BO__einG
Topic Author

Hooking Up A Good Deal On Photo Equipment Buys.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Hello all,

I am looking at completely modernizing my photography gear.
With a DSLR purchase coming up, I would like to get any feedback and experiences you guys have had when going into the photography stores and making a purchase.

Something along the lines of a DSLR plus a expensive telephoto lens will be in the thousands of dollars for price, I am wondering if anybody here were able to hook up a good deal for these.
I will have to purchase all those accessories like memory, batteries, camera bag, etc but I only have so much in my budget and won't be able to fill all of these.

I definetly want to get a 1 GB memory card, extra batteries and a nice bag with my camera/lens buy and want to get these items for discounted price or even for free.
When people spend 3-4000 dollars, I'm sure the dealers would allow some toss in's for 50% off or for free..
Some shared feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

chris78cpr

RE: Hooking Up A Good Deal On Photo Equipment Buys.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Sure, shops will discount you stuff but that's if your a regular customer who has spent thousands in there in the past years. Plus they will give you 10-15% if your lucky.

|Unfortunatly, if you want the best gear you've got to pay for it.

Otherwise buy cheaper gear. But as i said in the other thread, save up, buy the best and then be happy.

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

flyingzacko

RE: Hooking Up A Good Deal On Photo Equipment Buys

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Me and a friend of mine went to buy a 20D + 17-85 USM IS a while back and spent about 2000Euros on it. Then we wanted to buy the 1GB ULTRA II as well and all we got was a 10Euros discount, so the price for the card came out to be 80Euros instead of 90Euros which is ridiculous anyways. So from the experience I've gathered, camera stores don't care how much you spend and how overpriced they are already, they'll hardly ever give you discounts on stuff.

Cheers,
Sebastian

[Edited 2006-07-13 10:02:50]
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

Woody001

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm

From what I have been told by several dealers, they don't make that much profit from lenses and camera bodies. It's the accessories which make them money so don't expect to get stuff for free. People want to buy equipment at rock bottom prices, but then wonder why the shop/store has closed down after a while. They have to make a profit.

Best of luck with your new equipment purchases.

Ian.
If I could just get the afterburner working...

timdegroot

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Buy secondhand for the best deals. I've picked up brandnew lenses for 2/3 of the listprice.

Tim
Alderman Exit

flyingzacko

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:07 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 4):
secondhand

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 4):
brandnew

I don't get it, sorry.

timdegroot

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:29 pm

As in the lenses I bought secondhand were hardly used.

Sorry for the confusion

Tim
Alderman Exit

flyingzacko

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:13 pm

No problem whatsoever, I was just being kind of an ass.
But true, secondhand lenses in good condition are probably the best bet.

Cheers,
Sebastian

thowman

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 2):
Me and a friend of mine went to buy a 20D + 17-85 USM IS a while back and spent about 2000Euros on it. Then we wanted to buy the 1GB ULTRA II as well and all we got was a 10Euros discount, so the price for the card came out to be 80Euros instead of 90Euros which is ridiculous anyways. So from the experience I've gathered, camera stores don't care how much you spend and how overpriced they are already, they'll hardly ever give you discounts on stuff.

Did you want the shirt off his back too?

If you are a good, regular customer - you'll always get discounts. My local shop owner always rubs his hands together when he sees me walk through the door. Also I get excellent customer service - which is one reason I'll pay a bit more to the shop than to import via ebay from Hong Kong. Also, in the shops, you can go and play with the equipment, which is very important, especially when it comes to choosing things such as tripods etc, where there is a lot of personal preferences involved.

Likewise, the market is very competitive, and stores don't always have particularly big margins to play with on camera equipment. There is an awful lot of competition from the internet. A sad fact of life is that the camera shops tend to make more cash on non-camera items than on the equipment they sell, such as prints etc.

As a business owner myself, if I always gave huge discounts, then I would go out of business and shut down the business as I would make enough money to brake even. A shop is no different. It's not a charity.

JeffM

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Quoting BO__einG (Thread starter):
I definetly want to get a 1 GB memory card, extra batteries and a nice bag with my camera/lens buy and want to get these items for discounted price or even for free.
When people spend 3-4000 dollars, I'm sure the dealers would allow some toss in's for 50% off or for free..

rotfl  You want it, they have it, you're going to pay for it. As mentioned, you might get a few percent off, but it will be mostly a joke. A few thousand dollars for a body and lens is hardly a major purchase at a decent camera store. It is just the basics.

flyingzacko

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting Thowman (Reply 8):
Did you want the shirt off his back too?

We spent about 2000 Euros at that store for camera equipment. So wanting more than 10 Euros of the whole package can hardly be considered the shirt off his back. The 10 Euros are 0.5% and that is a big joke to me. Plus, at that point already I could have bought the 17-85mm lens of the internet for 500 Euros. The store wanted 720 Euros for it, so nobody tell me they hardly make any money by selling cameras and lenses. Obviously they have to pay rent and their employees but they can still give me more than a 0.5% discount without it hurting them.

Cheers,
Sebastian

[Edited 2006-07-13 14:43:16]

WhyWhyZed

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting Woody001 (Reply 3):
From what I have been told by several dealers, they don't make that much profit from lenses and camera bodies. It's the accessories which make them money so don't expect to get stuff for free. People want to buy equipment at rock bottom prices, but then wonder why the shop/store has closed down after a while. They have to make a profit.

That is all definitely true. Camera bodies, lenses, etc. Have very low mark-up (profit) and in some scenarios, if the market for that item is really competitive, or there is a great sale on it, the retail price may actually be below the cost of what they paid. That is why when you go to ANY electronic/camera store, they try and up-sell as much as you're willing to budge for.

"Oh, sir you'll also be needing a memory card, bag, tripod, extended warranty, cleaning kit, filters, hoods, extra battery(s), a shutter remote, a flash with a stofen omni bounce, a flash bracket, you'll need some batteries to power up that flash, as well. And while on the topic of power, you might also consider a battery grip."

Because, what exactly are they there for? They're there to make money. If you want a great discount, then so will the next person after you, and the next one after them, and next thing you know you'll be locking up the doors to your store for one very last time, all because you couldn't pay the bills.

- Jason DePodesta

Edit: typo

[Edited 2006-07-13 15:16:46]

WhyWhyZed

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 2):
Me and a friend of mine went to buy a 20D + 17-85 USM IS a while back and spent about 2000Euros on it.

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 10):
Plus, at that point already I could have bought the 17-85mm lens of the internet for 500 Euros. The store wanted 720 Euros for it, so nobody tell me they hardly make any money by selling cameras and lenses.

Well obviously in your market they're obviously able to rip you off, because there are idiots out there who will still buy it off them, at that price. Especially since you KNEW that you can get it cheaper. That's just plain out idiotic! Sorry... but it is.

- Jason DePodesta

aero145

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 11):
"Oh, sir you'll also be needing a memory card, bad, tripod, extended warranty, cleaning kit, filters, hoods, extra battery(s), a shutter remote, a flash with a stofen omni bounce, a flash bracket, you'll need some batteries to power up that flash, as well. And while on the topic of power, you might also consider a battery grip."

True...  checkmark 

But funny...  embarrassed 

-David

flyingzacko

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 12):
Especially since you KNEW that you can get it cheaper. That's just plain out idiotic! Sorry... but it is.

The thing was: It was a couple of days before christmas and my friend wanted to buy a D200 for his dad which had just come out a week before or so. So it was impossible for us to get one. Then he decided he wanted to get the 20D instead. Since he only had two more days to buy it, there was no chance to order it and still get it on time. And since he didn't care about the money he got it at the store. So much for that. It actually is plain idiotic, that's why I never ever buy my stuff at a camera store. I might go and test it there, but buying it there is a no for me. My friend however is a different story.

Cheers,
Sebastian

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:46 am

Intesting feedback guys,

I still think good deals are within reach. It just needs a bit of patience, some knowledge with the things I am wanting to buy and some smooth convincing communication. There are a number of dealers in my city who have branches scattered throughout so it aint some small camera store in the corner of a residential street running on razor thin margins.

The Camera Store, Vistek, Saneal Cameras (Those who live in Canada will know these).

In order to lure my business to their store when that much money is available to be given away, they will do whatever they can to make a profit and if it includes having to slash off prices or give away free accessory items, they will do it. Compared to the hardware, these other items are under 100 bucks usually and are not a big deal to them. So they are more or less likely to give me a discount or for free as a thank you for buying from them.

As for second hand equipment, nah I will pass. Sure there are some good barely used ones around but reliability and trust is in question and I demand full guarantee and satisfaction of my equipments.

Have any of you guys ever had discounts at the stores for any of the accessory items or even the big ones like body or lens?
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

WhyWhyZed

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 15):
Have any of you guys ever had discounts at the stores for any of the accessory items or even the big ones like body or lens?

On my original camera purchase I bought...
The Rebel XT w/ 18-55mm
75-300mm IS
Accessory kit (bag, battery grip, spare battery)

The lens I got for cheaper because a local store had it for $50 cheaper, so they matched it, as well they threw in an $80 gift card for the Henry's school of imaging classes. That's all I got, and I wouldn't expect all that much more.

In order to lure my business to their store when that much money is available to be given away, they will do whatever they can to make a profit and if it includes having to slash off prices or give away free accessory items, they will do it. Compared to the hardware, these other items are under 100 bucks usually and are not a big deal to them. So they are more or less likely to give me a discount or for free as a thank you for buying from them.

To a certain extent, that is true. But if in the long run, if they're not making money off you, or a very minimal amount... They couldn't care less whether you bought from them. Also, some companies don't allow their "associates" to bargain or compromise. The company I work for is an example of that. By all means, it doesn't mean that they don't want your sale... but they're literally trapped in a corner, and I'm sure would appreciate their job more than your one sale. So keep that in mind as well, if they say no, try another deal but if they still say no... keep what I said in mind.

- Jason DePodesta

JeffM

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:40 am

In order to lure my business to their store when that much money is available to be given away, they will do whatever they can to make a profit and if it includes having to slash off prices or give away free accessory items, they will do it.

Yea. Let us know how you make out shooting your wad, and what "deal" if any you get. You make it seem like the store will be able to take a few days off from the money you are going to spend.

AirSpare

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am

As for second hand equipment, nah I will pass. Sure there are some good barely used ones around but reliability and trust is in question and I demand full guarantee and satisfaction of my equipments.

Then you'll pay to much.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

timdegroot

Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 18):
Sure there are some good barely used ones around but reliability and trust is in question and I demand full guarantee and satisfaction of my equipments.

I just bought secondhand a 50mm 1.4 with 2 years warranty remaining. Good deals are out there you just need to be patient.

Tim
Alderman Exit

AirSpare

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:12 am

Hi Tim-The used market is to good to ignore. My last purchase was a perfect Zeiss 16mm Hologon, retailed new for 2 grand US, I paid 50%, perfect shape with a warranty. Especially digital cameras, it seems silly to buy new when state of the lasts about 2 years, and a 2 year old camera still takes great pictures. If you're not making 16x20 enlargements, who cares if it's a 11 or 6 meg camera?

You'll probably never find a used Gitzo or a A-S or RSS ballhead for sale, but buy used equipment makes those purchases possible.

All the stuff I buy now is used (except the film  Smile)

cheers!

md
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

WhyWhyZed

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:22 am

You seem to be one of those people, that want it all, with the best services and the dirt cheap price. Good luck on your searching...

