kaitak

Photography At AMS

Tue May 09, 2006 6:17 pm

I was taking a few few shots of an arriving CI 744 at AMS this morning and a KLM employee came up to me and said photography was not allowed and would I mind not doing so. Of course, I stopped, but later, at the end of the G pier, in full view of security people, I was able to take lots of photos. No one batted an eyelid.

What exactly is the position? I'm actually quite surprised about this, because AMS is one of my favourite airports and I'd hate to think they were lowering themselves to CDG-type levels of unfocussed security. (KLM should only take their merger with AF to certain limits!)

Well, I'm off back to take a few more photos!

PipoA380

RE: Photography At AMS

Tue May 09, 2006 6:29 pm

I don't think the guy is of any authority, he's just a KLM employee, not an airport employee, and the security is here for that. AMS is one of Europe's spotting capital, it's not like it was the first time he sees a spotter!

Was just abusing his authority IMO...
Best regards
Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

IngemarE

Tue May 09, 2006 6:59 pm

What I usually do, when approached by all these "Captain America's"; I ask them to ID themselves and to explain what sort of authority they have, plus that I want to know exactly what law/rule I'm violating.
That usually shuts them up.  Wink

Now, when that's all said and done, it might just be the case that some parts of the airport are non-photography areas.
I can easily think of a few business/first-classers that wouldn't want to see a camera being used when they're close. Privacy and all that, you know. I think that should be respected. Everybody's entitled to a private life.
In thrust I trust.

ZSOFN

Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Hope you don't mind me asking this here but I thought it's somewhat relevant.

When I was boarding an FR 738 yesterday at DUB I stopped at the top of the rear stairs to take a photo of the fuselage looking forward (a bit like this one in BRS but - well... better.) I was stopped in my tracks by the flight attendant by the rear door saying that post 9/11 this wasn't allowed. Is she not just making that up?

petertenthije

Wed May 10, 2006 3:40 am

Airside photography is allowed, but sometimes when you are standing near US or Israeli airliners they do not like it. Have had police chase me of at times, and other times giving me pointers on where to get a better shot. So there does not seem to be a strict rule.

Landside you can do whatever you want as long as you are not trespassing, speeding or double parking. Big grin
Attamottamotta!

aviopic

Wed May 10, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
What exactly is the position? I'm actually quite surprised about this, because AMS is one of my favourite airports and I'd hate to think they were lowering themselves to CDG-type levels of unfocussed security.

As far as I know all photography inside the terminal buildings is prohibited.
It has something to do with privacy regulations and you have to arrange clearance to do so in which case you will be accompanied by an airport employee.
Also from the viewing area it is officially not allowed to photograph boarding passengers for the same reason.

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

kaitak

Sun May 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Just got this back from AMS:

"We have contacted the Security Department at Schiphol Airport, and they
assure us that Photography is permitted at the Airport, as long as it
does not involve the security filters.
Since you were confronted by a KLM emlpoyee, we advise you to send your
complaint to the KLM itself.

Yours sincerely,

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Customer Contact Centre"

So, civilisation is alive and well and living in Holland!

Who needs Heathrow or CDG when you have Schiphol!

Morvious

Mon May 15, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 6):
Who needs Heathrow or CDG when you have Schiphol!

Although Ams is a great place to be for spotting aircrafts, there is a need for other type of aircrafts or and airliners some days..

In those days, other airfields come in place Big grin
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden