phxplanes

Q. About The Actual Screening Process?

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:34 am

It seems like the screeners have been getting railed lately but I think you guys are doing a great job.
This question is mainly to screeners or other people who might have some insight into how our photos are screened. How many photos a day do you usually screen? How long does it take to screen a photo? Are there some photos you know right away should be rejected or accepted? Do you go over every inch of the photo to make sure it is good. Do you ever get to screen your own photos?

Any more insight, stories or other info you want to share would be great.

timdegroot

RE: Q. About The Actual Screening Process?

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting Phxplanes (Thread starter):
How many photos a day do you usually screen?

That varies. Sometimes I do 500, some days none. Many screeners average out each year at around 100 a day.

How long does it take to screen a photo?

A minimum of around 30 seconds I think, but can range up to several minutes even.

Are there some photos you know right away should be rejected or accepted?

Yes many.

Do you go over every inch of the photo to make sure it is good

Yes

Do you ever get to screen your own photos?

No

Tim
Alderman Exit

aero145

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:47 am

It seems like the screeners have been getting railed lately but I think you guys are doing a great job.

I agree with you 100%.  checkmark 

The screeners are doing a great job, that is for sure! It really takes much time from a screener to screen one photo (please correct me if I am wrong).

-David

NIKV69

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 2):
I agree with you 100%.

The screeners are doing a great job

uh oh, two people with the same attitude as me!  biggrin  Be advised you may get called a kiss ass by some people here, don't let it faze you. Just keep shooting and uploading. The screeners have the most thankless job but they do a their job fairly to all, it's all we can ask.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

cosec59

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 1):
Sometimes I do 500

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 1):
A minimum of around 30 seconds I think

wideeyed 
I reckon that's over 4hrs at a go
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

9VSPO

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 4):

And the rest!

cosec59

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 5):
Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 4):

And the rest!

I meant as a minimum  boggled 
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

aero145

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 2):
I agree with you 100%.

The screeners are doing a great job

uh oh, two people with the same attitude as me! biggrin Be advised you may get called a kiss ass by some people here, don't let it faze you. Just keep shooting and uploading. The screeners have the most thankless job but they do a their job fairly to all, it's all we can ask.

Hello NIKV69!

I've heard of people talking about these "ass-kissers". Thank you for the advise, I will not let people who talk badly about me let me down.  Smile

Regards,
David

phxplanes

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am

Thanks Tim, its to bad you dont get to screen your own photos. Your acceptance ratio might suddenly become 100%.

philhyde

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 am

Be advised you may get called a kiss ass by some people here

I would never call a poster a kiss ass, at least not in public. However, posts to the tune of "oh my gawd you guys, like the screeners are doing such a great job" do sound a little, well, like kissing ass. I submit that a much better approach, and one that I might actually employ to inform someone of their kiss-assity, would be to drop a private note to them.

My $.02... Thanks for the information, Tim.

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

D L X

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:10 am

Be advised you may get called a kiss ass by some people here

There's a big difference between telling screeners that their work is appreciated and talking down any and all people that disagree. The people that rail on those that express an alternate opinion seem to be the ones that are called kiss-asses. Let those that feel that they have a legitimate complaint complain. Even if they're probably wrong.

With that said, OMG!! The screeners sooooo rock. They rock like Cleveland.

glennstewart

Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:07 pm

It seems like the screeners have been getting railed lately but I think you guys are doing a great job..

Thanks for the nice words.

How many photos a day do you usually screen?

This varies - because as one would expect, we all have our day to day life. I like to screen at least 50 photos per day, but achieving 200 per day would be optimal. On a day off, I've been keen to do more but it's enjoyable (and I can give a lot of time to each shot uploaded) when screening in smaller batches.

How long does it take to screen a photo??

This varies as well.
I've been screening for over three years now, so many of the more typical rejection types are very easy to spot. If they're easy for me to spot in a couple of seconds, the photographer should have picked them up on their self screening.
It's just as easy to spot a high quality shot where there are not only no obvious flaws, but everything seems right (which by the way also includes any information entered into the form).