As mentioned the used market can work miracles. Check out fredmiranda.com, they have a buy & sell forum there. Be patient and a great deal will appear. My 2nd last large purchase was a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens. Got it for $515 USD shipped (incl. customs). The lens was in pristine condition will only a tiny scratch on the bottom of the tripod mount. This particular lens, retails for over $999.99 CAD, plus the 1.14% tax.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:50 pm

Some of you guys seem to have somewhat of a cold reaction to my views.

When I plan to spend thousands of dollars on a new camera gear, this is serious stuff and I very much expect to get good returns out of it in terms of performance and reliability. Good service is absolute importance otherwise I wouldn't even bother stopping by at their stores.
I'm not sure how stores down in the United States or Netherlands or even Ontario work but here in my home many stores especially ones catered to the serious guys, they treat their customers very well. Service thesedays is very important and its because of that some stores here are thriving thanks to good customer reputation. For me that would be a deciding factor. As a matter of fact during my searches I slashed out one place because of service. There you go, potential business from me is lost.

As for looking for dirt cheap prices, full satisfaction etc. I have been shooting nothing but film for the last 10 years on my broken down EM (anybody remember what that is?) with the odd yet flawful point and shoot digitals. I think my upgrade is well deserved and I should have every right to demand best service and best equipment within my limits. If I have the money to afford a new lens and body, there is no need for me to shift thru pages and wait days or weeks. Used items are always at cheap prices.

I notice Tim's purchase of a second hand 50mm lens. Not too hard to find and not too pricey as I would imagine. Hey I would do the same, however would you buy second hand used prime glasses or fast glasses? Top end glass like those I'm not sure how often they would even appear for bargain prices let alone appear at all. I may consider second hand someday when I am ready to add more lens.

Jeffs skepticism: No worries, I am still looking around and will continue to try and get the best deals for my new equipment. Deals involving accessory items are usually the case when buying new camera gear and that is of my main focus. It is from experience and not some arrogant assumptions.

viv

Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 22):
When I plan to spend thousands of dollars on a new camera gear, this is serious stuff and I very much expect to get good returns out of it in terms of performance and reliability.

What has this to do with getting bits and pieces for free or at a discount?

Why? Margins on gear are tight. Money is made on accessories.

Some shared feedback would be great.

If it's so great, why are you not happy, having received it (for free!)?
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

JeffM

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 pm

When I plan to spend thousands of dollars on a new camera gear, this is serious stuff

Serious for you, no big deal to many. And surely common place for a photography store. Spending that kind of money is entry level these days. You won't get the red carpet treatment for a few thousand dollars no matter what "you demand".

I have been shooting nothing but film for the last 10 years

Good for you, don't see many 10 year olds using a camera anymore.

maiznblu_757

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm

If you are a good, regular customer - you'll always get discounts.

This is true. Adorama has given me discounts in the past. Ive ordered all of my gear through them (except the 300D) and have probable received $400-$500 in discounts and upgrades in shipping etc...

WhyWhyZed

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 25):
If you are a good, regular customer - you'll always get discounts.

This is true. Adorama has given me discounts in the past. Ive ordered all of my gear through them (except the 300D) and have probable received $400-$500 in discounts and upgrades in shipping etc...

Yes, but how much have you actually spent there? I'd guess atleast $8000, and if that's the case. you've still only recieved about 5% in discounts.

- Jason DePodesta

thowman

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:52 am

I'm extra lucky as I always get 17.5% discount over and above any other discounts I get. That's because my business buys my equipment, not me, so I can deduct the VAT.  Smile

Every little helps, and I don't particularly care who owns the equipment, as long as I can use it and pay less tax (I pay far too much as it is).

Andy

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:07 am

Quote:
What has this to do with getting bits and pieces for free or at a discount?

Bits and pieces? My free/discount inquiry is on the >$100 accessories.

Quote:
If it's so great, why are you not happy, having received it (for free!)?

Not all the replies on my thread are helpful feedbacks, such as yours for example. Some more recent replies do help such as Mazinbu getting 4-500 off for his buy.

I don't expect to get discounts for the expensive hardware portion for the camera gear. Things like the Body and lens I am aware that it will probably be full price I would be paying. If I am lucky I can get in on a sale or something.

But after that there are the things like batteries, memory, camera bag, filters and things of that nature which I would like to know whether or not you guys have had some deal worked out. How much in savings, 5% of a few thousand dollars is still pretty big.

If I spend say $5000 dollars on a new camera equipment with all the extras I need and manage to get as much as a 5% discount, that would be $250 dollars. Something to that level if possible at all would be considered a great deal.

When I eventually make my buy I am hoping to target a savings of $100-200 dollar range out of my total. Some of you may say its unlikely but on the other hand it is possible.
I have bought from some of the listed stores before so I do have some relationship with the business.

I will keep tracking the thread here and will plan to visit some more stores this weekend. I have a list of what I want so hopefully that helps.
Goal is to finalize for purchase as early as next week.

viv

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:53 am

I got $300 discount off my Nikon D200 body. How? By ordering it well in advance - before it was officially announced. I bought nothing else from the shop, not even a lens.

Beat that if you can!

maiznblu_757

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 26):
Yes, but how much have you actually spent there? I'd guess at least $8000....

- Jason DePodesta

A tad more than that. Add to the cash a couple shipping upgrades and them allowing me to return a bum 30D a couple weeks after the return period expired and then having the new unit back to me before a string of events, bottom line is you can get discounts and if you are a regular customer you will have a better chance of seeing these discounts.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:34 pm

I got back from a day of more camera store visits.
Now it is narrowed down into 2 stores. One of them I will go and make my big buy. I think that time is also coming up with my goal of getting a new camera by the end of next week.

FOr both places I spent a considerable time talking to the sales rep, looking at the equipment, asking questions, and showing them my list.

The price comparision between the two stores based on the equipment I am getting, there is a difference of $93.10. I guess not that big of a difference but enough such that I could use that to squeeze in a decent camera bag or a Skylite Filter. (not sure if filters are even worth the value)

The cheaper store said that they would not give any discounts or freebies. They have done that before but unfortunetly Christmas and Boxing day is long gone. Their reason is that the prices are already cheapest in the city which I am inclined to agree. HOwever they would slash 20-30 bucks off a 2GB Memory card. Also despite being the cheapest in the city, they were completely out of stock on the camera body and the lens that I wanted and said it would be at least a week of waiting.

The other place is a little bit more expensive but the sales person I was speaking with was an older adult in his 40's and had my items punched and quoted on the computers there. He said that he will speak to the manager and see how much of a good deal I can get from these items.
Also they do price matches as well.
They are in the middle of a sale because it is the World Famous Stampede going on right now with a million people visiting our city during the past 8 days. The memory card price during the sale is very nice and it is under 100 dollars for a 1GB card.
I have shopped in this store years back and managed to get a great deal for discounts and freebies, if I can do the same with my DSLR purchase, I am in photo heaven.

Ultimately if the best situation can come out of my search, I would hope to get a deal on all my equipment parts, including the teleconverter. Add the sales items like the memory card as well. If discount for the lens is too small, I would then try and have them price match the lens with the cheaper store.
Overall at the end if the savings is enough I may even consider squeezing in a good tripod+head as well.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:26 am

Update:

I have now finally narrowed it down to One Dealer store as they offered me the best out of all the others. Later today I will be planning on going there to make my purchase. I am very excited and same time anxious to get my hands on my very own DSLR camera after all this time being stuck with Print Film and point and shoot digi's.

I will let you know on how things went and whether or not I was able to get a deal/discount or not.

So Excited...  Smile

mikephotos

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 31):
The memory card price during the sale is very nice and it is under 100 dollars for a 1GB card.

Depending on which card, that is a horrible price.

