dc10tim

Quality And Resizing Jaggies

Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Earlier I uploaded the shot below, but now I am having second thoughts about it, so I'd like some other photographers thoughts. I can see jaggies all over the place, which are a result of downsizing and cannot be got rid of by erasing. Has anyone else had this to any extent and how does it affect an upload re screening? It just seems certain angles get this effect.

Does this make the overall quality unacceptable? I thought this shot would make a change from the more standard side-on views from this location.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/gthoi1805dsa1024t.jpg

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Interpaul

RE: Quality And Resizing Jaggies

Sat May 20, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting DC10Tim (Thread starter):
I can see jaggies all over the place

I don't see any jaggies.  Sad

Jan

sulman

Sat May 20, 2006 12:22 am

Tim,

I don't think there's a jaggie issue, however it appears slightly soft / blurred to me, and sharpening will introduce the usual edge errors (nacelles and stabilisers are the usual culprits). Interestingly this is a characteristic of a lot of head-on shots I take at the long-end of the lens - but I don't have steady hands!

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Sinkrate

Sat May 20, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Interpaul (Reply 1):

I don't see any jaggies

Me Neither! LOL Nice picture though.

Michael

dc10tim

Sat May 20, 2006 1:31 am

Hmmmmmmmm. Well thanks for your input guys. The original doesn't look particularly soft. I can see jaggies though in places on the edit, most of all on the stabilisers and lower part of the tail. Also to a lesser extent on the bottom of the fuselage. All these areas have had the eraser tool at 100%, but the jaggies are still there. Does it matter?

Regards,

Tim.

norfolkjohn

Sat May 20, 2006 1:37 am

Tim,

I agree with the others that the amount of jaggies is negligible. I can just about fond some on the horizontal stabilizer but I would not have thought enough to cause a problem. I also tend to agree the shot is softish. I tried giving it a pass of USM at 500 / 0.2 / 0 and I think it looked better.

From your original post I'm not sure if you were saying the jaggies appeared due to resizing but if this is the case (and you are not already doing so) try resizing in width increments of about 400 or 500 px.

Good luck

John
One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.

dc10tim

Sat May 20, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 5):
I tried giving it a pass of USM at 500 / 0.2 / 0 and I think it looked better.

Will have another try John. It's just had one pass with these settings at the min.

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 5):
From your original post I'm not sure if you were saying the jaggies appeared due to resizing but if this is the case (and you are not already doing so) try resizing in width increments of about 400 or 500 px.

Will give this a try too. I already resize in two steps though (to 2048 and then 1024 in this case) to side-step the wiggly line problem I was having last year.

Regards,

Tim.