diezel

The Kick From A Beautiful Picture

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:10 am

After reading all the threads about the screening process, the frustration, the unfairness and whatever more which might not be fair or not right about this site and after reading the (great) thread about the screening process, I just asked myself do I really care? And guess what...the answer is no!

I like planes and I like photography and more than that I like it when those two things come together in the perfect picture. I'm a planner and so normally have a plan when I go to the airport. I try to execute that plan and usually it works out for 50 or 60%. But sometimes I get the full 100% and then I receive "The Kick" and usually I know it at the moment I press that shutter button.

I know for sure that at least some of you feel the same. So let's forget the screening process and acceptance rates for a while and show some of your pictures which gave you The Kick. Plugging is allowed but share the story. I'll start:

I was trying for a while to take the ultimate take-off shot in dusk or dawn light. A shot which is done so very well by Wietse de Graaf and Luis Rosa. After struggling with the right exposure, time of day and position along the runway I got it finally right! It's by far not my picture with the most hits but I got a kick from it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roel Kroes

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

9VSPO

RE: The Kick From A Beautiful Picture

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:13 am

Nice jumbo shot.  Smile

Quoting Diezel (Thread starter):
I got a kick from it

Good, that's what it's about.  Wink

timdegroot

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:15 am

Good for you Roel!

See you sometime at that same place during winter Wink

Tim
Alderman Exit

Psych

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:20 am

I'll get a kick if the 6 that I have currently in screening get through  biggrin .

I still enjoy it when the screeners say 'yes' to my photos.

Cheers.

Paul

cosec59

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 3):
I still enjoy it when the screeners say 'yes' to my photos.

I think we all do and despite all thats been said in discussions over the past couple of days, is why we are all here.
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

DLKAPA

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:26 am

The trick is to not be bothered by when they say no, which as we all know, is a feat very difficult to achieve.

Still, This one felt pretty good:
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

9VSPO

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 5):
The trick is to not be bothered by when they say no

yes 

http://static.flickr.com/74/184870890_0dad9b8f28_o.jpg

cosec59

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 5):
Still, This one felt pretty good:

You could add that to the "self pics" thread on non-av  Wink
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

INNflight

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:38 am

was trying for a while to take the ultimate take-off shot in dusk or dawn light. A shot which is done so very well by Wietse de Graaf and Luis Rosa.

Now that you mention it... felt really good there, having a great time with Luis and snapping away. No chance I'd consider any of the photos I took my ultimate one though.  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Trojer Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Trojer Photography

Jet Visuals

timdegroot

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting INNflight (Reply 8):
took my ultimate one though

is there such a thing Florian? Smile

For me that's the great thing about photography, trying to get a "better" shot every time.

Tim
Alderman Exit

aero145

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

Why this space in the bottom?  confused 

9VSPO

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 9):
that's the great thing about photography, trying to get a "better" shot every time.

I agree but you should come to Manchester.  Sad  Big grin

INNflight

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 am

is there such a thing Florian?

No chance Tim.

For me that's the great thing about photography, trying to get a "better" shot every time.

Very right. Imo I'm just starting out with photography. The 300D I still use remains my first camera I took serious pics with... and hopefully more great days to come like these  blockhead 

Jet Visuals

aviopic

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:06 am

I was guiding a free lance photographer who was going to shoot some images for our biggest newspaper The Telegraph.
After telling him the story about the aircraft and showing him both in- and outside he went to work............. well sort of.
His camera bag did not have the separate spaces we all have, no lens caps neither sun hoods were there to be found.
It looked like he picked anything at random just to smack it back in without any clue what to do next and on top of that his equipment didn't work as advertised(what a surprise).
Which annoyed me to the max, irritated(or was it frustrated) I picked my own gear and although I could not see behind the QAPS paint shop I could hear an aircraft starting it's take off run.
Quickly selected my trusty 70-200 and ran away for about 30 meters turned around and guided by instinct took position waiting another 2 or 3 seconds.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Willem Honders

That's the way to do it.......... dumbo.
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

linco22

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 am

You know what bugs me?

Not having the opportunities at the airports you guys have. There is only so much I can do with Flybe and Easyjet from outside the perimeter fence

Regards
Colin  Smile

JRadier

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:29 am

I can very much relate to you Roel. I was getting lazy for a while, going during the day, shooting the good pic every now and then, but it didn't give me that kick. Then I went to ZRH this summer, got up really early on the sunday morning to shoot the arrivals starting at 6am. From the moment the first rays of sun touched the skin of the aircraft I knew what I missed all that time. It weren't killer shots in terms of motive, but technically superb.

So now I go to the airport in the early morning, feeling like shit when I get up (boy do I hate not being a morning person), getting in the car, drive out and knowing it is going to be a good sunrise. Then when you get to the runway, see the planes landing and great light I am truly happy. And after, getting home and viewing your pics on the screen getting that kick of the shot you wanted.

It made me (truly) enjoy taking photos again. Got so much more things to try, photo's to make but I know the effort will be worth it

[sentimental off]

Jurgen
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

LHRsunriser

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:37 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dominic Nortney - Capital Aviation Photography

Cheers Dom
Getting back into it

diezel

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting INNflight (Reply 12):
hopefully more great days to come like these

Nice picture. I'm working on the security vest and the badge coming along with it. Opens up more opportunities  Wink

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

aero145

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 3):
I'll get a kick if the 6 that I have currently in screening get through

At least 3 of them got in...

ThierryD
Crew

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:21 am

Definitely this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

Great spotting place for landings when RWY24 is in use but we had RWY06 that day. And then it all becomes a game of hazard cause the place is on the last quarter of a 4km runway and if you don't know how heavy a certain plane is you either change sides and try to get a boring but certain taxi shot or you stay there for a nice rotation shot and take the risk of ruining it all due to the plane possibly being light and very high already when passing by.
That day though I intended to finally get that rotation shot I planned quite some time ago already and it couldn't have worked out any better.  Smile

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

scottieprecord

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:57 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

WN's Lone Star One is a plane that I had alwayyys wanted to capture. I've only seen it probably 2 or 3 times my whole life. Well I was up at my favorite spot at SAT one day. I was pretty much done shooting... light was getting pretty low. I saw a WN 733 on approach (we get wayyy too many of these). I got in the truck to drive off, and something told me to get back out and capture this one last plane before I leave. Well as it got closer, I realized it was none other than Lone Star One... My heart lept! This is the resulting exposure... IMO, my best shot.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

This shot gave me a HUGE kick. First off, 747s at SAT are very rare. So that in itself was a big deal. But second, this plane hadn't flown in over a year. Anddd it's in a half-Virgin livery. Which was pretty cool. So ya, this shot isn't too much quality-wise... but that was probably the biggest Kick I've gotten. I was literally cheering for myself in the truck. haha

Oh, and excellent thread idea Roel... thanks!

-Mike

jetav8r

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

I had already flown for about 7 hours that day in an old, poorly ventilated 172 on an 90*F day; all I wanted to do was get back to some air conditioning. I was on my final leg, crossing the local airbase when approach said I had a C-5 crossing 1000 feet under me. My camera was in the back seat, I grabbed my 170-500 and D60, put it together quickly and took three or four shots. My heart was beating hard all the way home! It didn't make the front page, but ended up getting quite a few hits.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

Sorry to post two photos, but I couldn't choose one. I got a text message from a friend of mine at 5:30am asking if I wanted to run down to the Outer Banks and back for fun; which is about a 400 mile round trip. I'm surprised the short text ringer woke me up, but by 7am we were on our way to Manteo, NC. We landed down there and it was such a beautiful day we decided we'd fly back VFR up the coast and look for airports to visit one day. We flew right over FFA at about 4500 and at that instant I knew it would become my 1000th shot at a.net!

Alex.

Lanas

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:19 am

Great pics guys!!! Big grin  Wink

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 14):
Not having the opportunities at the airports you guys have.

I agree 100%. I shoot in AEP and it´s always the same two airlines and always the same spots. Luckily the local market is opening up, so now traffic will be a bit more diverse.

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

jetav8r

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am

Just appreciate what you have. You could always be stuck with me in southern Delaware, two hours from any airport with airline service shooting, Cessna after Cessna!

Alex.

jid

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:47 pm

I must admit I remember watching this shot as it progressed through the queue

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jid Webb

It certainly was a kick when it got accepted.

