Thom@s
Topic Author

Is This The April Fools Photo Of The Year?

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:35 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Xu Zheng

Seriously?  Wow!

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

derekf

RE: Is This The April Fools Photo Of The Year?

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am

There is a thread on Pprune currently with the resident photographic "experts" claiming this is a fake. I don't think it is. If it is it is a very good one.
Not sure it is very smart flying though. I believe Russian ejection seats are good!

Derek
Whatever.......

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:58 am

Seems like an interesting coincidence that the flyby is in the same height as the plane would be with the landing gear down. Hehe.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

iRISH251

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:09 am

If the gear were down wouldn't the aircraft be on the very edge of the runway rather than the centreline? You can also faintly see, I think, the afterburner flame of the left engine, behind the tailcone, which would suggest that the aircraft is under high power.

JeffM

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Thom@s (Thread starter):
Is This The April Fools Photo Of The Year?

I believe it is as well.

For one the IFR probe is out. Why would it be out on a fly by? It wouldn't. Why would it be out on the ground? Because if you extend it, it sets all the fueling valves to the proper position for a "hot refuel", as would be the case during in flight refueling. A very common practice to open it on your way to the fuel pit.

Also, the AOA is wrong for that aircraft, it should have slightly more. Look at the stabilator...with flaps up, and at a speed that would allow them to be up, if the stabilator was in that position, the plane would dive into the ground. It's the wrong angle.

Lastly, there is absolutely no blur to the image. Under that lighting, and at the speed it "should be" moving, I would think it close to impossible to NOT have any motion blur.

Just a few quick observations.

photopilot

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:43 am

My biggest concern is with the apron lines visible through the canopy. One line seems to just disappear and not pass through the canopy (the thick one from top right) and another line seems go in a curve top left to botom right inthe canopy. What does this connect to on the apron/runway areas behind the aircraft?

Indeed it is a strange photo in some ways.

javibi

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:53 am

I'd be surprised if someone is idiot enough to produce such an elaborate fake and then chop off the nose... must be real IMO.

j

A346Dude

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 am

I don't think it is fake. If you look at the top right of the photo, in front of the red fire trucks, you can see a few firemen looking towards the plane - lends a lot of credibility to the shot.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

JeffM

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:46 am

Well, I did a brief search of that airshow, and it does indeed look like the stunt shown was done.. I'll retract my comments on the fake photo. Apologies to the photographer.

A link to the article..

http://app.newsgd.com/NewsGD/UI/NewsGDSkin/Gallery/275.aspx?camid=275

and

These photos must have been taken on different passes, as the probe is out on one, and in on the other.

9VSPO

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:50 am

It's a superb shot and kudos to the photographer. I love anything historical like this.  drool 

paulinbna

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 am

In a case like this does Johan (or any one esle) email the photographer to ask if it is fake or not.

Just curious.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

Matt72033

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 10):
In a case like this does Johan (or any one esle) email the photographer to ask if it is fake or not.

would you own up if it was you?

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:20 pm

Well, those pictures explain it. But it still looks almost too good to be true.  Smile

Thom@s

C133

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 pm

If the gear was raised before the start of climb on takeoff it would be tough enough, but to descend to a meter or two altitude at high speed would take nerves of titanium. It looks real to me though, and hats off to the crew as well as the photographer. Now, when does the court martial begin?
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

JeffM

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 pm

I don't imagine it was a low transition take off, rather a low pass. With the aid of a spotter on the ground, as is common for all airshow participants, the aircraft's altitude was probably relayed via radio to the pilot as you surely would not want to be looking anywhere except straight ahead. Even a glance to the radalt display on the HUD could be distracting at that point.

iRISH251

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 10):

Just curious.

No doubt it is part of the screeners' job to be on the lookout for dubious shots but I wonder why so many people's first reaction is that it must be a fake. There are plenty of pictures around of pilots performing very low flypasts. While one might regard them as dangerous, they are not an impossibility, even with large aircraft.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robinson

Stealthz

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 8):
Well, I did a brief search of that airshow, and it does indeed look like the stunt shown was done.. I'll retract my comments on the fake photo. Apologies to the photographer.

Good to see someone actually take the time to check the facts rather than just speculate..and be big enough to apologise, don't see a lot of that around here!!(having said that other forums are worse than this one!!)

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

eadster

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 16):

Good to see someone actually take the time to check the facts rather than just speculate..and be big enough to apologise, don't see a lot of that around here!!(having said that other forums are worse than this one!!)

Especially JeffM - Well done mate. Not as tough as I thought you were!!!

Grbld

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:41 am

It's not so hard to believe. If you know anything about formation flying, you'll know that they can fly formation with distances just like this between planes at higher speeds than this flyby. Which is much harder, because the other planes are not static and moving in three dimensions. The ground is fixed stuck on a single "plane" so to speak.

And where formation flying is done by a lot of people, these airshow pilots are the cream of the crop. They know the aircraft inside and out and also know how to push it to the limit!

aeroweanie

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:40 pm

Also in the airliners.net database:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Weimeng

Stratofortress

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:24 am

I started a thread on this photo last week and havent been able to get conclusive evidence from anybody regarding authenticity of it.

For the record, I belive it is real, however the lack of heat plumes behind the engine and almost no blur makes me wonder if I am right. Also, flying that low away from the center line poses a risk of getting FOD sucked into engines.

So, heat plumes, blur, and position of the aircraft make me questions this.

To the photographer, if this truly is real - WOW!
Forever New Frontiers

elcableguy77

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting Stratofortress (Reply 20):
I started a thread on this photo last week and havent been able to get conclusive evidence from anybody regarding authenticity of it.

I would think the photo in the post above your last one should prove conclusive enough.  Wink
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."

EGGD

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Stratofortress (Reply 20):
however the lack of heat plumes behind the engine and almost no blur makes me wonder if I am right.

So you think it is fake?

If you thought it was real you wouldn't need the evidence of any 'heat plumes' to prove you are right.

Stratofortress

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting Elcableguy77 (Reply 21):
I would think the photo in the post above your last one should prove conclusive enough.

That one is no doubt real. Look at the heat plumes, background blur, and is reasonably high off the ground. It is the one from the other angle that is making me curious because it's so low to the ground, no heat from the engines, and no background blur. If something can explain that, I am all ears - or eyes in this case.

Quoting EGGD (Reply 22):

So you think it is fake?

If you thought it was real you wouldn't need the evidence of any 'heat plumes' to prove you are right.

I may believe something, but that doesnt mean that it's right What I am trying to establish is that my belief is right.... Didnt think about it that way did ya?

[Edited 2006-04-11 00:59:05]
Forever New Frontiers

elcableguy77

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:14 am

In the information that comes with the above photo, you'll see he mentions the first one as coming from a fellow photographer at about the same time. I think that because it's taken from slightly above the aircraft, it looks closer to the ground than it is.
You are indeed right in your belief that the marvelous photo is genuine.  Smile
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."