DLKAPA
Topic Author

Any Experiences With Astro Photography?

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:34 am

Last night afforded a decent opportunity to catch an interesting event, that is, the crescent moon was just above the Pleiades as they traversed the night sky. Using one photo, ISO 1600 f/8.0 1/400th of a second to accurately expose the moon, then one photo ISO 1600 f/5.6 1/50th to expose the stars, then superemposed the correctly exposed moon over the completely overblown moon in the pic with the stars visable rendered this image:

Both shots taken at 400mm with the 20D and Sigma 80-400 EX OS APO.

I'm going to try again tonight to see if I can get anything better, hopefully the moon is close enough to the open cluster still, anybody else have any experience? If the moon moved in the right way, then tonight it could be a little farther back and hopefully right inside Taurus, so I might be able to get a shot with the moon and the Crab Nebula visable together, that'd be kinda tight.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

A346Dude

RE: Any Experiences With Astro Photography?

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:44 am

Nice shot, I see you captured exactly seven of the sisters!

I didn't realize it until I got into astronomy, but the moon moves quite a large distance, with reference to the background stars, from night to night (about an average-sized constellation a day); so tonight it may not be well-placed for what you are thinking of.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 1):

I didn't realize it until I got into astronomy, but the moon moves quite a large distance, with reference to the background stars, from night to night (about an average-sized constellation a day); so tonight it may not be well-placed for what you are thinking of.

Yeah it's probably not going to be quite as close to the ecliptic as it was last night, we can always hope though eh?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Kereru

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:46 am

Haven't done any yet myself but another A.net contributor Warren Williams has some nice ones.
http://wazza.nfscity.com/astro.htm

Cheers,
Colin
Good things take Time.

GBOAB

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am

Eric

I took this photo of The Plaiedes & Comet Machholz in Jan last year
Taken with a Canon 1D MkII with the 100-400L lens @300mm piggybacked on a motordriven telescope for 56 secs,f5.6
Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 800 File size: 1069kb

Ian
Concorde's gone but not forgotten

airkas1
Crew

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting Kereru (Reply 3):
another A.net contributor Warren Williams has some nice ones.

Wow. The above sentence is an understatement imo!  Smile
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener