administrator

Upload Queue Limits Reduced

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:54 am

Hi guys,

To cope with the very high numbers of photos uploaded during the summer period, the upload queue limits have been reduced. They are approximately cut in half for most of you (check the current queue limits here).

At first, you might consider this a bad thing but think about it:

• The upload queue will be cut in half
  • Your waiting time will be cut in half!
  • Photographer pre-upload self screening will increase.

So if this change works as intended, the queue will be shorter, waiting times shorter and photo quality higher!

Our goal is not to continue decreasing the queue limits for everyone, quite the opposite. Our long term goal is to remove all limits for everyone and cut down screening time to 24 hours or less. But please understand that it is very, very difficult to accomplish. Good photo screeners are hard to find and there's a limit to how much screening one can do in a day. We will work to improve our screening interface and introduce improvements for photographers and screeners alike and hope to one day be able to remove all kinds of limits.

But for now, let's try this and see if the situation is improved. Please do not hesitate to post suggestions if you have any ideas that might help the queue situation.

Thank you for being an Airliners.net photographer!

Best Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

xenon

RE: Upload Queue Limits Reduced

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Sounds good!

Thx Johan!
AirTeamImages -ATI-

D L X

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Good deal.

(2 for new uploaders though... wow.)

While you're at it, why not just set the queue limits to be a multiple of some index that automatically updated for queue size?

Joge

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Administrator (Thread starter):
Our long term goal is to remove all limits for everyone and cut down screening time to 24 hours or less.

Back to the good old days? Man, that would be nice.

-Joge
Bula!

ake0404ar

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 pm

So if this change works as intended, the queue will be shorter, waiting times shorter and photo quality higher!

Our goal is not to continue decreasing the queue limits for everyone, quite the opposite. Our long term goal is to remove all limits for everyone and cut down screening time to 24 hours or less. But please understand that it is very, very difficult to accomplish. Good photo screeners are hard to find and there's a limit to how much screening one can do in a day. We will work to improve our screening interface and introduce improvements for photographers and screeners alike and hope to one day be able to remove all kinds of limits.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you........

It was about time that actions are taken, (I mean this in a very positive way)

One thing that still boogles my mind is the upload ratio......someone who uploads 50 side on approach shots of BA 319 and 320 at LHR has an acceptance ratio of 100% thus is rewarded with a picture upload allowance of 25 or whatever number currently in place, so in the next batch we see 50 BA 757 on approach to RWY 27

But I guess this is the system.....

Anyway I hope that your actions will bring some improvement in handling the queue, so in a few days the queue will be down to zero.

Regards
Vasco Garcia

administrator

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 4):
someone who uploads 50 side on approach shots of BA 319 and 320 at LHR has an acceptance ratio of 100%

Unless those 319's and 320's have never been uploaded to Airliners.net before, they will be very difficult to get accepted. If we already have a high number of photos of a particular registration, our requrements are very high (even for Airliners.net standards!  Wink )

Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Sinkrate

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:19 pm

Sound good. It would be great to see the queue times down to less than 24 hrs.

Michael

Stealthz

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:20 pm

Johan,

I think this is a positive step,
Just this morning I was looking back over that marathon "Slow Queue" thread and wondered if it would result in any changes.
Pleased to see this kind of action.

Regards

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

NIKV69

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:24 pm

I have mixed emotions about this. I feel this is a band-aid for a problem that continues to grow. We all see how many new photogs join here on a daily basis and every summer it will just get worse. How about getting out there and finding at least two or better yet three new screeners and training them. Then screen an average of 1200 pics a day if not a little more. I think getting a pic screened in 24 hours is a fantasy. 3-5 days for off peak times and 8-10 days max for extremely heavy times is a bit more practical. I don't see why making people that do pre-screen have less uploads for the sake of those who don't. If you get people who constantly upload poor photos and who don't pre-screen deal with them on an individual basis. What I see happening is as soon as the queue corrects a bit and the wait is back to a shorter time everyone is just going to say let's go back to the old limits.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Olympus69

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 pm

It seems like a good idea Johan. I'm just wondering if it will really work as expected. Some of the more prolific photographers will probably upload more photos from their backlog as soon as some of their photos in the queue have been cleared, one way or the other. When their allowance was bigger they may not have had a backlog, and thus uploaded less frequently.

