almost 200000 others look into the picture. If I'm not mistaken, If you click on a thumbnail, you don't get a hit.

I wouldn't say it is the best shot on Anet or anywhere close, but cetainly that shot deserves a place here or atleast what some sensible peolple thought. And that's why it is on Anet in the first place.