futterman

What's Up With Priority Screening?

Sun May 07, 2006 4:31 am

We've all seen shots that have been taken, uploaded, and accepted within hours, so it's clear that if a shot should be looked at quickly, it will be looked at quickly.

...but...

The other day, I uploaded a shot of Song's last scheduled flight from this past weekend. There's only one other photo of it in the database (priority creened and accepted), so I was careful to upload it within 24 hours of this other photo as per the "Help" popup on the upload page. I checked the box for priority screening and sent an email to the screeners, so needless to say, my image listed as "Currently In Screening" within a few hours.

However, it's still listed as such and it doesn't look like it will be screened for at least another few days (perhaps not until it would normally be screened).

Upload ID: 1979955
Upload Time: 2006-05-05 21:06:19
Other Image's Upload Time: 2006-05-05 16:14:22

I just don't understand the logic behind one screener priority screening a shot and letting it sit there ("in screening"). If someone could reveal the method to this madness, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian
What the FUTT?

dc10tim

RE: What's Up With Priority Screening?

Sun May 07, 2006 4:36 am

Think screening is running a bit slow over the weekend. I'm sure it's still in the 'Priority' queue waiting and not gone missing  Smile

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

christeljs

Sun May 07, 2006 4:36 am

Perhaps they have a lot of "priority screening'. I don't know. Just a thought.
Christel A Photography

clickhappy

Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 am

Simple, your photo is still in screening because there are both quality and motiv issues, and it hasn't been accepted or rejected. The other shot got on straight away because it didn't have the issues yours does...

futterman

Sun May 07, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
Simple, your photo is still in screening because there are both quality and motiv issues, and it hasn't been accepted or rejected. The other shot got on straight away because it didn't have the issues yours does...

Thanks for clearing that up, Royal. I'm a bit surprised to hear about quality and motiv being an issue, though. Do you know if it's still actively being screened? Or I have to wait the 10-or-so days until the rest of the queue clears out for a verdict?

Brian
What the FUTT?

clickhappy

Sun May 07, 2006 5:31 am

Once a photo enters screening it is screened with all the other pics currently in screening, so while it doesn't go to the head of the line, it is certainley in the top 2-3% of pics in the queue.

futterman

Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 am

Yesterday, I got a rejection email, but it was for another shot of mine in the queue that was not priority and still had another two or three days left. Weird.

And now I'm even more confused...the shot I did request priority for just went from "currently in screening" to "not screened yet". I didn't know that was even possible!

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Brian
What the FUTT?

OlegShv

Mon May 08, 2006 5:20 am

I don't know what happened to your upload Brian. I uploaded a shot for priority queue today in the morning, and it got accepted within an hour. So I guess it was indeed priority screening in my case.

timdegroot

Tue May 09, 2006 4:47 am

Brian, I haven't seen the shot, but if it doesn't show any special ceremony or farewell salute etc then it doesn't really qualify for priority screening.

Tim
Alderman Exit

DLX737200

Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 15):
Brian, I haven't seen the shot, but if it doesn't show any special ceremony or farewell salute etc then it doesn't really qualify for priority screening.

Then why did this photo get priority:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael C. Sikoutris

futterman

Tue May 09, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 15):

Tim

Understandable, but like Justin said, the "other image" (which I referred to in my original post) was clearly priority screened without showing a special ceremony or farewell salute, etc.

Also, the upload ID for my photo is still 1979955, so feel free to take a look at it. Perhaps you can also tell me why it went from "currently in screening" to "not screened yet"?

I'm just asking for the same treatment others have received. Forgive me if that's too much.

Brian
What the FUTT?

timdegroot

Tue May 09, 2006 6:31 am

I added it. The reason why it wasn't added straight away is that there were some second opinions for motive issues.

Priority screening of events like this is not clear cut, especially when there is really nothing out of the ordinary to see.

Tim
Alderman Exit

futterman

Tue May 09, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks a lot, Tim!  Smile

Brian
What the FUTT?

NIKV69

Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 am

Brian,

The photo that you are referring to was added to the DB after the photog asked for priority and it was granted by a screener who felt it qualified for it. After which it was screened and added since it was great quality.

You received priority on your shot, and you were told that the screeners could not decide since the motive and quality was suspect. Now we all know you probably didn't want to hear that but that is what happened. Since the photo was neither accepted or rejected you would assume it's either been left for Johan or a head screener for ultimate judgement. An email to the screeners could have avoided this whole thread.

Contrary to your belief you do get a fair shake here. Just because you don't always get your way doesn't mean you don't.

I am sure we are also going to get a thread if your photo is rejected calling the screeners out again as to why it should of not been rejected complete with comparisons to Mike's pic above which has already made it into the DB. Which is true to form for you.

In reality though the Screening process is fair and the playing field is level. You may not always get your way Brian but it does not mean any ulterior motive exists as far as you are concerned.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

DLX737200

Tue May 09, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):

I don't know why you wasted all that energy typing, it's already been accepted:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Futterman - NYCAviation

NIKV69

Tue May 09, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 22):
I don't know why you wasted all that energy typing, it's already been accepted:

I have no beef with the photo, in fact I liked it. Just believe there is another way to confront the screeners than to do it here while at the same time accusing them of not treating everyone the same.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!