jetmatt777
Crew

Motiv Okay On This Shot?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 am

Hello,

In this thread:
RE: Laying Down The Rules (by Avsfan Sep 26 2006 in Aviation Photography)

It points out that shots will no longer be accepted that are close-ups of logos. Will my shot get rejected because of the logo, or will it be alright?

Shot in question:
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/Jetmatt777-928AN.jpg

Thank you in advance!
-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ThierryD
Crew

RE: Motiv Okay On This Shot?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:46 am

Won't be rejected because of the logo but certainly because of lacking quality; the shot it completely washed out.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

NicolasRubio

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:47 am

It will not be rejected... Read this...

Quoting Timdegroot (Thread starter):
You cannot zoom in so close that the outlines of the aircraft are no longer visible such as in these shots

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michal Kaczmarek (Wlkp_Spotters)
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeroen Westram

Quoting Timdegroot (Thread starter):
It is still allowed to have logos or artwork in the photos as long as a siginificant and recognisable portion of the aircraft displayed, such as in this shot.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manolo Aldana

Your shot is OK
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 1):
Won't be rejected because of the logo but certainly because of lacking quality; the shot it completely washed out.

OKay, I will pull it from the queue. While I am at it: Does this one stand any chance?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/Jetmatt777-35.jpg

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ThierryD
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 3):
Does this one stand any chance?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...5.jpg

Overexposed and as washed out as the tail shot; won't stand a chance in screening.
What camera are you using?

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
Overexposed and as washed out as the tail shot; won't stand a chance in screening.
What camera are you using?

Alright thanks.

I am using a Sony Point and Shoot (Point and Pray for me  Wink) to be exact: A sony Cybershot DSC-W5 5.1 Mpixel with 3x optical zoom, piece of crap really, but I've gotten three shots on A.net with it, so I guess it is okay.

-Matt  Smile

ThierryD
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 5):
A sony Cybershot DSC-W5 5.1 Mpixel with 3x optical zoom

Sorry to say but that shows on your pictures; if you wanna get pics accepted on A.net on a regular basis you should either avoid to photograph anything that moves with your Sony or buy a more competent camera. I'm talking out of my own experience; with these basic point-and-shooters it was already hard to get pics accepted when I started here some 3 years ago but you really won't see no light at the end of the tunnel nowadays.
However it doesn't completely explain why your images look so washed out. How do you edit them?

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 6):
Sorry to say but that shows on your pictures; if you wanna get pics accepted on A.net on a regular basis you should either avoid to photograph anything that moves with your Sony or buy a more competent camera. I'm talking out of my own experience; with these basic point-and-shooters it was already hard to get pics accepted when I started here some 3 years ago but you really won't see no light at the end of the tunnel nowadays.
However it doesn't completely explain why your images look so washed out. How do you edit them?

Yes, I am saving to buy a DSLR, preferably a Canon 20D. This the "Family" Camera, in a few months I will have saved enough money to buy the 20D. I edit all my pictures using Adobe © Photoshop © Elements 4.0. I edit them using different workflows from various A.net photographers, using different methods from each.

-Matt  Smile

ThierryD
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 7):
I edit them using different workflows from various A.net photographers, using different methods from each.

Ok, but the main goal should be to edit as less as possible; a perfect shot would only require you to re-size it and save it to your HD.
All the other shots (like 99,9%) wouldn't require much more however; some cleaning up (removing dust spots,...), contrast/brightness correction, re-sizing and sharpening.
The more you edit your shot the greater the chances that you mess it up so try to get the best out of our picture while shooting it; this means that you gotta get to know the limits of your camera and work the best you can within them.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 8):
All the other shots (like 99,9%) wouldn't require much more however; some cleaning up (removing dust spots,...), contrast/brightness correction, re-sizing and sharpening.
The more you edit your shot the greater the chances that you mess it up so try to get the best out of our picture while shooting it; this means that you gotta get to know the limits of your camera and work the best you can within them.

Yes, I know the rule: "If it take more than 5 minutes to edit, its not worth trying on Airliners.net" or something like that. I try to get the shot how I want it to look in the camera, Its just my p/s is restricting me so much, I am doing the best I can to get the shots to look even relatively good. Thank you any way for your tips, they are appreciated.

-Matt  Smile