viv

Going Soft In The Head About Sharpening

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:15 pm

I just had a few rejections for 'soft'.

For me, sharpening is the hardest part of post-processing. The line between too soft and too sharp seems to be very fine (I also sometimes get rejections for over-sharpened).

I wish I could get some consistency going on this.

Oh well, 'nuff said, rant over, I'll be quiet now.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

linco22

RE: Going Soft In The Head About Sharpening

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:39 pm

I feel your pain Viv! For me now i'm starting to get a consistancy with my sharpening. 500%, 0.2, and 0 work well, for me anyway. I'll mask anything I dont want to sharpen or if its too fiddly i'll brush it out. But there is no doubt that sharpening can totally ruin a shot if not done properly(not saying you do it wrong, just a general statement!). You got any examples?

Regards
Colin  Smile

viv

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:47 pm

IL76

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:04 pm

All shots are oversaturated i.m.o...

Hunter: Looks like the whole picture is blurry. Pods under wing starts showing slight jaggies while the nose stays soft/blurry.

Yellow chopper: Looks like a heavy crop. Tail looks ok, nose & skids are soft and red bump under the rotor has a white line around it from sharpening.

Fat Albert: Heavy crop, oversaturated and suffering from heathaze giving it a soft look. Sharpening further will ruin it even more though.

C130J: Looks like a heavy crop again, making it grainy and blurry looking. The plane is surrounded by a green/turquoise line (from sharpening).

I think your USM setting could (should) be changed...
E

ThierryD
Crew

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi Viv!

Concerning the Hunter the softness is most noticeable on the nose and tail as well as the plane's left main gear; but the shot is also quite grainy. I suppose you cropped in quite tight!?

The rescue heli will be quite easy to save; only very light softness here; a general USM should do it but pay attention not to overdo the backdoor window frames.

The Fat Herc is another tight crop I guess; a general USM would also be required here but pay attention to the color transition lines as they already appear slightly jagged on the submitted shot.

The other Herc has a jagged wing and stabilizer; soften them and try to reduce the grain and it should be ok.

Hunter and Fat Albert will be difficult to get to A.net level but: Good luck with them all anyway!

Hope you had a nice time in Leeuwarden despite the not-too-optimal organisation to get people in and out of the airbase!  

Thierry

[Edited 2006-07-04 14:09:08]
"Go ahead...make my day"

viv

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
Hope you had a nice time in Leeuwarden despite the not-too-optimal organisation to get people in and out of the airbase!

Sure did! I was parked somewhere on a closed motorway - bussed to and from the base ...

walter2222

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Viv (Thread starter):
For me, sharpening is the hardest part of post-processing.

checkmark 

Quoting Viv (Thread starter):
I wish I could get some consistency going on this.

checkmark 

Hi Viv,

I have got similar problems! Now, at least, I know why your "Fat Albert" has not yet appeared here. I sure hope you can rework it to an acceptable level for A.net!

PS: Leeuwarden was fun indeed, although I arrived way too late..., although a lot of my shots are for the bin because of heat-haze..., although I did not get "Fat Albert" with an acceptable quality...  Smile

Good luck with the rework!

Greetings from a very hot Belgium,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 5):
Sure did! I was parked somewhere on a closed motorway - bussed to and from the base ...

Yeah, me too but on the way back I couldn't find my car on the first try so I had to do the tour twice; the bus driver was very kind though so that was not too big a trouble  Smile

However I don't understand why they wouldn't let the cars park on the grass areas around the airbase like they did in Zeltweg last year; from there you could then go by foot and didn't have such a huge delay while waiting for a bus to pick you up.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

viv

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 6):
Greetings from a very hot Belgium

Hi Walter - it's 31° here in Luxembourg today.

A camouflaged single-seat jet just flew over - on finals to ELLX. I barely saw it (I'm at work) - GRRRRRR

sulman

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 6):
too late..., although a lot of my shots are for the bin because of heat-haze

Irritating isn't it..and you can never quite tell how bad it's going to be. Was up at SOU on saturday late afternoon, and I shot about 50 frames, all of which were junk on close examination.

Fairford last year was similar, about half the display shots were gimped by haze - having only 200mm I was forced to catch aircraft close to the ground / on the runway.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.