CYEGsTANKERS

Done Uploading2!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 am

Micheal Carter might not be the only one...
regards,
Richard Barsby

prat

RE: Done Uploading2!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 am

Sorry to hear that Richard. I've enjoyed many of your photos over the past couple of years, so many thanks for all the time and effort (and cold weather in edmonton) you spent taking them!

My personal favorite which I left as my desktop wallpaper for months,

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Barsby - Aviation Photography CYEG

Thanks again.

Dan

ptrjong

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:13 am

What happened, Richard?

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

eadster

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:43 am

no This is not good.

Another great Photographer gone...

clickhappy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:06 am

This type of thread is ridiculous. Richard, I have an idea why you might be upset, seems to me you had a picture in the queue that had a really awkward crop and there was much discussion about it, I for one would not have allowed it in, but other screeners liked it, but to do a dummy spit and threatned to leave is nothing but an attempt you slag the screening team and create attention for yourself.

QANTAS077

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 4):
but to do a dummy spit and threatned to leave is nothing but an attempt you slag the screening team and create attention for yourself.

....i seem to recall you having a dummy spit not to long ago! pot--kettle--you know the rest.

clickhappy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:03 am

Hi Mr Smith.

I don't recall that thread, do you mind posting a link?

FlightShadow

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Are you simply quitting because you no longer take interest, are you "retiring" at the end of a long, enjoyable "career" of aviation photography, or do I sense some hostility? If it is the latter, why have a hissy fit over a rejected photo? Take a deep breath and move on. It's not that hard. Don't leave us out cold just because a shot (or a few) got rejected.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

CYEGsTANKERS

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:58 pm

The attempts at getting a good photo accepted no adays has got out of hand. Some who can afford the high price equipment can amazingly get it through the scive. I keep watching the acceptance ratio plum it and it looks really bad right now. Though I did have ramp access in the past and could probably get it again, it just seems very unfair to not only the ones who try but the ones who are new at this as well. I think this is a good site, photos, information and good for contacts, but the restrictions are escalating too much. All magazine photos getting in now. My little batch of small props lately is nothing to write home about, but that's airside.
2nd thread on this topic so,
My threepence
(I'll take a break for now and check back in when I can afford a
multimillion dollar lens)
Click, were you on about this photo?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1107420/L/
PS: Thanks PRAT (Mr. Gibson)

PUnmuth@VIE

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting CYEGsTankers (Reply 8):
Click, were you on about this photo?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1107420/L/

Your ability to plug your own photos is really amazing.
To make it easier for all the others  Wink

View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Barsby - Aviation Photography CYEG

-

FlightShadow

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 pm

Your sarcasm leads me to believe that you're just throwing a hissy fit.

I just had a photo accepted from a $150 camera without ramp access - it is possible.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

JeffM

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting CYEGsTankers (Thread starter):
regards,
Richard Barsby

Oh well, don't let the door... well, you know the rest.

I'll ask this again. If you don't want to upload, why do you feel the need to tell everyone? It's obvious you're looking for something else. Or as Royal said, you are just trying to stick it to the screeners.

IL76

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:43 pm

Don't forget to "plug your own photos with some silly comment when it's really nothing special" in all different forums before you leave...
Door Open During Flight! (by CYEGsTankers Jul 9 2006 in Civil Aviation) A Hole In The CRJ Fuselage? (by CYEGsTankers Jul 13 2006 in Tech Ops)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2631085
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2599635
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2235588
etc.

clickhappy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:48 pm

No, the shot I was referring to was (I believe) a Westjet 737.

CYEGsTANKERS

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 9):
Your ability to plug your own photos is really amazing.
To make it easier for all the others

Umm.. Very cute, you think of this in an internet cafe? And that was a link for Click.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 11):
Or as Royal said, you are just trying to stick it to the screeners.

Umm.. At what point did I state that? I stated the restrictions were too high throughout the site.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 11):
Oh well, don't let the door... well, you know the rest.

Umm.. Why do you even bother responding to my posts? Really, email me if you must.

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 7):
Are you simply quitting because you no longer take interest, are you "retiring" at the end of a long, enjoyable "career" of aviation photography, or do I sense some hostility? If it is the latter, why have a hissy fit over a rejected photo? Take a deep breath and move on. It's not that hard. Don't leave us out cold just because a shot (or a few) got rejected.

Didn't say I was quiting, stated that I was taking a break, rethinking if that's a better word for you.

Note the dots...

To keep it short, it's been MANY rejected photos, and no I'm not lacing them here. There have been corrections made to them as well as appeals. Also I have taken many deep breaths and seen that photos that have taken some effort in getting, yes, effort as in a car being stuck, being hassled by RCMP, chased off by farmers, although they are from PUBLIC roads, be swept away.

