b764

Kudos To Officials @ MKE

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:52 am

I would like to give accolades to officials from MKE about their Layton Ave. observation area. Very nice! Only question is how long is the main runway out of use? It's nice to still see there a few airports in US that haven't turned into Fort Knox and hassle spotters (ex. 67nm Southwest of MKE).

SkyexRamper

RE: Kudos To Officials @ MKE

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting B764 (Thread starter):
67nm Southwest of MKE

Rockford hassles you guys? I've taken pics from right off the North American FBO ramp. The main runway is still in use, mostly for departures but is less in use do to new taxiway construction.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:45 am

There are some absolute gems for spotting out there, still. CLT is one-- their overlook is probably the source of most of the CLT photos on here, and it will likely remain that way until the fourth runway gets built. If you're more of a behind glass person, MSP is another (they keep the windows clean on their observation deck; you CAN get a.net quality photos from there).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SkyexRamper

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 2):
(they keep the windows clean on their observation deck; you CAN get a.net quality photos from there).

I once just flew up to MSP from MKE for kicks and spent my time on top of the parking structure, being 6'1" I had plenty of clearance over the wall and fencing. It's a great spot between the 2 main runways. I wish YX still in Lindy Term. I haven't been up to MSP since the routing went to YX 717s but as of Oct. 1st (a change in non-rev policy) I just might have to fly up and get better pics with my new camera and lens.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Bruce

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:32 am

I wouldn't exactly start a MKE love-fest. Yes, that observation area is great but the runway is hardly used! I asked on the other forum why 19R isn't used much, nobody really has a definitive answer. They even use 7R/25L when the winds are almost directly out of the south!

The parking deck is OK, not great just ok. The sun angle is bad and a lot of heat haze distortion is generated, even in winter.

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

VTBDflyer

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Bruce (Reply 4):
The parking deck is OK, not great just ok. The sun angle is bad and a lot of heat haze distortion is generated, even in winter.

The parking deck works for the most part. If you are going there for fotos, you'll need sizable lens like the 100-400. Otherwise it's defiantly good for spotting. I'm glad MKE is gaining some lovers. (we defiantly need it)  Wink

VTBDflyer
Fly Thai

Bruce

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting VTBDflyer (Reply 5):
If you are going there for fotos, you'll need sizable lens like the 100-400

My point was, if you are going there for photos, you still won't have an easy time even with the 100-400 lens. for example, shooting into the sun doesn't help.

However, if all you want to do is log numbers in a book, then by all means - visit MKE!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

VTBDflyer

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting Bruce (Reply 6):
My point was, if you are going there for photos, you still won't have an easy time even with the 100-400 lens. for example, shooting into the sun doesn't help.

Yep, just realized that.

VTBDflyer
Fly Thai