edoca

Motive Issue On Cockpit Shot - Any Solutions?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi all

don't have that much experience with cockpit shots but I thought I'd give it a try with this shot from a Convair.
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20060814_ZK-CIF-cockpit-SUV-2.jpg

Is the motive rejection here salvagable?
Is it due to the first officer's white shirt/fluorescent jacket? Is it the window reflections? The crop?

Anything else? Quality isn't super and I'm doubting about rotating it, but is it worth it (considering it is a fairly rare sight I guess nowadays)?

Thanks for the help!

andrewuber

RE: Motive Issue On Cockpit Shot - Any Solutions?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:36 pm

From my experience with cockpit shots (and cockpit rejections), I don't think this shot is salvageable - here's why:

1. The shot is only showing the Captains side of the panel - but there is a ton of dead space left of the panel (i.e. the shot might as well have been centered).

2. The shadows on the left side of the frame are somewhat distracting - this cannot be fixed (unless you crop it out).

3. There is a shoulder visible in the right side of the frame - that will probably get the bad motive call.

4. There are reflections of the flash in the radar screen - I think that's a no-go on the motive as well.

5. There is nothing visible outside, yet the panel is very bright. A timed exposure would have been much better (if possible), and would have exposed the ramp a bit. While this is not necessarily a reason for a bad motive rejection, it certainly doesn't help.

6. The charts on the captain's yoke almost seem to be the subject of the shot - this is also probably contributing to the motive call.

That being said - it is a quality shot - next time perhaps get a bit closer to the Captain's panel, and center it in the shot. IF possible - also try a timed exposure to minimize reflections and shadows.

Keep uploading!!  bigthumbsup 

Drew  wave 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

Spruit

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 1):
From my experience with cockpit shots

Cracking reply!   Just wish some of us later arrivals could see the image in question!

Spru!
Edit!
And as I posted this, it appears!  Smile

[Edited 2006-08-17 20:30:35]
E=Mc2

edoca

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:01 am

Thanks a lot Drew, that says it all I guess. FYI, shot taken with point-and-shoot old Sony V1 camera, in a hurry while exiting from the plane... so flash was really my only option, especially with a camera that isn't very strong in low light situations. But thanks for the hints, better luck next time perhaps!