EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

My First Photo's Were Rejected.... Help!

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi all. I've been a member on A.net for just over a year now, and I enjoy it very much.

I've recently been given my first digital camera, and I'm using it as much as possible!!

I've recently tried uploading my first pictures to the A.net database, and they were both rejected (one is still to be looked at). Here are the links:

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...lename=20060604_ANetOACMyPlane.JPG

This one is a kind of dark and dreary day, so I'm not too worried about that one, but the second one I thought was fairly good.......

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...in?filename=20060604_AnetDGCWC.JPG

Reasons given were quality and motive...........

Your help and ideas please?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

viv

RE: My First Photo's Were Rejected.... Help!

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm

The stairs, and the fence in front of the nosewheel - and the general clutter - kill the second one on motive.

The quality is just not there in the first one.

What camera did you use? Did you use digital zoom on the first shot? The logo on the fin looks a bit strange.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
The stairs, and the fence in front of the nosewheel - and the general clutter - kill the second one on motive.

Ah, OK. What can I do about it? If I just crop it, it takes out half of the aircraft. Any suggestions?

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
The quality is just not there in the first one.

OK Fair enough. What exactly is wrong with the quality? It's a fairly dank day.

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
What camera did you use? Did you use digital zoom on the first shot? The logo on the fin looks a bit strange.

The first one was taken with an Olympus 5060 or something like that (Dads camera) and the second one was taken with my sisters Olympus little camera, not sure of model.

All future photos I will have taken with a Konica Minolta Dimage Z6, 6.0 megapixels.

eadster

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:57 pm

I agree with Viv, kill the second one, its not going to star here. One for the personal collection. Motive would have been because of the covered wheels

The first one could be saved but I would have to look at the original to be sure. Your edit is very jaggered and needs work but still nice shots of the old bird.

viv

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:06 pm

As Eadster has said, there are a lot of jaggies on the first one. It is very dark underneath, and yet the top of the rear fuselage is verging on over-exposed.

You need to start editing from scratch on the original. With careful sharpening and a bit of work with the Curves tool it might have a chance.

The second shot has no chance, don't waste time on it.

Don't get discouraged. Standards are high here and rejections are a fact of life.

[Edited 2006-06-05 12:07:32]

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting Eadster (Reply 3):
The first one could be saved but I would have to look at the original to be sure. Your edit is very jaggered and needs work but still nice shots of the old bird.

Ok....... Problem then...... That IS the original!!!!! I haven't edited it, and in answer to your earlier question Viv, no I didn't use digital zoom.

I'm not sure how to go about editing the photo..... how do I do that?

aero145

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm

If this is the orginal photo, why is it then so small? If it's really that came straight out of the camera, I think you can forget about it then.

However, if you did resize the orginal, and then send it, without editing, then it maybe has a chance, but, we have to see the real orginal if this isn't it.

Maybe you used a wrong setting in the Olympus, I really think so, as I think this olympus makes much bigger orginals.

-David

viv

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 5):
I'm not sure how to go about editing the photo..... how do I do that?

You need a good editing programme. The best is probably Photoshop, but it is very expensive and takes a lot of time to learn even the basics.

A good alternative is Photoshop Elements, which is much cheaper and gives you most of the basic tools you need.

Have a look at Fergul McLean's workflow - there is a link I think on the upload page here.

The things you will need to do are: adjustments to Levels and Contrast; Levelling; Cropping; Resizing; Sharpening.

You will get plenty of advice here on how to do those things.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 6):
However, if you did resize the orginal, and then send it, without editing, then it maybe has a chance, but, we have to see the real orginal if this isn't it

Ah, yes i did resize. The original was 3.84MB! I can email it to you if you like, but it'll take a while to get to you!!!

Quoting Viv (Reply 7):
The things you will need to do are: adjustments to Levels and Contrast; Levelling; Cropping; Resizing; Sharpening.

You will get plenty of advice here on how to do those things.

Many thanks, I do appreciate it.

aero145

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi there!

I'll IM you my e-mail.

I use Photoshop CS, and I have a big mailbox.

Regards,
David

EDIT: And I use Photoshop CS2 in my PC, I'm in an Apple PowerBook now.

