airplanenut

Help With A Problem With My New D70

Mon May 29, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi,

While taking some shots today, I ran into a problem that I also had earlier in the week... on just some of the pictures, the quality completely dies, while other shots are sharp and really nice. Here's one example:

US Airways Airbus

Also, there's a black speck in the middle of the shot... I can't tell why it's there, since I've seen it with two lenses, and I thought I wiped the camera's mirror, as well. Depending on the focus, it becomes stronger or weaker, so I think it's somewhere on the camera... any ideas where to look?

Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to show some of the better shots from the day  Smile

Thanks,

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

777MechSys

RE: Help With A Problem With My New D70

Mon May 29, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting Airplanenut (Thread starter):
Also, there's a black speck in the middle of the shot

Dust on your sensor.

edoca

Mon May 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting 777MechSys (Reply 1):
Dust on your sensor.

Seems like it. You wouldn't be able to remove it by cleaning the mirror. Your mirror flips up when exposing. If it was on the mirror, you'd only see it in the viewfinder, and not on the picture, not the other way around as here.
It would become weaker or stronger depending on the aperture used.
You'll find quite a few posts around the site, with info on how to clean it.

Question about the shot you posted: is it full-size, max-quality? JPG or RAW?

It also seems to be taken with a tele lens, and with a lot of heat haze (caused by temperature differences in the air through which you shoot). Very little you can do about that...

airplanenut

Tue May 30, 2006 2:02 am

The shot was taken with FINE JPG--I guess the best you can get without going to RAW. If it's heat haze, I guess I'll have to wait until the Boston temperature drops back to below freezing  biting 

I'll go search out how to clean the sensor, as well.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Morvious

Tue May 30, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 3):
I guess I'll have to wait until the Boston temperature drops back to below freezing

The temperature doesn't matter much. If the sun is out, you will see it on the photo. The effect of it only increases with the temperture.

You could try to look for a closer spot to the plane to avoid it. This distance is just to far in that shot.
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

mikephotos

Tue May 30, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 3):
I'll go search out how to clean the sensor, as well.

I would not clean the sensor. Simply blowing it with a quality blower (non-powered/non-can type) air blower should do the trick. Remove the lens, activate the mirror-lock up (in the menu), point the camera down and blow the dust away. Be careful not to hit the sensor with the blower (ie don't stick it too far in).

As for the quality, it has nothing to do the with camera. It's the conditions as mentioned above plus long tele and no sun.

Mike

airplanenut

Wed May 31, 2006 1:15 am

I looked up in the camera manual (I know... shame on me for using the manual) how to clean the sensor, and it also said canned air (with no propellant... so now I just need to find some to buy).

I actually ran into the grain problem both with and without sun, but I guess I'll just keep playing and get more comfortable.

I think I'll be taking to the sky in a private plane for the first time this weekend, and be flying by LAX (I think leaving from Long Beach)... this could be a great weekend in the making!  Smile

mikephotos

Wed May 31, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 6):
I looked up in the camera manual (I know... shame on me for using the manual) how to clean the sensor, and it also said canned air (with no propellant... so now I just need to find some to buy).

I would recommend this (or something like it) instead of canned air...

Mike