ANITIX87
Topic Author

Digital Photography Questions...me Again!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:21 am

Hey guys.

As some of you might already know because of all my ranting and raving, I've been wanting a DSLR for a LONG time. My mom bought me a Konica Minolta Z6 for Christmas and while it's an amazing P&S, it's not the same as my roommate's 350D (which he's let me touch ONCE).

So I've been looking (more hopefully than anything else) and found the following...
Olympus E-500 body and Zuiko 14-45mm lens.....$624.95
1 GB card......................................................$59.50
Sigma 55-200 DC 4/3 mount.............................$160.00

Total cost = $844.45 + shipping&handling

So here's my question...Is this worth it? The E-500 has a 2x crop factor so it'd be like having a 28-90mm and a 110-400mm lens. Are those 20 missing millimeters going to hurt me? If so, I can get a different kit that ALSO includes a Zuiko 40-150mm lens (80-300). This kit would cost about 80 dollars more. My only issue with that is there there are a LOT of overlapping millimeters and it seems like a waste of money. I still have to take into account the price of a nice bag, a tripod, and other accessories I may need.

I've done a LOT of research (checked a lot of review sites and different vendors for the best prices). But, in my opinion, it's always better to get first-hand reviews and advice. So, if anyone has had experience with Olympus or Zuiko equipment, is it good? Will the E-500 give me equivalient quality to the 350D or D50? I would love to go with Canon or Nikon since they seem to be the most common and most versatile cameras. But the prices are so high (around 900 for a basic kit and no extra lenses or memory cards).

Would any of you go with the Olympus?

TIS

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

clickhappy

RE: Digital Photography Questions...me Again!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 am

Here is what DP Review has to say:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

Image quality is on the whole very good, resolution essentially as good as the EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT), although perhaps not as per-pixel crisp, and an Olympus-like contrasty tone / vivid color look to images. My only disappointments are with the way the cameras image pipeline deals with highlights which can look 'hard clipped', the over-processed looking sharpening and noise at ISO 1600.

I prefer not to have any 'gaps' in my lens line-up, but if you are budget constraint you need to deal with it until a time comes when you can fill in the gap.

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:24 am

Clickhappy, I completely forgot about DP Review, haha. I like what they sya about the quality, but is the "Olympus-like contrasty tone" a bad thing? Or can it be fixed on Photoshop?

I know highlights can be fixed, but are the reasons he lists (like the noise at high ISO) reasons not to buy the camera? As a screener you've probably seen millions of pictures. Will the E-500 get my A.Net quality pics? (If I can get airplane pics on here with that, than basically any other picture I take will be pretty darned good, I assume).

TIS

P.S. Anyone else know anything about the Evolt?
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

deaphen

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:29 am

DUDE!!!!!! I AM SORRY BUT I HAVE TO SHOUT! I JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A 350D FOR 622$ FROM BUTTERFLY PHOTO WHICH INCUDES THE STANDARD 18-55MM LENS. ADD YOUR SIGMA LENS AND YOU HAVE A CAMERA FOR BELOW 900 DOLLARS!!

GO FOR IT!
CHECK OUT CNET.COM AND SEARCH FOR THE REBEL XT.
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 am

Javibi thanks for the links, those look pretty good!

Deaphen, sounds like a great deal. I'll look into it more.

Thanks guys for the advice!

TIS