[Edited 2006-06-05 12:57:09]

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 9):
I'll IM you my e-mail.

I use Photoshop CS, and I have a big mailbox.

Ideal....! Thank you.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:10 pm

This one has just been rejected too......

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...n?filename=20060605_AnetDGCWC2.JPG

Quality..........?

pavvyben

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 11):
Quality..........?

You got that right...that is pretty poor :S

Keep trying though  Smile

[Edited 2006-06-06 10:44:46]

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting Pavvyben (Reply 12):
You got that right...that is pretty poor :S

Keep trying though

Oh. OK. What's poor about it? I thought it was the best of the 3 I've put up so far.

I like taking pictures, but I don't know that much about photography, so I'm here to leardn. Your help is appreciated, but please bear in mind I'm a photography novice, so to speak.

pavvyben

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 13):
What's poor about it?

Its very oversharpened or that might just be down to the quality on the yellow steps and on top of the fuselage - not enough megapixels or a not so good lens. It also looks like that a noise reduction tool has gone overkill on most of the aircraft. If you want some chance of getting it on here, you might wanna resize to something around 1024x... and not have it so big.

Its also very jaggy on the buildings straight ahead of you and again the quality is very low. Did you use photoshop to edit this? Anther thing how much did you crop that photo? If it was cropped quite alot then thats why it doesn't look very good. It looks pixilated basically

By the way, im still learning aswell, ive not got a shot on here yet, but ive got some on other sites. One thing you will learn for sure is to get the shot perfect (or near) first time so less editing has to be done on the computer and if it isn't brilliant, then editing is vital. Airliners standards are very high, so its quite a challange to get a photo on without having huge amounts of experience.

Hope this helps

Ben

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Ben.

Unfortunately, I fear that it must be my sisters camera that I used, because I haven't cropped or edited any of the photographs I took at Brooklands.

I have taken a few photo's her at Exeter of a few flybe aircraft, and an Air Transat A310, taken this last week with my camera, when I know how to post them before uploading, I will put them here.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:51 pm

The A310 I mentioned earlier.......

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/AnetA310EGTE060606.jpg

Comments please?

PRM

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Looks like some chronic heat-haze at EXT! Overexposed fuselage too, if you can stop down the exposure a little on bright sunny days that will help. May also be blurry too.....

viv

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:57 pm

The A310 shot is over-exposed. Are you shooting with some kind of auto programme?

There is also some heat haze distortion, and the wheels are partially obscured, which is a no-no on Anet.

[Edited 2006-06-07 13:58:51]

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 18):
The A310 shot is over-exposed. Are you shooting with some kind of auto programme?

No, I just didn't change the exposure.

To me, it's a good photo, the best I've taken so far, but if its over-exposed, can I edit it somehow? Change the contrast or the brightness of the picture? Or even the gamma?

Help is very much appreciated guys, thank you for all of this.

viv

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 19):
but if its over-exposed, can I edit it somehow

No. Look at the nose. The highlights are blown. There is nothing you can do.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 20):
Look at the nose. The highlights are blown. There is nothing you can do.

Not sure what you mean by that? Could you expain in detail about the highlights being blown? Honestly can't see what you mean.

viv

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 21):
Could you expain in detail about the highlights being blown? Honestly can't see what you mean.

The brightness of the nose is beyond the dynamic range the camera can handle. The result is a complete loss of detail, particularly below the cockpit windows - and the outline of the door in front of the logo has been totally lost. There is NO editing programme or trickery that can recover that lost detail. Some digital cameras are set up to slightly under-expose, so as to help beginners to avoid blowing out the highlights. Others are not, so you have to do it yourself.

The solution is to get the exposure correct out of the camera, not out of the PC. If you had metered off the nose cone it would probably have been ok - or if you had noted the brightness of the nose and set the exposure compensation at minus half to a full stop.

If you use "auto" exposure, the camera will take an average of the whole picture. In situations where some areas are very bright or where there is very high contrast, the result will not be good.

Also, there is no editing programme to cure heat haze distortion.

Good first effort, but the shot is a lost cause. Don't waste more time on it.