Newegg is listing a 2GB Sandisk UltraII for $74
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...51&ATT=20-171-051&CMP=OTC-mys1mo17

Mike

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 32):
have now finally narrowed it down to One Dealer store as they offered me the best out of all the others

After all this, please share with us the details of the savings you achieved through

smooth convincing communication

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:32 am

Bah,  Sad

There is going to be a delay with the details.
I went to buy it today but my debit card has a limit for daily transactions so I am going to have to return on the weekend while I sort this out with my bank. If still no good, then I may have to pay by cash.

The Memory card that is under 100 bucks is the Sandisk Extreme 1GB card. In the middle of a sale right now so it is a pretty good deal.

"Smooth convincing" was used to get your attention to my topic in the thread.
I think I did a pretty good job discussing the various items of my interest with the dealer and managed to get a price better than the next competitor.

I will give a more complete breakdown of how things went after this part is complete.

AC773

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 35):
The Memory card that is under 100 bucks is the Sandisk Extreme 1GB card. In the middle of a sale right now so it is a pretty good deal.

I'm afraid you still getting a terrible deal on that one. B & H has one for 60 bucks, see link.

Even if you insist on new gear, the regular prices at places like B & H are waaaaaaaay better than any discount you'll get at the local places.

Not to mention I still can't figure out what your beef with used equipment is.  Confused
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

maiznblu_757

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:57 am

I sent you a link with someone to contact, obviously you aren't listening. You can get a 2gb card online for the same price. Suit yourself.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Please be aware that the prices that Mike and Phillip are posting is in US currency. Up here in Canada if you convert, I guess it would still be cheaper but then add in the shipping and handling plus any other taxes like GST and it would be close to or same as what I am seeing at the camera stores.
Many merchants here sell for around that ~100 area so it is completely normal. Especially in today's inflation filled markets. Also the cards have a rebate of another 15 or so dollars so that adds extra savings as well.

Earlier, I quickly dismissed some suggestions of going used gear.
Truth is, I don't have much of a beef on used equipment but because I have been saving for a DSLR for a few years, I didn't want to wait this long, and get a used camera when I can be more happier with a new one. (Not to mention prices gone down.) That was my mindset from the beginning. I have been patient for a while now taking the abuses of film. Especially with a camera with no automatic focus and exposure, shooting film is not easy, especially slower slide films. A used D100 was in my head for a time but that has long gone now. This new purchase of mine will be a huge improvement over what I am shooting with now and with enough $$$ saved up, my aim is still to get the best deals with what money can afford.
Only then, will all that waiting and saving up be truly worthwhile.

By the way: I currently take pictures with used equipment. Been doing this since I first started.

[Edited 2006-07-20 05:18:30]

AC773

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 38):
Up here in Canada if you convert, I guess it would still be cheaper but then add in the shipping and handling plus any other taxes like GST and it would be close to or same as what I am seeing at the camera stores.

-59.99 in CAD is roughly 67.90
-Add 6% tax to that and it becomes roughly 71.94
-Shipping to Canada with B&H is 19.25, converts to 21.81 CAD
-B&H doesn't charge tax on items shipped outside NY state, so total is 81.71

20 bucks is 20 bucks, but to each his own. My advice is to buy a used body from FredMiranda.com. You'll have loads more money to buy lenses with that method, and nice glass is the best place to spend your cash. Bodies come and go, but you can use your lenses for decades. Trust me, with just a little effort on your part you can find a used body on FM that looks and works like new.

I can sit here and tell you the benefits of buying used until the cows come home, but ultimately it's your decision. Remember, it's the glass (and not the body) that makes the most difference in the pictures you take.

-AC773

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 39):
it's the glass (and not the body) that makes the most difference in the pictures you take.

This is so true!

WhyWhyZed

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 39):
-59.99 in CAD is roughly 67.90
-Add 6% tax to that and it becomes roughly 71.94
-Shipping to Canada with B&H is 19.25, converts to 21.81 CAD
-B&H doesn't charge tax on items shipped outside NY state, so total is 81.71

...and then Canada Customs gets a hold of your memory card, and add's every possible tax to it, because "You could have bought it here". But still is a bit cheaper.