As I stated, I'm taking a break.
Richard

maiznblu_757

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Your initial post didnt say anything about taking a break.

codeshare

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:39 pm

Sounds to me more like a threat to temper the screeners not to reject photos ? It's getting out of control. At least try to post something sensible with some constructive arguments.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

BoeingOnFinal

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:02 pm

Who cares about acceptance ratio and that stuff? When I watch these great photographs in here, I think that this photographer is awsome to produce something like this. I don't look at the acceptance ratio. It's what's in here that counts, not the rejected photos that we can't look at anyways.

Keep sending in those great images, and it don't get accepted, try again. That is what makes this site so great, good quality. Not quantity or acceptance ratio  Smile
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

viv

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:36 pm

One of my most recent acceptances was taken with a point-and-shoot camera (Canon Ixus 800).
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

timdegroot

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:48 pm

Just had a look at your rejections and except from the latest one I see only correctly rejected shots.

You also don't need $1000s worth of equipment, especially when you have ramp access. I'd say a few hundred $ would be sufficient.

I honestly don't see the point of this post, and frankly I think you're just doing this to make us look bad.

Tim
Alderman Exit

linco22

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting Timdegroot (Reply 19):
I honestly don't see the point of this post, and frankly I think you're just doing this to make us look bad

checkmark 

Its sad to see you leave over an issue like that. Did you re-edit the shot and upload it?

Regards
Colin  Smile

flyfisher1976

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 18):
One of my most recent acceptances was taken with a point-and-shoot camera (Canon Ixus 800).

Good for you....sounds like you got lucky.

Just had a look at your rejections and except from the latest one I see only correctly rejected shots.

In your opinion...and here lies the problem...such a wide range of opinions and standards used by the screeners = inconsistent screening results. Getting pictures accepted here is more often a lottery than anything else. Different screeners on different monitors with different opinions on what is acceptable. Apparently, despite many discussions and opinions on how we could make the process more standardized and fair little is likely to change.

I'd say a few hundred $ would be sufficient.

laughing 

viv

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 21):

To quote Tiger Woods: "The more I practice the luckier I get".

[Edited 2006-09-19 13:06:42]

timdegroot

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:08 pm

In your opinion...and here lies the problem...such a wide range of opinions and standards used by the screeners = inconsistent screening results.

No in the opinion of many different screeners who rejected his shots. Very consistent I'd say.

Tim
Alderman Exit

ptrjong

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting CYEGsTankers (Reply 14):
photos that have taken some effort in getting, yes, effort as in a car being stuck, being hassled by RCMP, chased off by farmers, although they are from PUBLIC roads, be swept away.

Sounds like you are in fact frustrated because you no longer have access.

If you have something to say worth discussing, why not do so when starting the thread. You're talking so vague and incoherent.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

flyfisher1976

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 22):
To quote Tiger Woods: "The more I practice the luckier I get".

Comparing the acceptance standards on this site to any other "game" is rather silly. The only parallel I could draw is if each time Tiger hit the ball someone jumped out on the course, filled in the hole and dug a new one further away and in a different location.

viv

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 25):
Comparing the acceptance standards on this site to any other "game" is rather silly. The only parallel I could draw is if each time Tiger hit the ball someone jumped out on the course, filled in the hole and dug a new one further away and in a different location.

I do not agree with the parallel you draw.

While I agree that there is some (probably inevitable) inconsistency in the screening process, nevertheless I feel that the system, overall, produces good results that are fair to the photographers concerned. It certainly has been fair to me, overall.

Speaking personally, my acceptance rate has increased as my skills have improved. Is this a coincidence? No. Most of this improvement in my acceptance rate has come from practice, analysis of the results, and being very selective in what I upload. Of course, I still have days when nothing goes right. Just like golf, really.

[Edited 2006-09-19 14:14:08]

ptrjong

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 26):

Very much agree with Viv and with BoeingOnFinal in Reply 17.

It's perhaps a pity you cannot see your older rejected pictures any more.
I bet you would tend to agree with the rejection reasons for them.

While the standards are ever raising, this does give credibility to today's rejections (four out of six today for me eek  ) as well.
So try to count to ten first.

Peter Smile

DC3

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:33 pm

I sense that some of the frustration is coming from people who are trying to be more adventurous in their photography and have technically good shots rejected for motive. I say this because I know that if I submit shots of light aircraft parked up, taken with a standard lens, filling the frame, sun over my right shoulder, etc. etc. they will probably get in. Anything in flight with some propeller blur is risky and any type of creative composition is the kiss of death.

Having said this, the site is called Airliners.net after all, not Biplanes.net nor Whackyviewsofplanes.net so I have to accept the limitations. Seems a shame, though, because the site will never evolve and will just become an ever-growing accumulation of technically great but increasingly mundane photographs.

No offence meant here to anyone. Just tyring to be constructive.

Chris

Kukkudrill

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 18):

Canon A510, 3.2 megapixels:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano

Guess I'm lucky too.

Quoting Viv (Reply 26):
Speaking personally, my acceptance rate has increased as my skills have improved. Is this a coincidence? No. Most of this improvement in my acceptance rate has come from practice, analysis of the results, and being very selective in what I upload. Of course, I still have days when nothing goes right. Just like golf, really.

checkmark 

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

flyfisher1976

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 29):
Guess I'm lucky too.

checkmark  That's what it sounds like.

