7E7Fan
Topic Author

Are These Good Enough To Try And Upload?

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Hi everyone,

Being a newbie at this I thought that I'd check with you guys first, before posting these pics to the screeners, whether you think that they are good enough? I have the RAW-originals so if you think that I should have cropped them differently or so please tell me..?

The pictures were taken today (oops guess it was yesterday now  Smile ) at the "Sjösäkerhetens Dag" display in Stockholm. The helicopter in question is supposedly a Sikorsky S-76C owned by Norrlandsflyg AB in Sweden but lent to Search and Rescue duties in the Stockholm area.

Is there are risk that I may get a "bad people" rejection due to the fact that you can see the rescue diver etc?

SE-HEJ in flight
SE-HEJ dropping the Rescue Diver into the freezing water
The Rescue Diver checking that the tail rotor isn't inadvertently chopping salad

Looking forward to any feedback you may have!

Thanks/Mike

flyfisher1976

RE: Are These Good Enough To Try And Upload?

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:43 am

Unfortunately, these won't make it on the site. They appear to be somewhat improperly exposed, and the quality is very low.

[Edited 2006-04-23 01:04:51]

dc10tim

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Mike,

The photos also seem quite soft and of unusual proportions. Try and keep the aspect ratio to 3:2 or 4:3.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

7E7Fan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, Ok, maybe I should let Photoshop rest a bit... I'f you don't mind I'll post links to the originals here instead... it would be too bad if I don't post them due to the fact that I've destroyed them in Photoshop?

So here they are, as they came out of the camera although converted from RAW to jpg. Still not good enough apart from that they may need a bit sharpening? Because if they are, there's not much more I can do I guess?

By the way on the low altitude hover picture, the last one, what may look like sensor dust there is not... it's actual debris in the air from the rotorwash.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Any feedback on these is most appreciated!

Thanks/Mike

KLGAviation

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey Mike,

I re-edited the first one for you to show a little more of what A.net is looking for, however due to the exposure (check out the sky) I'm afraid it's unsalvagable! Nonetheless, it's an AWESOME capture.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 683 File size: 772kb

New size= 1024*683

I only did a tiny bit of sharpening AFTER resizing. I adjusted the colors and levels in Photoshop then saved with full quality JPEG. Remember, this is simply an example... it's still not up to A.net standards but it will certainly help show you how to go about editing.

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

7E7Fan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Great thanks Chris! So that was it, the bled out sky was the exposure comment I've gotten earlier in this thread... I thought it was that I might have chosen the wrong white balance or something? Well it's a borrowed camera and I have quite mastered it yet...  Smile Well well practise makes perfect, I'll be back the next time I have something to show you guys!  bigthumbsup 

senorcarnival

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:45 pm

You said you shot it in RAW, didn't you? Play with the exposure compensation on the RAW file and see if that helps any.

The backlighting on this shot doesn't really help your case either. It's indeed a nice capture though.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

glennstewart

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting 7E7Fan (Reply 5):
So that was it, the bled out sky was the exposure comment I've gotten earlier in this thread...

These are hard conditions to shoot in and a challenge that would become easier with practice. For shot like this with bright surrounds that differ from the actual aircraft, change your light metering to be either centre weighted or spot (camera dependant).

Glenn
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

7E7Fan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Glennstewart,

Thanks for the tip, the 350 doesn't have spot so center weighted would probably have been the way to go, although I totally forgot about it in the heat of the moment - probably what differentiates the beginners from the pro's huh?  Smile

I too was surprised to see the completely washed out sky when I came home, usually the SLRs are so much better at picking up a blue sky than the compacts are.

But I'll keep practising!

Thanks/Mike

D L X

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:00 pm

Here's what I was able to come up with for the second shot. There is some detail in the RAW. I think someone who's better at CS2 may be able to save those shots. Maybe!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/D_L_X/Edited2.jpg