airplanenut

How Should I Crop This Shot?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:53 pm

I was spotting at LAX for a short amount of time today, and caught this Alaska MD80 with a very long vapor trail. I'd like to show the whole trail, but to do so, the plane won't be huge in the picture. Do you think that's ok, and more imporantly, do you think the shot is ok? I've left it a bit larger than I'd likely upload it.

Additionally, I also took this shot of the same aircraft moments before, which shows some of the trail, but not nearly as strong. Would uploading the two very different views get me a bad double?

I'd very much appreciate your advice and comments on the photos... although I didn't take too many shots today, I felt that a lot came out really well--I'll be sharing those soon  Smile

Thanks,

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

Sinkrate

RE: How Should I Crop This Shot?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:05 pm

Hey

The first one will get rejected, it is backlit to an extent and the aircraft is too dark. The second one I like. But as the trails coming off the wing is not very noticable it might get a centered rejection. It also looks to far away in the frame. Just my  twocents .

Michael

ptrjong

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi Jeremy

If the vapor trail in the first shot is interesting enough, it means the subject of the photo is plane + trail. That means it is not well centered - the plane needs to be farther to the right and a lot of empty sky can be chopped off, making the plane larger. But the quality to do that doesn't seem to be there, and if it were, I don't think the trail is actually cool enough for this to work.

The second one needs to be cropped tighter - forget about the trail.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

eddl

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:26 pm

1) distance, dark, quality / blurry

2) distance, dark (wing area), soft/blurry (hard to tell), noise in the sky (looks like a Nikon to me Big grin )

aussieaviator

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting EDDL (Reply 3):
(looks like a Nikon to me )

Another reason to buy a Canon DSLR ?
 Smile
Graham Slingsby

eddl

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting AussieAviator (Reply 4):
Another reason to buy a Canon DSLR ?

I'd stay away from those lower end cameras where 200 is the minimum ISO sensitivity. But that's just my opinion ...  Smile

airplanenut

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:25 am

Thanks for all of the advice! I think I'll scrap the first one (oh, well, it was neat to watch them come in--a few 747s had full clouds over their wings) and I've redone the second shot:

Alaska Airlines MD80 Overhead

Let me know what you think!  Smile I'll post some more shots from the outing later today  Smile

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...