airplanenut

Your Thoughts On These LAX Approach Shots?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:59 am

I was at LAX for a short time yesteray, and came up with these. I'd like your opinions on any/all, especially with advice on how to improve them. I've started toying around with editing layers, instead of just an original, and I hope this has improved the end result. I finally just got shot of a moving plane accepted, so I hope it's a sign of what's to come  Smile

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Katz

1- Southwest 737... light was good for this one... I really like it

2- Private Jet---cute little plane for LAX  Smile

3- US Airways A320

4- United Express Embraer Brasila

5- Air Tran 737-700

6- ATA 737-800--I think this might be a bit too soft

7- American Eagle Saab 340

8- Southwest 737-700--Too soft?

9- Another Southwest bluebird

10- Southwest 737--Is this considered properly centered?

11- United Express CRJ

I'm hoping to spend a full day at LAX soon, so the more I can learn beforehand, the better  Smile

Thanks!

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

waketurbulence

RE: Your Thoughts On These LAX Approach Shots?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:05 am

I scanned through all the shots and right now I don't think any would be accepted. Some are closer than others, but the overall quality still seems to be lacking. Most of the pictures had a soft appearance to me, and some could use some brightness/contrast adjustments. You are on the right track though.
-Matt

airkas1
Crew

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:17 am

1. Soft
2. Blurry
3. Not a bad attempt, but also a bit blurry?
4. Nose is blurred
5. Good one! Dunno if it will pass the screening though
6. Soft, blurry engine
7. Quality
8. Soft/Quality
9. Looks ok...
10. Crop it more
11. Dunno about the nose..
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

ThierryD
Crew

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:57 am

1. soft, light heat haze
2. soft
3. slightly soft
4. soft, front part blurry
5. looks ok, a little dark though
6. slightly soft and dark, color cast (greenish)
7. soft
8. soft
9. slightly soft, dark
10. dark, front part soft
11. soft, dark

I'd say N° 1, 5, 6 and 10 are saveable but the others will be quite difficult to get accepted due to their common nature.
All in all your editing looks ok; try to improve your sharpening (avoid sharpening the sky).
But most important try to get your shots as sharp as possible while taking them (increase aperture, if you have a good zoom try to get some more distance to the planes as they pass by); also try to avoid taking such shots while the sun stands so high in the sky as you'll always have lighting issues with the planes being bright on the top but very dark on the bottom.

Good luck,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

airplanenut

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 am

Thanks for the comments so far!

As for sharpening, I have been selecting the sky, then doing an inverse so as to only sharpen the plane. I then use unsharp mask. Is there a way to get the pictures a little sharper right off the bat other than an increased aperture? These were shot with either 5.6 or 6.3, I believe. Let me know how much higher I should go  Smile

Regarding the sun, it was actually quite low--these were taken around 6:30/7PM, and the sun was setting (a bit to the right of the nose of the plane if traveling in the direction of the plane), so the sun wasn't really very high.

With respect to zoom, these were taken with an 18-55mm lens, and the larger planes (737 and up) are usually taken without full zoom. From this side, I don't know if it's possible to get a good view further away--these were shot maybe 20-50 feet to the side of the center guiding lights. When the light is on the other side of the planes, I can shoot with a 70-300 lens, but the planes are higher, and give less of a side-on view.

I do appreciate the help so far!

Jeremy

eadster

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:53 am

Have a look at your accepted one.

To be honest they don't compare - the others listed are very soft and the contrast is a bit out on some. Your accepted one is really good so I'd be using that as a guide for sharpness.

ThierryD
Crew

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 4):
Let me know how much higher I should go

I rarely use less than 9 for such shots.

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 4):
Regarding the sun, it was actually quite low--these were taken around 6:30/7PM, and the sun was setting (a bit to the right of the nose of the plane if traveling in the direction of the plane), so the sun wasn't really very high.

Then you should really try to get some more distance between you and the plane so as to open the angle at which you're shooting and/or try to get them further down the glide so as to not get as much of the bottom onto the picture. Increasing the distance will also help you somewhat with bluriness issues as you don't have to move your camera so quickly as the plane passes by.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

gocaps16

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Besides the Air France T7 shot, how come all of your other shots are just standard domestic airlines?  Smile

Kevin

airplanenut

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting GOCAPS16 (Reply 7):
Besides the Air France T7 shot, how come all of your other shots are just standard domestic airlines?

I got to the airport last Sunday after the heavies came in. My shots from the other two visits--many of which I haven't processed yet--are more exciting airlines  Smile

airplanenut

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:17 am

Hi,

I've made a few recommended edits... what do you think?

Air Tran 737-700

ATA 737-800

Southwest 737

Another Southwest

Also, with regards to the international heavies... let me know what you think of these!  Smile

Thanks!

Jeremy

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:02 am

Air Tran  checkmark 
ATA: better but it still looks a little greenish and you've jaggies on the nose below the cockpit windows; eliminate these and lighten up the image a little bit and it should go  checkmark 
Soutwest1: better but the bluriness on the front part kills it (unsaveable I'd say)
Southwest2  checkmark  if you eliminate the small jaggies on the nose gear doors

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

airplanenut

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks for the help! I've uploaded these four:

ATA 737

Air Tran 737--In doing this, I found out its the first shot of the plane in the DB... delivered only two months and a day before I shot it  Smile

Southwest 737

Singapore A340

Let me know what you think  Smile