[Edited 2006-06-07 16:08:21]

JeffM

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 22):
If you use "auto" exposure, the camera will take an average of the whole picture. In situations where some areas are very bright or where there is very high contrast, the result will not be good.

Actually Viv, it is not Auto that caused that problem. The exposure average you mention comes from the metering mode, (matrix, center, spot, etc.), not the exposure mode (A, P, Av, Tv, M). Full frame exposure averaging is done not only in A, but P, Av, and Tv modes. M is the only one with real control.

If Auto exposure mode was used, it most likely raised his ISO up to some degree, but it was his choice of metering that likely killed his image by "seeing" more dark areas then light causing the overexposure. Everything in the image is darker then the plane. Proper exposure for that image would require setting the exposure to read the fuselage only to prevent it from being blown out.

viv

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:45 pm

Jeff is right - my mistake. As I said, if he had metered off the nose cone (using spot metering) the highlights would not have been blown.

White aircraft in strong sunlight are always tricky.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 22):
Good first effort, but the shot is a lost cause. Don't waste more time on it

Damn. I thought that was the best of the lot.

BradWray

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 am

Charlie, You are in the same boat I was in 3 months ago.

I was using a compact point & shoot camera for aircraft photography and now Its in the draw waiting for my next holiday where it belongs to be used. I am now using a DSLR which consistably increases the overall quality of images.

-So firstly I would recomend buying a DSLR, you can get a brand new EOS 350 or Nikon D50 for around 400 GBP

Secondly I was uploading photo's that when I look back at now, I laughed my nuts off!
I either didnt edit them, they were no where near good enough or I got them in a free 30 trial version or an editing software and pissed about with what I didnt know.

So get a decent editing software and learn how to use it to your advantadge. I am just a beginer to photography but I feel I am improving greatly by just fiddling with my pics on photoshop or messing with the DSLR settings at the airport!

I hope this can help you out pal, good luck!

Thanks, Bradley! 

[Edited 2006-06-08 02:42:08]
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

f4wso

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:20 am

Try to control one variable at a time. Your two main issues are 1) airplanes (our favorite subject) and 2) learning photography, and 3) post-processing. My advice is to learn the photography fundamentals first. Books are still a good source. I don't have any web sources I can recommend but am sure a search on your specific questions may yield some good results. Reading the FAQ section for uploading is an excellent source for Airliners.net specifics. Once comfortable with the fundamentals, practice on static subjects free of clutter. General Aviation airports and outdoor museums are good sources. Be sure to have good sunny days. Once you are getting good results with static subjects, start photographing moving subjects where you can now concentrate on panning, shutter speed and aperture.

You can start working on your post-processing or editing using some of the workflows described above. It is a really rare image that will be accepted without any post-processing.

This is not to say don't take aviation pictures until you have mastered photography. You should be photographing for your own enjoyment with only the best being uploaded to Airliners.net. After 2 1/2 years of submitting images, I only consider less than 5% of what I photograph for uploading.

Don't loose heart. If it were easy, it wouldn't be very satisfying.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 pm

OK, forget the first photo's, the one's of Concorde, they were taken on my sisters Mickey Mouse camera that should be used for holidays......

The A310 picture, and all future pictures I'll submit, are taken with a Konica Minolta Dimage Z6 6.0 megapixel camera. This was a birthday present a month or so back, so I can't get rid of it and buy another camera just yet.

With regards to editing, however, I can try and learn how to edit.

PRM

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Here's a couple of links that provide a good start (by ANET contributors) for the post-processing:

http://rockymountainavphotos.com/Eri...cessing%20E%202%200%20%203%200.doc

http://rockymountainavphotos.com/Eric/workflow.html

Paul

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:41 am

Just out of interest, I also have this photo in the queue, which I took because of the heat haze, and the head on angle of a flybe Dash 8 here at Exeter. However, given earlier comments re: quality, I'm not sure whether to pull it from the queue..... Your thoughts?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/AnetDash.JPG

[Edited 2006-06-12 18:41:52]

9VSPO

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 30):
Your thoughts?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...h.JPG

You are kidding right?
 boggled   eyepopping 

cosec59

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:30 am

Your thoughts?