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

Psych

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:54 pm

I remember being rather nervous about this shot getting through, even though it was a long time ago. I would be even less confident now. I was really pleased when it did, and I continue to enjoy seeing comments posted by people new to the shot.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Markman

Even though I have tried on a number of occasions since this photo to replicate the motive, with better equipment and lens to improve the quality (and more experience with editing), I have never been able to get things right. It is surprisingly hard to get the angles right, and the lighting is a real pain. Any result would all too easily fall foul of the 'distance' criterion, even for a screener in a very generous mood. Plus the height of landing aircraft varies, which rather messes up the whole motive of the shot - so this may end up being a one-off for me. Rare to get snow these days as well, and I am sure this helped light up the underside without the need for any 'fancy footwork' in PS  wink .

All the best.

Paul

P.S. I wish I had taken Jid's photo  biggrin 

linco22

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:00 pm

Great shots guys,

A bit off topic but this morning I was greeted with that crisp cold winters type morning this morning. The soft of light that makes things that little bit easier. Shame I had to come to work!

Regards
Colin  Smile

b78710

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:09 pm

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 20):

that Vs 747's still there isnt it? or it was around a year ago when i was there, do you know if tehres any plans for it?

philhyde

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:39 am

I know for sure that at least some of you feel the same.

For sure, I know exactly what you mean!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Phil Hyde

I am very proud of this photo, which involved more luck than planning. On this day, I knew that there would be a water cannon salute, but I had no idea what my vantage point would be. Lucky me, the parking garage roof put me in exactly the right place! This is what it's all about - airports, airlines, and airliners! Enjoy!
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

LHRSIMON

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:51 am

Do i get a kick when i try something a little different and it pays off .......

Hell yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Curtis
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Curtis

Or just end up in the right place at the right time !!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Curtis

Simon C
 Smile
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

scottieprecord

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting B78710 (Reply 27):
that Vs 747's still there isnt it?

It actually left about a week after its first test flight...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N705TA

Havn't heard or seen anything else about it. This plane came to SAT with a group of other 742s from MHV about a year and a half ago... I think there were 4 total. The other three went to Transaero, so I'm assuming this one's destined for them as well...

-Mike

ptrjong

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:52 am

Planned shots? That would be this one for me.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong

It's exactly what I envisaged when I read when and on which runway this bird was to turn up.
Thanks to the AMS workers who post expected traffic on the Scramble messageboard! thumbsup 

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

IL76

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:04 am

It's nice when you get off the beaten path and get the shot you were hoping for. I can go for safe and get more of the well know AMS angles, or I can venture out and try a different spot. Tim and I stood there for more than an hour and nothing interesting came by, or passed way too high, when this very heavy bird did exactly what we were hoping for. So we came home with 10 shots instead of a CF card full, but it sure felt a whole lot better!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Brantjes

E

PS, you'll see Tim's shot soon aswell, different plane, same location, same awesome angle.

[Edited 2006-09-15 21:05:12]

EWS

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:10 am

I have a couple which i've really followed, and i believe to be my all time best.

View Large View Medium

Photo © EWS Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © EWS Photography

Lew

b78710

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:39 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jungle King

mine

AdamWright

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:39 am

When I took this one I didn't think it had potential to be one that I'd go home and treasure as being apart of my collection.. but after looking at it a few more times, I'm glad I took the time to snap this right before going home at the end of the day.  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Adam Wright

-Adam

spencer

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:44 am

I must admit, this gave me a little tingle down the old pantaloons when I realised what I had captured, looking at the LCD!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Spencer Wilmot

Spencer.
(Still tingling!!!!!)  goodvibes 
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

TransIsland

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:07 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen B. Aranha

Yeah, I get a kick out of many photos... but there are some emotions that a photo can convey only very poorly.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

McG1967

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:24 am

I had went out specifically to get some shots of this seaplane. Just before I got to where it's based a shower passed through creating a nice rainbow behind it.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark McGrath

digby

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:29 am

Jungle King,

I never saw that image when it was first posted, and I must say, a fantastic shot! My mind thought about how difficult it must have been to get it right. So many things had to happen. Well done!

Like Roel, I like to go out to try to get a specific shot, but sometimes when you go out to get what you planned for, you come away with something better than you ever hoped... this was my shot.

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Morrell - Avid Creations

David.M.
Friends don't let friends shoot Nikon!

walter2222

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:32 pm

I like this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Walter Van Bel

On one of the hottest days of the year, it was very difficult to shoot acceptable shots because of the heat-haze, but this one came out pretty cool (to me, that was).

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

sleekjet

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Speaking of kicks, this one booted me all over the place:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Perkins

Tim
II Cor. 4:17-18