However, I certainly Hope it works as expected. There is another way you could have dealt with the problem - ban everything except airliners. I can imagine how popular that would be  Smile

BO__einG

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:36 pm

Good start.
I think a positive approach to handling the over saturation of this site.

Not sure if anybody here remembers when Johan would do the screening himself. Overnight processing for many cases.
When things started to creep over 3000, he gave it to the screeners. When things started to creep over 10,000, out came the barrage of new screeners and some tougher measures. This part is probably within the 10,000 measures.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

jetav8r

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:11 pm

The wait will only be cut in half if every body currently fills their queue to maximum capacity. Do many people do that? It's rare for me to do that, but I had 60 slots. I don't really care how long it takes, but if it'll stop some of the complaining in this forum I guess that's good.

Alex.

eadster

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Good to see something has come from that massive thread/argument!

Hopefully it will make a difference for a while.

Only thing to do now is sit back and see if it all improves...

paulinbna

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):
hen screen an average of 1200 pics a day if not a little more

I agree with this statement 100%, I don't think this is going to work for this reason:

Quoting JetAv8r (Reply 11):
The wait will only be cut in half if every body currently fills their queue to maximum capacity

How many people actually fill the queue to the limit.I have now but I usually don't. Every one I know about 6 people that upload here don't either. So how is this going to reduce the queue by half.

This is from the upload page:
There are a total of 13702 photos from 1936 photographers waiting to be processed on the upload page

That is 7.07 pictures per photographer.

Wouldn't be easier just to "hire" 15 more screeners. Since they work for free no cost to the admin at all.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

DLX737200

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 pm

So everyone expects the que to go from 2 weeks long to 24 hrs or less. If this were true, lower que limits may not be so bad. But I HIGHLY doubt it to drop to that time limit. I'm afraid this is going to turn away more new, upcoming photographers with a lot of potential. With a limit of 2 for someone without any in the database, it'll become very discouraging. Even for those people who have photos in the database but are still low in numbers, it's a loss. If it drops the time significantly, good move. If it changes by a few days only, I am totally against it. I'd rather my que limit be 60-70 like it was and take 2 weeks rather than it be 30 and take 10 days like I feel it will. I guess we'll see

-Justin

res

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm all for it, but is this more of a temporary action or permanent until it needs to be drastically changed either way (more or less photos in the limit) ?
FLY NAVY

D L X

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 14):
I'd rather my que limit be 60-70 like it was and take 2 weeks rather than it be 30 and take 10 days like I feel it will. I guess we'll see

Does ANYBODY really need to upload 60-70 shots in any given two week period?

edoca

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:53 pm

I think I like it. I'm not at all impacted, now down to 15 but I've never ever had more than 10 in simultaneously.

I think people with more than 15 or 20 spots in the queue do not have a reason to complain, but that's my personal view of course. Even if you live close to a major airport and have enough photo opportunities to fill such a large queue, some restraint will probably be good.

I would be a bit concerned about the absolute minimum of 2. That is very drastic. Maybe a tweak would be that you raise to 5 as soon as 1 is accepted? But that's really something we non-screeners can't decide I guess. If a big part of the problem is that beginners fill up their current 5 slots with so much rubbish that it does clog the queue, then by all means go to 2; but if it is rather on the high end of the spectrum that most uploads sit, then 2 is a little harsh.

Just my thoughts!

edoca

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 16):

checkmark 

ua777222

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:12 pm

The need might not be there but as a photographer that is their right. Thank you Johan for helping out in making the queue shorter.