It's the 50/50 shots that are the hardest to screen. I can spend anything from 20 seconds to minutes looking at a shot and if I think that the shot isn't necessarily HQ material, but isn't reject material... I provide my comments and opinions as to be read by screeners to review the shot after me.

I think the longest I've spent on a shot has been a USAF shot by a new photographer. It's a pet peeve of mine to ensure that the USAF regsitrations are correct. Most photographers seem to get USAF registrations wrong and if it's a regular uploader who should know better, then really it's a rejection on info. But I'm happy to spend time chasing up a registration for a new photographer, and personally emailing them to ensure they get it right in the future. For one particularly hard registration, this took me about 20 minutes to look the information up and send as much information to the photographer as possible.

We screen because we love photography. Dedicating time to ensure we look after our contributors is important as well. But it's hard to dedicate as much time to all 12,000 of you as we would like.

It's for this reason when I read negative comments pointed towards screeners, that I really feel quite betrayed. We have to reject to ensure high standards, and sometimes people complain on rejects that are quite clear cut.

Are there some photos you know right away should be rejected or accepted?

Certainly!
The first screening queue is riddled with many a well below standards shot. There are some photos I've screened which have been rejected for over 20 reasons.
Would you believe some people even upload mobile phone camera shots?
I've even seen a shot taken of an aircraft which appeared on someone's TV set at home.

Do you go over every inch of the photo to make sure it is good.

After screening for a while, most things jump out. This even includes the uncanny ability to see CCD dust spots without having to contrast a shot. Angles are noted without rulers. Cloned out potions are noted without having to stare.

I certainly don't pull out the fine tooth comb though. Being harsh on a shot isn't what we're about. By three screeners looking at a shot is often enough to weed out the good from the bad.

Do you ever get to screen your own photos?

NEVER! Not possible!
The screening system is so well designed and audited as well, that any self screening, or screening for fellow screeners simply jumps out.
The system is far more fair and the screening attitudes appear to be more focused towards giving photographers a fair go rather than ourselves.

Any more insight, stories or other info you want to share would be great.

I have heard many a photographer believe that they were being targeted:
"The screeners are so keen to reject my shots and not others"
As a screener, I can state that I never pay attention to whose shots I screen. It's irrelevant! But it becomes obvious given that many shots from one photographer are grouped together, that 5 shots from photographer A might have the same flaw, and the following 5 shots from photographer B have no flaws. This to me screams that if you're getting a lot of rejections, you're doing the same wrong thing over and over.

I have often gone through the queue and had to reject a whole bunch of shots from one photographer for a particular flaw. Generally on the last shot of the bunch, I'll send a personal message stating something similar to:
"Please be careful when sharpening, not to over sharpen. All of you shots have been rejected for jagged. Please re-edit and reupload".

---

I can only say that the improvements made to the screening rules and the screening process are such that to me, I find it far easier and screening seems more consistent than it did last year and the year before that.

The screening team seems to always be fair and keen to discuss improvments to the process and the site. I hope that this is the perception of the photographers who upload.

Screening is a hard task to perform, and any rejection should be taken as guidance not as a personal attack.

But I leave you with this thought:

We're human and because of that we can only try our best to maintain consitency with our own screening and that of the team. We don't always get it right but we try our best.

To put yourself in our position, if shown 500 photos and asked to critique (based on a set of guidelines) on Monday, then shown the same 500 shots on Wednesday - would you have the same 500 opinions? Furthermore, would you have the same 500 opinions as every other screener?

Glenn
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

D L X

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting Glennstewart (Reply 11):
It's for this reason when I read negative comments pointed towards screeners, that I really feel quite betrayed.