- Jason DePodesta

AC773

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 41):
...and then Canada Customs gets a hold of your memory card, and add's every possible tax to it, because "You could have bought it here".

...And then a Canada Post employee gets ahold of your memory card and decides to swipe it because "my son has a birthday coming up".  silly 

-AC773

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:22 am

Well I finally got my new camera equipment.

After all this I managed to get a paltry $11.00 savings.
A shameful dissapointment beyond all ridicule...

WhyWhyZed

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:45 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 43):

You're a great shopper!! Your saving are absolutely marvelous, Congratulations!  Silly

Care to share what you bought, and prices you paid? Just out of curiosity.

- Jason DePodesta

maiznblu_757

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:53 am

Honestly, I think this is funny. I sent you someone to contact and didn't even get a reply. It doesn't look like you took anyone's advice, so what was the point of posting this thread? To let everyone know you were finally getting a DSLR?

AC773

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:49 pm

I guess the upside to this is that (hopefully) you've learned to take good advice when it's given. You saved 11.00 CAD on the whole deal, which is roughly half of what I quoted you for a single memory card. Well, there's always next time.  Smile

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the customer service?

JeffM

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:11 pm

B.F.D. We are all thrilled.  Smile

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 45):
Honestly, I think this is funny.

Me too.

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 45):
It doesn't look like you took anyone's advice, so what was the point of posting this thread?

I wondered the same thing right from the start.

rotfl 
Imagine that. Didn't someone say this would likely be the case?

viv

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Offset the time spent going from shop to shop against the "saving" of $11.00 and the overall balance is probably negative (on any reasonable opportunity cost of time).

It pays to take advice. Plenty was offered here, mostly along the lines of "don't bother, it's not worth the effort".

Anyway, enjoy your new gear!

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:16 am

Classic replies you guys. It gave me a chuckle reading some of these.
I made that BS post to give you folks the benefit of the doubt.
Despite my attempts to get some helpful feedback in this thread, an unplesant slice of the 48 replies were BS so I put in a little BS myself to see what its like on you guys.

I made a number of valid points in all my replies but unfortunetly it didn't seem to apply to the some of you. Basically telling me to pay everything full price or go used over the internet doesn't quite help me with what I am looking for.
My intentions were to see if there is possibilities of getting a discount on some of the items or accessories if I am buying them together.
I think there were three or four useful replies which agreed with what I was looking for and may had a little role for my own experience.
I wanted a new camera gear to replace my current gear which is entering its 27th year. I think its a bit overdue eh?

I wouldn't post on this thread if I truly saved only that much.  Embarrassment  covereyes 

The prices I got from my very first quotes to what I ended up paying at the end turned out to be a exactly what I was looking for: A Good Deal.

$11.00 was actually how much I got off for my Memory Card + additional $15 for sales event.

The total discounts I got out of my purchase was $216.40!!

So when some of you folks like Jeff Miller says its not possible; well it just happened to me and it can also happen to you by using your head and taking a few extra steps.

It doesn't hurt to open your mouth every once in a while when you are in the camera stores. They will listen since they do value your business and if your spending big bucks, they'll do whatever they can to get you to consider them over others.
Narrowing down to the top 2-3 stores is also important to better track their prices and to compare any benefits such as free addons or discounted merchandise.
Mention those when at the store to see what they can do to sweeten it up or at the least, match it.
And of course, being patient and waiting. Somebody in this thread said that and I couldn't agree more. It paid to wait a few years and buying it now when I was charged and ready.
This may varie by country to country. Maybe some places it IS better to look for deals over the net and buying there. Others like my home it is at the stores.

What to do with those extra bucks; I bought a nice Manfrotto Tripod with a ball head today. Would of been impossible if it been only $11.00 savings. Big grin
A camera bag is also in the eye sights as well hence the other thread i made on those items. My savings will add to a separate budget for those two.

Hopefully I learn to use my new camera quickly so to get back shooting at my airport with true satisfaction.