flamedude707

Can I Use Lenses From A Film Slr On A Rebel Xt.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Pretty simple question. Wondering if I can use my old Canon lenses from my film slr on a new Digital Rebel Xt. Will it work? Will the quality be crap? ust wondering. I am faiarly new to digital SLR's so I was really not sure.
Thanks
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.

WhyWhyZed

RE: Can I Use Lenses From A Film Slr On A Rebel Xt.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Provided that it is an EF mount lens, it will work. Some of the older lenses might cause vignetting and other minor glitches in the way the lens works but for the most part it does work.

I might be wrong, but i'm quite sure about this.

- Jason DePodesta

lewis

RE: Can I Use Lenses From A Film Slr On A Rebel Xt.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Yes, you can use all EF lenses on the Rebel XT as well as Canon's EF-S lenses that are made for crop digital SLRs. You can also use all 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc.) although I think some of them might need to be re-chiped.

Because the sensor of the Rebel XT is smaller than the frame covered by 35mm film, you will get the impression that your lenses have more zoom. For example, your 28mm lense will not be as wide as it was with your film camera but for aviation this is more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 1):
Some of the older lenses might cause vignetting

I think that vingetting is more of a problem with full-frame DSLRs because the cropped sensor ones do not use the edges of the circle image that lenses produce. Even if there is vingetting, it will be negligible.