9V
Topic Author

The Sigma SD14

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:31 am

Sigma announces the Sigma SD14 digital SLR camera. The new SD14, powered by the 14 megapixels Foveon X3 direct-image-sensor, can reproduce high definition images rich in gradation and impressive three-dimensional detail. The SD14 improves over its predecessors, SD9 and SD10 and features four JPEG recording modes, large and bright pentaprism viewfinder with 98% coverage, a built-in flash, a large 2.5” 150,000 pixel resolution LCD monitor as well as high resolution and user friendly design.

Do any members on here use a Sigma camera?

aero145

RE: The Sigma SD14

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting 9V (Thread starter):

Do any members on here use a Sigma camera?

Bjoern Thomsen, SD9 AFAIK.

This SD14 doesn't look appealing to me, maybe that's because I'm not a Sigma guy, but I'm not sure; it's somehow... uuh.. ah nevermind.

But great that Sigma announced the 18-200 VR.  Smile

Parsival

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

Hi 9V,

yes - I used a Sigma SD10 (not a SD9) until I moved to a Canon 5D in march this year. IMHO the SD10 is not suited for aviation photography but I dont know if the SD14 will be better. If the SD14 has 14 megapixels in a Foveon chip then the pictures will have a resolution like a "normal" 4.6 megapixels cam (because of the 3 pixel layers in a Foveon chip). The SD10 has a resolution of 2268x1512 with 10 megapixels. Sigma has only one lens with image stabilizer (Sigma call this optical stabilizer) - the EX 80-400 which has no ultrasonic (Sigma call this hypersonic) focus mechanism. And you can only use Sigma lenses on a Sigma cam...

I think some sample pictures of a SD14 will say more then lots of technical parameters. And before buying one I would test it thoroughly!

Bjoern
sorry for my broken english...

aero145

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting Parsival (Reply 2):
(not a SD9)

Very sorry, Bjoern. Should have thought further back in time.