Thank again,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

paulinbna

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:20 pm

Say you have a queue limit of 50, over a 15 day period. That is 3.3 pictures a day does not sound like a lot to me. Say in that two week period you go to an airport like JFK, ATL, LHR or LAX or any other large airport for 3 days. I know at ATL that could mean more then 100 aircraft taken a day so you have 300 aircraft in 3 days. 50 uploads is not that bad from 300. Even better 3 per day.

All I am saying is that 50, 60 or 70 upload spots for one person is not that unreasonable when you have the traffic at an airport to fill them.

Remember not every body, by far, is uploading to the limit.

Psych

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:32 pm

I certainly would agree that we should applaud any attempts made by the site management to tackle the issue of the queue length.

Only the crew members themselves can know the make up of the queue, but those stats mentioned above by Paul above do seem to suggest that generally photographers are not uploading in huge batches - unless of course that mean is made of up of a lot of big uploaders, balanced by a large number of people with only very few in the queue.

My main comment would be on the very low allowance for new photographers - only 2 slots feels very restrictive. One of the reasons for this is that intuitively you would think that a proportion of the photos uploaded by new guys are very easy to screen - i.e. they don't have the required quality - and thus can be rejected rather speedily on first review. Is this a correct assumption to make?

Back to my argument in that previous thread about reinforcement - my worry would be that, unless the queue length reduces very quickly, people having to wait quite a long time to see what happens to their 2 photos will quickly be attracted elsewhere, where they might get their feedback more immediately. So I would argue a limit of 2 would only be okay if the queue length was already very short. Equally, you could argue that lowering the upload limits is a sensible way of keeping control of the queue, once it is already low - but, to get it down to low levels, the priority must be more screening resource to catch up with the backlog. With that in mind, once the airshow season is over, for example, might it be worth setting a very temporary high restriction on uploads for all (say, for just a couple of weeks when the team know a lot of screeners are available), to allow the screeners to catch up. There would be little difference for photographers, who would have had to wait about 2 weeks anyway, but a 2 week 'window' with only very few uploads could allow the screeners to make a big difference. Then, once low again, it might be easier to keep the issue under control.

Cheers.

Paul

D L X

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 20):
All I am saying is that 50, 60 or 70 upload spots for one person is not that unreasonable when you have the traffic at an airport to fill them.

Think about it: it's not 60-70 at one time, it's 60-70 every two weeks. Nobody needs that. If someone is doing that, they're emphasizing quantity over quality.

paulinbna

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 21):
temporary high restriction on uploads for all (say, for just a couple of weeks when the team know a lot of screeners are available), to allow the screeners to catch up. There would be little

Now that is an idea I could get behind you could even say on the upload page temporary halt for uploads and point the person to a page that explains what is going on. Of course the priorioty screening queue would still be active.

It would not take long at all say about 7 to 10 days to clear the queue then re-open the upload part of the site. If the screeners can keep the queue at 14500-15000 then why can't it keep it at 1000-1500.

scbriml

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 22):
Think about it: it's not 60-70 at one time, it's 60-70 every two weeks. Nobody needs that. If someone is doing that, they're emphasizing quantity over quality.

A few folks are uploading large quantities of scanned old slides from the '70s & '80s (or even older). We're stemming the flow of those valuable additions to the site.

Personally, I have doubts that reducing the upload limit will have that big of an effect. More often than not, the average shots/photographer is less than 7.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

9A-CRO
Crew

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm

i think that there is too big difference between minimal and maximal photo limit

maxlimit shouldn't be more than 30 if minimum is 2
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:34 pm

This is fine as far as I am concerned. I think it will probably reduce the size of the queue, but let's wait and see.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

paulinbna

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 24):
A few folks are uploading large quantities of scanned old slides from the '70s & '80s (or even older). We're stemming the flow of those valuable additions to the site.

Very good point.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 24):
More often than not, the average shots/photographer is less than 7.

