JohnJ
Topic Author

What Got Me On Motive For This Shot?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:53 am

I had the shot below rejected twice a few weeks ago - the first time for soft, then for motive when I sharpened it up a bit:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20060824_aa_n189an_ain_8311_2.jpg

I have no intention of re-submitting this shot again, but I'm curious as to the reason for the motive rejection. My motivation for taking the shot was to show a fairly clear shot of the engine and newly-applied winglets on an American 757. I know reflections can also result in a motive rejection - there's something going on on the bottom of the engine that could be a window reflection.

The reason I'm even asking this weeks after the fact is that I got the chance to re-shoot the picture at a better angle this morning. Still not a lot of scenery going on below the plane, but I believe I got a nicely-lit, reflection-free shot very similar to the image above (but on the opposite side of the plane). Is the view in my picture really bad motive, or did the reflection kill me on this one?

Newark777

RE: What Got Me On Motive For This Shot?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:58 am

My guess is that they thought there was a lot of dead space in it, and the outside scenery isn't all that interesting.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

JeffM

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting JohnJ (Thread starter):
but I'm curious as to the reason for the motive rejection.

That's just it....There doesn't seem to be a motive, you're eyes just wander around wondering what to look at.

Lanas

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:48 am

John

I think the motiv rejection was due to having left a part of the engine out. The pic gives doesn´t have a central subject here. With this crop there´s neither focusing on the wing/engine nor focusing on the landscape.
The dead space on the right would qualify for a center rejection, not motiv, so I don´t think that´s the problem. Also I don´t think that the minor reflection could have caused the motiv rejection.
My humble opinion, hope it helps.  Smile

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

PUnmuth@VIE

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting JohnJ (Thread starter):
motive

Could as well be the tiny bit of window frame in the lower left corner
-

codeshare

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Too much empty space IMHO. The sky is greyish, too little aircraft visible.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?