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 31):
You are kidding right?

I hope so  boggled 
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

apuneger

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 am

However, given earlier comments re: quality, I'm not sure whether to pull it from the queue..... Your thoughts?

Euh....I hope that no one has to think about this for more than 0,001 seconds, in other words: remove it. It takes nothing but precious screener time.

Sorry, but this photo is worthless for Airliners.net. If you like it, OK, no problem, but it won't get on Airliners.net.

Best regards,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:49 am

You are kidding right?

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 32):
I hope so

Guys,

C'mon, give the guy a break..

Did you not see in his first post in the thread that this is his first time uploading to the site?

Your posts are simply not required, and don't help him out at all.. he was asking for advice, and all you provided was nonsense..

Not everyone here is a photo genius, we all learn, and you gotta give people a break.

I've noticed a few members here are particularly harsh and uncalled for.

**end of rant**

EGTESkyGod, one thing you need to consider, and others have said in the thread, is that you'll probably never get a shot accepted here just straight out of the camera. You'll need to learn some heavy editing skills with a photo-editing software package such as Adobe Photoshop CS or CS2.

Additionally, I'm not sure what kind of camera equipment you use, but the liklihood that you'll get a shot accepted from a standard point-and-shoot camera is nil, although there are rare instances that it can happen.

If you'd like, drop me a personal message, and I'll gladly have a discussion with you over MSN or email or whatever.. I'm still learning, and I don't have a lot of photos on the site either, (47 I think?) but I like to help out when I can.

Thanks to everyone who's ever offered ME assistance, either directly or indirectly.. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you..

1011yyz (Mike)
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

cosec59

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 34):
Guys,

It wasn't meant in malice. I realise it's his first time uploading.
I feel that he should have taken a look at the quality of photos on the site and then compared his

9VSPO

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:17 am

Did you not see in his first post in the thread that this is his first time uploading to the site?

Hang on. He's got 10 decent shots on the site and he's currently listed in the top uploaders of the day with perfectly good shots so I think he does know whats required and that shot falls far short and if he asked himself deep down he would know that.

ptrjong

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 36):
Hang on. He's got 10 decent shots on the site and he's currently listed in the top uploaders of the day with perfectly good shots

I don't think so. Under which name?

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

JeffM

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:29 am

Your posts are simply not required,

...and yours are?

I've noticed a few members here are particularly harsh and uncalled for.

...let me guess...you wanna be a moderator?  Smile

you'll probably never get a shot accepted here just straight out of the camera. You'll need to learn some heavy editing skills with a photo-editing software package such as Adobe Photoshop CS or CS2.

Completely untrue.

cosec59

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 37):
I don't think so.

I couldn't find them either

flyingzacko

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:33 am

That's what i was thinking. I mean, if you look at his rejections you can clearly make out the name he uses to upload. But there are zero photos on a.net with that name.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

flyingzacko

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 38):
you'll probably never get a shot accepted here just straight out of the camera. You'll need to learn some heavy editing skills with a photo-editing software package such as Adobe Photoshop CS or CS2.

Completely untrue.

If it's something rare you might be able to get it on here, but otherwise I say no chance, I don't care how good of a photographer you are.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

9VSPO

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 am

Oops, I was looking at EDDL. Big grin

*ducks for cover*

ptrjong

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 42):
*ducks for cover*

No need Ian, I was just very surprised that Charlie would suddenly have something like ten photos on... that took me a few months even in 2004 

[Edited 2006-06-12 21:30:00]
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:33 am

let me guess...you wanna be a moderator?

No. Definitely not. THAT, I am 100% completely sure on.

Completely untrue.

Hence the "probably not" part of my post.

Your posts are simply not required,

...and yours are?

At least mine was constructive..

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 35):
It wasn't meant in malice. I realise it's his first time uploading.
I feel that he should have taken a look at the quality of photos on the site and then compared his

This, we can agree on.. A quick look at some of the pics on the site, and you can measure your shots against that.. agreed.

I more was just disappointed that there was just an air of negativity in the two posts, where it could have been a little more constructive to offer some criticism and perhaps some solutions.. not that I'm the moral police, but sometimes this website can really get to you.