My point exactly.

cosec59

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:57 pm

This seems to me to be a cop out. There are 2 ways to reduce the screening time (if that is deemed to be neccessary) and I feel that the easy way has been taken. Surely the best way forward is to increase the size of the screening team and make changes to the screening process. That includes far stricter regulation of "priority uploads".
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

Bruce

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 23):
If the screeners can keep the queue at 14500-15000 then why can't it keep it at 1000-1500.

Very good point, Paul. The number has been in the 14,000 range consistantly for some time. It would be just as easy to keep it at 1,500.

As for the idea that most people are uploading the average # of about 7 - 10 photos, I don't think so. I think there are a small number of photographers who upload a lot of photos. Look at the list of photographers on the "about" page. Only 40 or so have more photos than me on here, but hundreds and hundreds have less than me - how many photographers does a.net have? 12,000? There is a core group of photographers who upload a lot of photos. I can't break down the numbers because I don't have access to that info - but I'm sure if you crunched the numbers you'd see that.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

LGW

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Johan,

Good move in my view. My uploads have been cut but if my shots are screened faster it doesn't make a big deal in the long run as I can upload again quicker, may also stop card dumping to if you can't upload many in one sittting.

Quick question, sorry if its been discussed, I have more shots in there queue now than I am alowed under the new rules, are they left in the queue to be screened and when do the new rules start?

Also only having 2 shots for newbies is a good move because they are far less likely to achive the quality required thus often filling the queue with shots wasting the screeners time.

Ben

[Edited 2006-07-20 10:04:46]

timdegroot

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Let's just all wait a month and see where the queue is at. We are working very hard at the moment, and we are down about 2K from last week. Not bad with the Farnborough show going on.

Tim
Alderman Exit

Rotate

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 31):
Let's just all wait a month and see where the queue is at. We are working very hard at the moment, and we are down about 2K from last week. Not bad with the Farnborough show going on.

checkmark  checkmark 

Yep, Q is allready going down ... , thx for the hard work.
Also I think we should wait and see whats going to happen. I think the Q will be down , but not dramaticaly! I think the best point is the limit for new uploaders ( I know people will hate me for that).
ABC

LIPH

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:53 pm

But when will the upload limit return to normal (i was just "promoted" to 10 a few days ago....) ?

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

jumbojim747

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:59 pm

Mine has been cut by half .
Half that i rarely used anyway but a chance that my photos will be screened faster without any real loss to me ill take that.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

timdegroot

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:01 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 33):
But when will the upload limit return to normal

probably never, it will stay like this. Even with a lower queue it results in faster turnover and more variation.

Tim
Alderman Exit

jumbojim747

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 35):
probably never, it will stay like this. Even with a lower queue it results in faster turnover and more variation.

Tim one thing that does worry me thou is if say a well known photog that tries to push the limit on here and there is a lot of them .
What happens if their acceptance ratio falls to the point that they only have a few slots available when they previously had a lot to play with.
That might just stop them from uploading different stuff and try to salvage their slots.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

Danny

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:58 pm

To cope with the very high numbers of photos uploaded during the summer period, the

I'd say " to cope with lack of Peter on the screening team". The uploads are more or less constant all the time.

But I am ok with that, never upload a lot at a time.

[Edited 2006-07-20 11:59:16]

Rotate

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:04 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 36):
What happens if their acceptance ratio falls to the point that they only have a few slots available when they previously had a lot to play with.
That might just stop them from uploading different stuff and try to salvage their slots.

Yes, thats also a problem I see ....

Robin
ABC

LIPH

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 35):

But will there be still the possibility to gain more slots as always ?

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 39):

Yes, based on number of acceptances.

