mygind66

Drug Addict Or Photographer, Who's More Dangerous?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:25 am

Hi all...

I was yesterday taking some photos nearby the 24R at Palma PMI airport..
We were there in that moment me and this drug addict, me taking photos and She collecting syringes for some heroin that could be left.. The reason they come here is because the main place to buy drugs in Mallorca is just 200 mtrs from this point..
So came the police and came direct to me and asked me for my identification, car documents, what was that kind of radio I had ( scanner ), if I had been arrested before.. They didn't bother about planes and photos at all..so no 9/11 syndrome..
Of course my " buddy " continued searching for the heroin without any trouble 

That's Spain..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/mygind66/picota071006.jpg

Enrique

[Edited 2006-10-09 23:40:41]

Gary2880

RE: Drug Addict Or Photographer, Who's More Dangerous?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 am

braver man than me to take expensive camera gear around junkies !

Quoting Mygind66 (Thread starter):
Drug Addict Or Photographer, Who's More Dangerous?

I initially thought you were going to compare the 2, both spend copious amounts of money on things we dont necessarily need to get high on a good shot  Wink
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

mygind66

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 1):
both spend copious amounts of money on things

This worries me because one day one of these people will stop with the intention to steal my equipment. I used to come with my older son but I've left him at home due to the risk of accidental puncture with a needle..

Enrique

Gary2880

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:06 am

300mm L? fair size, quick doink over the head and run off Big grin

But yea, must put a damper on things having to photograph around them
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

psyops

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:16 am

The photo of the junkie will get bad distance, bad center, could use a little sharpness. The light is great, however, and can likely be saved.

Pete

clickhappy

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:57 am

bring a monopod, always a handy 'tool' when needed.

ptrjong

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:27 am

Looks like the junkie took the monopod.

Enrique, seriously, if the police has no problems with photography, why did they talk to you? I don't quite understand (and I'm coming to Spain next month Smile)

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Stealthz

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 5):
bring a monopod, always a handy 'tool' when needed.

Actually saved me once, at SYD some guys in a 4WD were parked in an inapproprate spot, Perimeter security guy called me over asked if it was mine, then asked if I saw the occupants could I mention that parking was a no-no in that place.
I did so,nicely, the driver responded with a sting of expletives not repeatable here and the passenger leapt out of the vehicle raced around threatening to "f#%$*&g deck" me. I had my heavy Manfrotto monopod with video head with me.. changing my grip on 'pod seemed to take all the fight out of the guy!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

f4wso

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting Psyops (Reply 4):
The photo of the junkie will get bad distance, bad center, could use a little sharpness. The light is great, however, and can likely be saved.

I would have thought just BADPEOPLE and level. Was Airport Overview checked? Good luck and safe photography. The saddest part is not being able to share your hobby with your son.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

DLKAPA

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Somehow I don't think you have to worry too much about junkies. Most of them wont walk the talk.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

mygind66

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting Psyops (Reply 4):
The light is great, however, and can likely be saved.

Thanks Pete for giving me some light about the quality Big grin However I doesn't matter what I shoot at..I get always a rejection. For me there's a tight relation between Screener=rejection...

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 5):
bring a monopod

Reminds me what I said yesterday in another thread. Have you slept thinking about my monopod Royal? I'm starting to worry about you r health. We could comment this with Paul if you want.
Otherwise a monopod is a good thing to have if you need to intimidate someone ( of course better than the 300mm )

Quoting F4wso (Reply 8):
The saddest part is not being able to share your hobby with your son

That was a motive to go to take some photos. My last upload (not rejected) was 3 or 4 months a go and I have just uploaded I think 3 photos this year...

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 9):
Somehow I don't think you have to worry too much about junkies

These are inoffensive but sometimes there come some others and in a car searching for drug...Not sure about them..

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 6):
Enrique, seriously, if the police has no problems with photography, why did they talk to you?

No idea Peter...They wanted just to bother me..

Thanks for your opinions..

Enrique

Stealthz

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Mygind66 (Reply 10):
intimidate someone

Intimidate hell.... in my case (see reply 7) I was in an isolated spot, the only people nearby had hostile intent, I am not proud of this but it is the closest I have ever been to being ready to inflict grievous harm on someone!

Back to the topic, hell Enrique, we know what dangerous folk aviation enthusiasts are and the trouble they can cause... see above note about monopod!!.. the young lady was merely picking up litter!!!

Cheers

[Edited 2006-10-10 16:29:58]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

dc10tim

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:43 am

I've heard that is a notorious spot at PMI for drugs Enrique. I know a guy who was there spotting a couple of years ago and went into some bushes to take a leak and nearly urinated on a Policeman who (with about a dozen colleagues all hidden) was waiting to raid a car parked nearby.

Is it really unsafe though? And what is the attitude of the Police to these people. I've had mixed experiences with the helpfulness of the Guardia Civil in the past, fortunately I've never been troubled at an airport.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

JakTrax

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:40 am

I had no problems out at PMI when I was there October last year. The only strange thing we saw were two Guardia Civil walking through an overgrown field (which was miles from anywhere!) - they walked straight past us and did not say a thing.

Karl

mygind66

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 11):
closest I have ever been to being ready to inflict grievous harm on someone!

Sorry not to answer to your reply Chris.. This is the point I don't wanna be in case 

The security inside the airport is taken by the Guardia Civil, a military police, and probably the best one in terms of effectiveness. Normally they're young people, from the mainland (culture a bit different to the people from here..).
The kind of police I had the 'interview' was the Policia Nacional. They are the ones who have to manage with drugs. I've read today in the newspaper there has been a police raid before my visit to the village where they trade with drugs.... perhaps this is a reason..

Cheers

Enrique

[Edited 2006-10-10 21:47:01]