Again, I hope he emails me so we can chat however..

1011yyz

[Edited 2006-06-12 22:41:11]
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

apuneger

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:00 am

Well, I didn't mean to sound negative either, but if you look at the photo I was referring to and comparing it to the quality of shots currently getting accepted, the only conclusion I could make is the one I made.

So, one advise: go out and take lots of photos, keep improving your skills by getting out every now and then. Ask yourself the question 'why would I want to take this photo, why would people want to look at it' etc... Keep looking for new angles, new light conditions, subjects, and try to be creative with your shots.

Also, it's certainly worthwile to analyze some of the amazing shots we get over here, try to learn from them. Oh yeah, and it's going to be really hard, if not impossible, to fix a shot that's bad in the first place, and the quality will decrease. So try to get your photos as decent as possible when you take them. Oh my gosh, now I sound like a pro, right?  Wink Better stop now then.

Greets,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 32):
You are kidding right?

I hope so

Um......... no I wasn't.......

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 33):
Euh....I hope that no one has to think about this for more than 0,001 seconds, in other words: remove it. It takes nothing but precious screener time.

Sorry, but this photo is worthless for Airliners.net. If you like it, OK, no problem, but it won't get on Airliners.net.

OK, gotta admit, when I left this thread last night, I wasn't expecting to get quite the flaming I got. I didn't upload this shot until I'd looked through hundreds of photo's of Flybe Dash 8s, especially the head on shots, and I decided that it was worth a go.... Evidently not, so I guess I'll remove it....... unless something can be done.

Your posts are simply not required, and don't help him out at all.. he was asking for advice, and all you provided was nonsense..

Thank you for that, I was just asking for advice guys.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 43):
I was just very surprised that Charlie would suddenly have something like ten photos on... that took me a few months even in 2004

Surprised me when I read it too!!

Guys, I'll ask you to remember that I am very new to photography, and while I realise how difficult it is to get a shot on A.net, I'm determined to do it, so any HELP you guys can give will be much appreciated.

ptrjong

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:19 pm

Charlie,

I can't see the Dash 8 shot now any more. From memory, it was recognizable as a Dash 8 but hardly any detail was visible. Like a photo of a face where you couldn't recognize the person.

You have to ask yourself questions like: Can I see here the kind of detail my eyes could see when I was there? Can I see on my photo, for example, what material different parts of the plane are made of?

Distance to and movement of the aircraft are problems that you better tackle later, when you have more experience. Start with a subject that you have better control of, for example, a light aircraft at your local friendly grass airfield, where you are free to move around and get the sun in your back.
Or a museum aircraft. You tried that, but that Concorde is displayed in such a way that makes it very hard to make nice photos of it.

Good luck,

Peter

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 47):
I can't see the Dash 8 shot now any more. From memory, it was recognizable as a Dash 8 but hardly any detail was visible. Like a photo of a face where you couldn't recognize the person.

You have to ask yourself questions like: Can I see here the kind of detail my eyes could see when I was there? Can I see on my photo, for example, what material different parts of the plane are made of?

You can't see it now cos I pulled it from the cue after the criticism, but I will bear that in mind in future. I put it on cos I saw similar shots and thought it might have a chance.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 47):
Start with a subject that you have better control of, for example, a light aircraft at your local friendly grass airfield, where you are free to move around and get the sun in your back.
Or a museum aircraft. You tried that, but that Concorde is displayed in such a way that makes it very hard to make nice photos of it.

Good luck,

I've taken that advice and I'm uploading a picture of one of our aircraft, link provided below. The Concorde pic is in the queue too after editing from Aero145, I'll leave it there for now.

The Duchess picture below, I have edited before I uploaded. I've balanced the colours, I've sharpened it very slightly and I've levelled it. I had to reduce to 1600 pixels and as a result, I think quality may have suffered but I'll put it up to see what you think.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/AnetGBXWA.jpg

ua935

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:07 pm

I would pull the Duchess photo.

It will get rejected for Quality, centred and level, it needs CW rotation.

Furthermore you should consider resizing to 1024, 1600 wide images will only get on the site if the quality is absolutly outstanding.

Simon
Live every second like you mean it