Show me a couple hundred shots from a photographer with nothing more than P&S gear accepted within the past 6-12 months. I doubt anyone can.

To get shots accepted here with any regularity?

...I doubt it.

jumbojim747

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Priority for shooting pictures.
1- Shoot and have fun shooting.
2-Enjoy your friends company and smell the lovely jet fuel vapours.
3- Enjoy editing your shots and see what you have come up with from a day out.
4-Upload shots that you think are valuable in terms of interest for Anet or for People that would view the shots.
5-If rejected move on as my friend once said to me Anet is not the holy grail of aircraft pictures so dont take it personally and move on.
Thats my 2 cents .
Good luck and happy shooting.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

aero145

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 30):
Show me a couple hundred shots from a photographer with nothing more than P&S gear accepted within the past 6-12 months.

Sorry, I can.

Look at my shots from beginning (April 18, 2005) to late December 2005, 95% taken with Canon DIGITAL IXUS i, the first version.

David Alfred Eliasson

acontador

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 31):
4-Upload shots that you think are valuable in terms of interest for Anet or for People that would view the shots.
5-If rejected move on as my friend once said to me Anet is not the holy grail of aircraft pictures so dont take it personally and move on.
Thats my 2 cents .
Cheers

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark  Cheers to that Alan!
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

IL76

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:20 pm

To play in a band, it takes a few hundred $ to get a decent guitar that doesn't detune constantly... Otherwise you keep practicing alone in your garage for your own enjoyment.
To go on a snowboarding trip with your friends, it takes a few hundred $ to buy a snowboard. Otherwise you stay home and play snowboarding on your Playstation for your own enjoyment.
To upload pictures at A.net, it takes a few hundred $ to get a good camera. Otherwise you stick to shooting prints for your own enjoyment.

It's all about priorities. A DSLR costs +/-$700 now. A couple of months no sigarettes, drinks in the pub or other unneccesary spendings and you can buy one... If you don't want to do that, there is always myaviation for you.

Kukkudrill

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:33 pm

That's what it sounds like.

Well, if it comforts you to believe that ...

Show me a couple hundred shots from a photographer with nothing more than P&S gear accepted within the past 6-12 months. I doubt anyone can.

I started shooting with a DSLR last December. From September 2005 (12 months ago, as per your requirement) to December I got about 50 shots accepted that I had taken with a point and shoot. To me that does count as "getting shots accepted here with any regularity".

I used to spend a lot of time editing each photo, and I did not have a stellar acceptance ratio. But then again the point-and-shoot I was using was atrocious compared to the current generation from companies like Canon. With something like an S3 IS I'd have had a much easier time of it.

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

linco22

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:10 am

Why are people so critical? This is an aviation website, database of top quality photographes and a great forum to boot. Is this place really that important to you that you have to make a song and dance about a photo being rejected?

aero145

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:08 am

regards,
Richard Barsby

Richard.

I think I remember you saying once in a thread that you bought a Canon 1Ds Mark II... If you still own it, why don't you use it for Av-Photography? At least better than the Olympus, I think

Or - it wasn't you who started that 1Ds Mark II thread...

-Aero145

PS: Yeah: My New Beast At Cost! (by CYEGsTankers Jun 21 2005 in Aviation Photography)#ID188045

[Edited 2006-09-19 18:09:27]

LHRsunriser

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:13 am

Sorry what on earth were u lot talking about again? apart form argueing?

Cheers Dom
Getting back into it

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:42 am

Yep, should be enough; a few hundred $ to the screeners for every shot you upload should be enough to get them accepted  biggrin   duck 

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

mikephotos

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Thierryd (Reply 39):
Yep, should be enough; a few hundred $ to the screeners for every shot you upload should be enough to get them accepted

A few hundred? That's all? You mean I've been sending Tim $1,000 checks for nothing? Oh darn...

Mike

PUnmuth@VIE

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 37):
that you bought a Canon 1Ds Mark II

Good find  Smile But it looks like he still needs the lense to attach to the body  Smile

-

aero145

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 41):
Good find

Thank you Peter.

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 41):
But it looks like he still needs the lense to attach to the body

Sad

jhribar

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 31):
Thats my 2 cents .
Cheers

This is indeed what it's all about! To be out in the field and shooting some interesting aircraft.

I have to admit though that sometimes when a shot is rejected which I feel pretty confident about, it can be a bit frustrating (Motiv cases in particular..)....but if I then think about this again....before 2003 when I still used slide film for photography I didn't really care about "uploading" any scanned shots as well.
After the films were send to the lab the "case was closed".
After receiving the yellow slide boxes back from Lausanne after 3 weeks I always enjoyed looking through the results and adding them to the personal collection.
Perhaps it would be good if we think more in a "celluloid" way sometimes......

rgds,

Jeroen
AirTeamImages