jetav8r

Level Help

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 am

Hey,

I've had a couple level rejections lately on panel shots that I thought were level. Because of my wide angle and the angle at which I take the shots (from the right seat, so it is not straight on) I'm having a hard time leveling the photos. With the small queue limits I'd like to keep my ratio as high as possible, so thought I'd ask for more eyes to help decide if these are level.

This shot was leveled to the top of the GPS and the top of the standby DG on my side. As far as I can tell it's level, but I'm not sure if it should be leveled to something else.

http://airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/8603uyuyu.jpg

I leveled this one along the bottom of the engine gauges which are above the six pack.

http://airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/5201Lredit.jpg

I'd really like to get those two photos accepted so if you see anything wrong with them please speak up!

Thanks a lot,

Alex.

coninpa

RE: Level Help

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Alex,

I would have levelled it to the well marked outside horizon. And this would even show the real bank angle of the airplane.

Cheers
Patrick
Patrick De Coninck

Kukkudrill

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:52 pm

If you're levelling the cockpit rather than the outside horizon, both look to me like they need quite a bit of clockwise rotation still. Taking into account the position and angle of the camera relative to the instrument panel, for me even the coaming above the panel should have a slight left-to-right downward slant. Try levelling according to a vertical roughly in the centre of the panel, e.g. the line running down the panel on either side of the GPS in the first photo.
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

ThierryD
Crew

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Coninpa (Reply 1):
Alex,

I would have levelled it to the well marked outside horizon. And this would even show the real bank angle of the airplane.

checkmark 

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

jetav8r

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting Coninpa (Reply 1):

To me thse:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alex McMahon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

look better than these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Fritsche - Airplanespotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kurt Ams

You don't have to tilt your head to look at the subject, no offense to the above photographers, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Kukkudrill,

I'll try what you said and see how they look.

Thanks,

Alex.