That's really unfortunate, Glenn. I would hope you wouldn't feel betrayed by someone questioning the screeners, but I suppose it's understandable. I think a lot of the complaints come from not being able to perceive what it would be like to be in your shoes. (The big complaint thread today seems indicative of that, and for what it's worth, I am not he.) Few I think understand the scale on which you guys operate, and I think the knee-jerk complaints fail not only you for causing this feeling of betrayal, but the other photographers, whose legitimate (although thankfully rare) complaints will be downplayed.

In any event, my understanding of the screening process and the job you guys do has helped me get shots uploaded here, and helped me get better feedback when rejected. So, seriously, Thanks. And don't feel betrayed.  Smile

NIKV69

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 7):
I've heard of people talking about these "ass-kissers". Thank you for the advise, I will not let people who talk badly about me let me down

Good for you!  biggrin 

Quoting Philhyde (Reply 9):
I would never call a poster a kiss ass, at least not in public. However, posts to the tune of "oh my gawd you guys, like the screeners are doing such a great job" do sound a little, well, like kissing ass. I submit that a much better approach, and one that I might actually employ to inform someone of their kiss-assity, would be to drop a private note to them.

That is great, you basically said you would never call a poster a kiss ass and then you did call the thread starter a kiss ass. This forum is for people to express themselves, if they chose to do it here rather than through email that is their right and I see nothing wrong with it.

D L X

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):
That is great, you basically said you would never call a poster a kiss ass and then you did call the thread starter a kiss ass. This forum is for people to express themselves, if they chose to do it here rather than through email that is their right and I see nothing wrong with it.

I'm not so sure that you're the one who should be policing hypocrisy. Aren't you often telling people to butt out, claiming they do not have a right to express themselves when you didn't address them specifically?

In any event, I think we should stick to the topic at hand.

glennstewart

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
That's really unfortunate, Glenn. I would hope you wouldn't feel betrayed by someone questioning the screeners, but I suppose it's understandable.

I actually like answering questions from photographers and I don't mind people questioning screeners. I am speaking for myself, but from behind the scenes I have seen this site grow and mature and part of the reason for the progression forwards has been due to suggestions and discussions on this forum.

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
In any event, my understanding of the screening process and the job you guys do has helped me get shots uploaded here, and helped me get better feedback when rejected. So, seriously, Thanks. And don't feel betrayed.

I certainly appreciate the comments, and this is especially so from a long standing member of this website.

Granite

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi all

Haven't had time to answer anything on this thread yet but agree with Glenn, I like answering questions about screening processes as long as the question is fully thought out and composed well.

Regards

Gary

NIKV69

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 14):
I'm not so sure that you're the one who should be policing hypocrisy. Aren't you often telling people to butt out, claiming they do not have a right to express themselves when you didn't address them specifically?

Why is that hypocritcal? I have asked for advice from non-screeners and it was for the most part off base, this is why I seek adivce from the screeners, their eye is much more accurate. It is my right and there is no hypocracy involved.

jumbojim747

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Call me a Kiss Ass or anything you like but i have to say this.
Reply 11 from glen is one of the best and well written Posts i have ever seen here on Anet.
Cheers Glenn you are truly an asset to Anet.

Quoting Granite (Reply 16):
I like answering questions about screening processes as long as the question is fully thought out and composed well.

I can vouch for Gary here one of the most helpful and friendly screeners you can ever get in contact with.  Smile
Thx all
On a wing and a prayer

codeshare

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:44 pm

@Screeners
Just a small question here:
do you ever get the feeling that the photo you are currently looking at is better then the previous one that got a 'yes' from you, and that the previous one should have been rejected?

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

javibi

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 18):

checkmark 

j

AIRBUSRIDER

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:54 am

Would it be possible to post a shot or two of what the actual screening process looks like to a screener? I mean the actual screening page that the screener is using when looking at the photo? I was always curious about what that might look like.
No Officer, I am not a Terrorist !

javibi

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting AIRBUSRIDER (Reply 21):
Would it be possible to post a shot or two of what the actual screening process looks like to a screener?

