Historic747
Topic Author

Feedback For 1st Time Shooter

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:59 am

Hi All

This is my first attempt at trying to get photographs accepted here on A.Net. I am not new to aviation but I am new to photogrpahy. I will appreciate any feedback before I request the screener's resources.

The first photo was taken at SIN

This one was taken in BOM, India from the window of the plane that I was in. This is not a great photo (the weather was gloomy, the window dirty and so on) but you don't find photos out of airports in India. Any chance of this being accepted?

Finally, this picture was taken at FRA. Is this upto the A.Net standard?

All photos taken with a Nikon D50 and processed using photoshop elements 4.0. Thanks in advance to all responses. Truly appreciate it.

Regards

[Edited 2006-09-24 05:00:02]

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Feedback For 1st Time Shooter

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:28 pm

I am afraid none of them will make it. Sorry. The LH 330 is over sharpend to death.

And resize all of your photos in PSE 4.0 to about 1024 x ***. And be careful on your sharpening.

Good luck next time though!

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

psyops

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:34 pm

The best advice I can give is to follow the advice contained in the pdf file linked from the upload page by Fergul. This has workflow suggestion for editing photos in Photoshop.

Give that a whirl and then check back in the forum. I would suggest using the Lufthansa as your start point with that workflow, and show us the result.

Pete

Newark777

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:43 pm

The LH plane is the closest to being acceptable, although it would get a motive rejection due to the clutter. As Matt said, re size the photos to a smaller size to help the quality.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Historic747
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks everybody for the useful feedback. This time I worked through using Fergul's guidelines. I have tried not to oversharpen. Is this picture any better?
On a separate note, what does one accomplish using the command SELECT>MODIFY>EXPAND by 1 pixel before applying the USM.

Regards
Karthik

jetmatt777
Crew

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:43 pm

That looks 100 percent better. You did just about right with the sharpening. Now, try to level the shot by the lightpole to the left of the nose. It stil won't make it on A.net after that because of the clutter on the ground. Next time get a shot without the clutter. And do exactly like this shot.

Nice light BTW!
-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Historic747
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks Matt. I knew the clutter would spoil the shot. Did not have a chance to wait for the trolleys to move. I took this while boarding the bus that took us from the remote stand to the terminal.

AC773

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 5):
That looks 100 percent better.

More like 200% better, though now I notice some softness. What aperture were you using?

By the way, Ctrl + ' (apostrophe) superimposes a grid on the image and makes levelling a breeze. I use it all the time in CS2, and I'm relatively sure that Elements has it.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Historic747
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:30 pm

AC773, I was using a 6.3 aperture and shutter speed of 1/160 @ L=45. The amount of light was on the lower side as it was early morning and this had to be a handheld shot. Do you have any specific suggestions?

Thanks

Fly747

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:46 pm

For leveling this shot I would use the tarmac as a reference and use the measure tool. The light poles are not always perfectly straight.
Too bad the wheels are blocked, that would be a motive.

Ivan

[Edited 2006-09-24 07:54:04]

ptrjong

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 9):

checkmark   checkmark 
For the record, I think the photo needs more contrast.

Quoting Historic747 (Reply 4):
On a separate note, what does one accomplish using the command SELECT>MODIFY>EXPAND by 1 pixel before applying the USM.

Just making sure the whole object is selected I think. Fergul also recommends to expand the selection by 1 pixel between each layer of USM. I guess he's hoping to achieve smoother transitions, but the effect seems to be pretty minimal.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)