[Edited 2006-07-20 12:33:05]

ptrjong

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Quoting LIPH (Reply 39):

Upload Queue Help
The number of photos you can have in the upload queue at any one time is dependant on:
The acceptance ratio for your last 50 uploads
The total number of photos you have in the Airliners.net database
For the acceptance rate on last 50 uploads, the upload queue limits are:

Acceptance ratio of 0% to 29%: Queue limit 2.
Acceptance ratio of 30% to 49%: Queue limit 5.
Acceptance ratio of 50% to 69%: Queue limit 10.
Acceptance ratio of 70% to 89%: Queue limit 15.
Acceptance ratio more than 89%: Queue limit 25.

Important note: If we do not have stats for your last 50 uploads, your upload queue limit will be 2

If you have photos accepted into our database, your upload queue limit will increase:

0 - 49 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 0.
50-99 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 2.
100-499 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 5.
500-999 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 10.
1000-2999 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 15.
more than 2999 photos in our database: Queue limit increased by 25.

The upload queue is setup this way to reward people that pre-screen their photos and do not cause extra work for our already overloaded photo screeners.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

AirMalta

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi
I know that this action was taken in the interest of airliners.net and the photographers themselves because this thing is a round circle but my mind says if you have alot of work and you cannot cope with it I think you have to increase men power!!What do you think?

Good photo screeners are hard to find

Can I ask: Why so hard?There are several other good photographers on this site for sure!!Alot of people around the world submit pictures....obviously in summer weather permits more around Europe especially and several airshows around so it is expected that it will shoot up!!
All d best to everyone and I cannot leave out the hard workers on this site!!Keep it up guys!
Malcolm B.  Wink

LHRSIMON

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:09 pm

Can someone confirm ....

1) What is classed as a common aircraft on the DB 20-30-100 photo's ???
2) Does location come into effect. For example an IB 340 is more rare at LHR than MAD. And may only have a few photos at LHR in the DB.
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting LHRSIMON (Reply 43):
1) What is classed as a common aircraft on the DB 20-30-100 photo's ???
2) Does location come into effect. For example an IB 340 is more rare at LHR than MAD. And may only have a few photos at LHR in the DB

(1) I wxould guess 70-100 shots.

(2) No.

scbriml

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Just been bitch-slapped with this. I was keeping half my upload slots free for Farnborough. Now I have a whole 4 free (don't want to delete my shots that have now been in the queue for a week to free up some more). banghead 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

IL76

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting AirMalta (Reply 42):
Can I ask: Why so hard?

We need to find people who:
- ...upload pictures with a constant good quality, so (s)he has good editing skills and recognises editing issues/flaws for example,
- ...have quite some pictures on the DB already (experience),
- ...have the time and dedication to screen a reasonable amount of photos every day/week (this reduces the list considerably already),
- ...can work in a team and fit the current team,
- ...have some elephant skin...

timdegroot

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 44):
(1) I wxould guess 70-100 shots.

(2) No.

Common is not so simple. A rare situation or just brilliant photo might not be rejected for common whereas a normal sideshot might if it's a bordercase qualitywise. An cloudy, dark shot of an easyjet A319 might even be common with 20 shots in the db.

Tim
Alderman Exit

eadster

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Out of the 10's of thousands of users here, surely someone fits the bill...

ghostbase

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 9):
There is another way you could have dealt with the problem - ban everything except airliners. I can imagine how popular that would be

Ooooh!! Actually I would like to suggest that *airliners* should be banned and everything else encouraged. That would neatly solve the problem of 50 identical side shots of A320's which several posters have referred to and also result in a more balanced and interesting database as well as more varied work for the Screeners.

To develop the point I have just uploaded four shots from back in 1993, all of military aircraft taken at Edwards AFB. Three of these will be new additions to the db if accepted while there is one photo of the final one but in a completely different paint scheme. Surely that is better than yet another A320 side shot?  Wink

To be serious, a limit of two photos for 'new' photographers does seem a tad restrictive, guess it depends where the bottleneck is. I have faith in Johann and his crew and look forward to a shorter queue once this summer is over.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"