There is an old thread showing this: Question About Screeners (by Bruce Jul 8 2002 in Aviation Photography)

Regards

j

NIKV69

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Javibi (Reply 22):
There is an old thread showing this:

Thanks for posting that thread, it's very informative!  biggrin 

glennstewart

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 18):
Call me a Kiss Ass or anything you like but i have to say this.
Reply 11 from glen is one of the best and well written Posts i have ever seen here on Anet.

Mate... on the side, the beer and steak are coming your way shortly  biting 
But seriously, thanks... I'm finally getting back into the swing of things in terms of screening, replying to forum and uploading. Had a lot on my plate of late, and I'm glad to spend time sharing what I know and helping whenever I can.

glennstewart

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting Javibi (Reply 20):
j

Thanks Javier! Glad to have already shared a steak and beer with you  Smile
Now, I must say Madrid is still somewhere on my calendar.

javibi

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Glennstewart (Reply 24):
Had a lot on my plate of late

I hope whatever happened was for good  Smile

Quoting Glennstewart (Reply 25):
Now, I must say Madrid is still somewhere on my calendar.

You are more than welcome here in Madrid, I hope this goes beyond the project stage soon.

Cheers

j

mygind66

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:18 am

J and Glenn couple of the year Big grin You can marry each other in Spain already!!

Talking seriously... you do a hard job. All my respect.

Enrique

ANITIX87

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting Glennstewart (Reply 11):
This varies - because as one would expect, we all have our day to day life.

WHAT!?!?!?!!??!?!? I don't believe you! You have the nerve NOT to dedicate every minute of your life to bringing the queue down? How DARE you?!

Haha. Just kidding. As many others have said here, you guys are all doing a GREAT job (even if ya'll have rejected 98% of everything I've ever uploaded, but I guess that's what happens when I don't have photoshop and I'm using a 3MP point-and-shoot). I can't wait until I get a real camera. You guys will be even more valuable to me then, I'm sure. Keep up the good work, and despite what some people have said, I like where this site is going standard and quality-wise, even if it is harder for people not named Sam Chui or Frank Shaefer to get photos accepted! Again, just kidding.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

D L X

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 17):
Why is that hypocritcal?

Because when it suits you, you say this board is about letting people express themselves and how you "have a right", and when it doesn't suit you, you tell people they have no right to express themselves where you don't want them to. It's pretty clear.

glennstewart

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 28):
even if ya'll have rejected 98% of everything I've ever uploaded

LOL I only do this to keep you on your toes :P

deaphen

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:05 pm

one question.. how do u become a screener?
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

Granite

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:59 am

Hi Nitin

Your 'Headhunted' by the screening team!

Regards

Gary

dc10tim

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:00 am

With so many uploaders, how do you remember what everyone's work looks like?

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Granite

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:08 am

Tim

This is why it is a long process in selecting new screeenrs.

We screen every day. Names are put forward. We review the stuff. Keep watching then decide from there. If the team decide we contact the photographer.

Regards

Gary

deaphen

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Granite (Reply 32):
Hi Nitin

Your 'Headhunted' by the screening team!

Ah! cool
I hope i can impress them! Not with my current record though.. got lots of rejections.. but i am waitin for the ultimate shot.. actually.. the moment my first picture gets accepted! It will be success for me. Thats all i want! Ofcourse i will try again and again.. but once i pass the first test.. i will be satisfied!
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

ANITIX87

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Glennstewart (Reply 30):

LOL I only do this to keep you on your toes :P

I thought so, haha. I'll get back at you guys when all my shots become history-making in their quality and appearance. You'll have no choice but to accept them ALL. And then I'll take over A.Net! Look out Frank Shaefer!

*Wakes up from dream*

But seriously, guys, thanks again for the great work you do. Can I make one suggestion? I know it takes a lot of time to screen individual shots, but some rejections (like the motive one) are very ambiguous. A couple of my rejections have had personal messages, which I find incredibly useful. I think that a lot of photogs here would agree with me that the addition of personal messages to more shots would be very beneficial. Especially if it's someone like me, who tends to make the same mistakes over and over, without knowing that those mistakes are.

TIS

P.S. You don't have to take what I suggest seriously...because I don't want to make all of you spend even more of your valuable time. Perhaps this is a suggestion for the Site-related forum?
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

9VSPO

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:25 am

Antonis Panayotatos,

I like you, you are so funny LOL!  Big grin

KLGAviation

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:33 am

Guys,

I think that the most important this a screener can possibly do is put a comment if there is something significant the person can be doing that isn't obvious by the rejection reason.

This is key:

*Even though I get angry for all of my badmotiv rejections, I know that they're being rejected for a reason and I completely respect that. It's just that I never know what that reason is, which results in frusteration.

Just a friendly suggestion, and thank you screeners, because you are working harder than ever.

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

Granite

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 am

Chris

Yes we do that.

Infact I have just passed some comments on rejected images a few moments ago. While we would like to do this for every rejection it is just not possible.

Regards

Gary

ANITIX87

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 37):
Antonis Panayotatos,

I like you, you are so funny LOL!

Why, thank you oh so much! Welcome to my RR list, then. I did, however, make some mean cracks about some of your threads once, I apologize, you don't have to add me if you'd prefer not to!

Quoting Klgaviation (Reply 38):

I think that the most important this a screener can possibly do is put a comment if there is something significant the person can be doing that isn't obvious by the rejection reason.

Thank you for agreeing with me, Chris! Let's start an online petition, haha. J/K.

Gary, you are also on my RR since you take special time out of your screening time to write comments. To all other screeners, whilst I'd love to add you all to my RR, I simply can't find all of you right now. So take my addition of Granite to be in memorium of you all! Thanks again for the work you do!

TIS

glennstewart

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 36):
I think that a lot of photogs here would agree with me that the addition of personal messages to more shots would be very beneficial

TIS, I will use personal comments often. I like taking the time to write a sentence or two if this helps the photographer. We can't do it to every shot, but hopefully it helps.

I'll answer both of the next quotes together....

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 36):
some rejections (like the motive one) are very ambiguous

Quoting Klgaviation (Reply 38):
Even though I get angry for all of my badmotiv rejections, I know that they're being rejected for a reason and I completely respect that. It's just that I never know what that reason is, which results in frusteration.

I understand the frustration. The motive rejection is one that became easier to screen with time only because screening 1,000's of shots, one becomes used to what is expected and what isn't. I appreciate that motive rejections don't appear as black and white to the photographers.

My one recommendation here is to become familiar with what is and isn't being uploaded to the site. If you appear to be going outside the square attempting new and artistic shots, upload what you like. Er on the side of capturing the aircraft before capturing art (not the other way around).

If you nail a shot and its brilliance and motivation shine through, we're sure to love it and accept it. A great photo will have motivation that screams out clearly. As long as everything else checks out as well... more often than not, it will be accepted. And if something is amiss, you'll be sure to receive a personal: we don't let brilliant shots slide through our fingers.

KLGAviation

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Glenn,

You have no idea how much I appreciate that response, and how long I've been awaiting one of its content.

Thank you!

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

glennstewart

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Quoting KLGAviation (Reply 42):
You have no idea how much I appreciate that response, and how long I've been awaiting one of its content.

Chris, I am glad I can help... and I can only hope that any insight I can provide into the screening process leads towards a greater understanding and a better appreciation of the process.

This is a site for people who have a love for both aviation and photography. The screening process and [some] rejections that occur, can appear to be mysterious.

Of course, no one is pleased to receive a rejection but I know that with a greater understanding, more practice and a sharing of knowledge and opinions on this forum, most can work towards avoiding rejections.

Glenn

S12PPL

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:42 pm

Be advised you may get called a kiss ass by some people here, don't let it faze you. Just keep shooting and uploading.

Nah...We just think that about you, Nick  Wink
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX